Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 Post Lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 Post Lift
    Posted: 27-March-2019 at 12:34PM
I have been strongly thinking about a 4-post lift, both for vehicle storage and maintenance.  From what I have read, BendPak seems to be a decent buy.  Looking at their site, I think the BendPak HD-9XW would fit in my garage and has a nice high lift.  Anyone have a lift at home or any recommendations?  My garage has 12 foot ceilings, and I have radiant heat floor so I cannot drill into the concrete. 
How hard are these to build?  I'd like to build it myself.  I also will need to figure out a way to get it off the truck.  My neighbour has a skid steer, so that might work.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 1:08PM
i have a bendpak HD12SS i think it is?
 the SS stands for space saver (it's about a foot shorter length) but i don't think it's offered any more?  the 12 is for 12,000 lbs capacity

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-March-2019 at 1:12PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 1:25PM

I have two bend pak 4 post lifts. Great value, great features. I love them! I had to have them shipped to a industrial park where they loaded them onto my flat bed trailer. I put them together myself, with some help from 6 buddies, the ramps weighed a ton! Easy to assemble. I use them for storage and the occasional work.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2019 at 3:53PM
when i bought mine it came by truck, i had the driver pull up in the street, backed a flat bed tow truck up to the trailer and run the bed back another foot till it touched the trailer and winched the lift package onto the tow truck then backed the tow truck up to the garage door tilted the bed down and slid out from under the lift and assembled it!  only items extra needed are wiring to the lift and air supply to it for the safety lock release oh and 5 gals of 10W hydraulic fluid which can be bought at your local auto parts store Wink i assembled it by myself! only difficult part would be lifting the 2 ramps up onto it (i have that overhead trolley crane above it, so it was easy for me Big smile)

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-March-2019 at 3:57PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 11:15AM

Thanks guys, sounds like your experience are pretty good, much as I have read elsewhere.  When you say the ramps are heavy, you mean the little ramps your drive up on the lift with, or the long runways the car actually parks on?

Do they usually come with any wiring at all to hook up power or do I have to supply everything myself?  I have a 220 outlet near where I want to install it, and was hoping just to run a cable with a plug at the end.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 12:38PM
does the BendPak HD-9XW not require anchor bolts into the slab?

can you use a good stud finder to find your heat lines?

i'd hard pipe the elec supply to the ceiling and over to a box near the outlet and have a short jumper whip from the box so you can still use the outlet for a welder. 220 (or 221) is something you don't want to accidentally rip into Dead
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 3:44PM
You would Have to supply your own power cord, hyd fluid. I hard wired mine at the box on the lift and made an extension with dryer plug to my 220 outlet. This made things easy because when i am not using the lift i can unplug it and coil it around the pump to keep things neat. I am not using the concrete fasteners on mine either. The long runners are the heaviest part, about 250lbs each. I would recommend upping for the aluminum ramps. Easier to handle.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2019 at 6:21PM
yeah you could use heavy insulated wire like an extension cord with a plug. i just hard wired mine along the wall with flex conduit to my 220 a/c plug on the wall
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 1:28PM
Great ideas on the wiring guys. I like the idea of having a plug so I can use the 220 outlet for something else.  I will have to figure out if I need to run any conduit once I get it in the garage.

And Rock, Bendpak says that there is no need to bolt and of the HD-9 series lifts.  It seems the majority of installs I saw when researching were left unbolted.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 2:06PM
I have a BendPak 15K pound 4 post lift. Bought it along with a 2 post lift, body rotisserie, body stand, frame straightening tools, and everything else in a guy's shop a few years ago. Took it down there and transported it to my house, but have not assembled it here yet. I was afraid of the 2 post (with my luck) so I sold it. I've seen that 4 post do some amazing things.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 2:15PM
That's a ton of great equipment Joe!  I'd love a two post hoist, I much prefer them for maintenance work.  But I want to use the lift for storage and I don't want to take a chance and drill into my slab for fear of hitting a heating line.  Two posts are definitely a little more tricky, especially with trucks. I worked in a shop when I was young and I was pretty good at all types of hoists with all types of vehicles.  There were was one incident of a trucks falling off hoist a hoist by a careless operator.  My brother in law has a 2 post in his shop, but he lives pretty far away, so I have only used it a few times when visiting.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 2:20PM
I know the 2 post lifts are safe, but it wigs me out to think about working on a car with a 429 Squire wagon perched above me on just 2 pieces of steel.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 2:21PM
I don't think they yell "Timber" as they drop a vehicle on your head.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2019 at 3:48PM
yeah 2 posts are good for front wheel drive tranny work, i prefer the 4 post, great for having a low car...you can see how low it sits for exhaust and things as its on the ramps, plus you can lay tools on the ramps as your working on it Wink if you don't want to spend the $$$ extra for rolling jacks you can buy some 2 x 6  1/8" wall square tubing to lay in across the ramps and use bottle jacks on that to lift a vehicle for suspension work while up on the lift! i do it all the time Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 6:14AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I don't think they yell "Timber" as they drop a vehicle on your head.

Haha, very true.  And then again, with your past history and luck, it's probably a good idea you sold it! 
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

yeah 2 posts are good for front wheel drive tranny work, i prefer the 4 post, great for having a low car...you can see how low it sits for exhaust and things as its on the ramps, plus you can lay tools on the ramps as your working on it Wink if you don't want to spend the $$$ extra for rolling jacks you can buy some 2 x 6  1/8" wall square tubing to lay in across the ramps and use bottle jacks on that to lift a vehicle for suspension work while up on the lift! i do it all the time Wink

All our 4 posts we had in the shop had dual bridge jacks, front and rear.  It made working on one not too bad, but I still liked the more openness of a two post hosts.  Most of the techs at our shop preferred 2 post hoists, except the front end guys who had alignment lifts.  Then again, it seems brakes and suspension were the most common jobs and we did do a lot of FWD cars with blown motors and transmissions.  You do make a good point about low cars on the lifts. Corvettes often went on 4 post lifts, and a couple of times when we had vintage cars, like a '58 Chevy with an "X" frame, we used the four posts just to be safe.

Do you have a pic of your setup John for the bottle jacks?  If I buy this lift this year I definitely won't be able to afford the bridge jack (I will get on in the future though).  So in the mean time, I may have to do a setup like that.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 8:21AM
A 4-post lift is in my long-term wish-list. But at least I was able to get a 40lb blasting cabinet yesterday. Now I just gotta make room for it, then assemble it.

Edited by hogfiddles - 30-March-2019 at 8:21AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 8:35AM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

A 4-post lift is in my long-term wish-list. But at least I was able to get a 40lb blasting cabinet yesterday. Now I just gotta make room for it, then assemble it.

i say new thread for blasting cabinets!?

i have 1 still in the box, been thinking about just grabbing the dust separator rather than build a home brew.

also considering using rtv to seal the box ... maybe soda blast?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 10:03AM
My plan is to seal it as per other forums suggested.....and it's primary use will be soda-blasting
Dave
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 11:02AM
what's the secret tip?

any mods to the junk that comes in the box from HF to shoot soda?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 11:44AM
Im just gonna do it as I go along. Currently, I use a little homemade set up like this with my little pancake compressor.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/soda-blaster.html

I'll run it into the cabinet just to keep Soda from blowing everywhere. As I get my bigger compressor hooked up, I'll be able to do more. It's a project that will grow over time.

Edited by hogfiddles - 30-March-2019 at 11:45AM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 12:41PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

as for the lift... best $2,600 i ever spent! worth every penny! Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2019 at 2:28PM
^^^amen brotha^^^ Can't live without mine
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 5:45AM
Thanks guys, you're definitely convincing me to go for the lift this year. As long as I can get my car back together sometime soon, I should be able to do it as late spring/early summer purchase.

As for the blast cabinets, I just bought a 40 lb one too.  I will start a new thread on those in this section.
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 10:11AM
merge & clean-up Thumbs Up

72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 10:37AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I know the 2 post lifts are safe, but it wigs me out to think about working on a car with a 429 Squire wagon perched above me on just 2 pieces of steel.

No doubt!
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 10:38AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Thanks guys, you're definitely convincing me to go for the lift this year. As long as I can get my car back together sometime soon, I should be able to do it as late spring/early summer purchase.

As for the blast cabinets, I just bought a 40 lb one too.  I will start a new thread on those in this section.

I was debating on a lift but I'm limited to 10' walls.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 11:35AM
I have 10 foot walls but used trusses that raise up 2 feet inside the garage giving me 12 foot ceilings.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2020 at 2:44PM
I finally got a 4-post lift, only a year later than I originally planned.  I looked at the Bendpak, and really liked them, but ended up not getting one.  The prices had skyrocketed on them, and the one I  was looking at was almost $2000 more than when I first looked at one.  And from talking to some guys in the lift industry, apparently the local support is not very good.

i ended up getting a Direct Lift Pro Park 8+, which was more reasonably priced and is also ALI certified.  It has mechanical locks instead of air locks but I am okay with that.  The pump also runs on 110 instead of 220.  I didn't realize the Direct Lift is the consumer grade brand for Rotary, which is the lift brand we used back in when I worked in the shops.  In any case I picked it up and got it built and I am very happy with it.  It comes with most accessories like the casters, drip trays, and tool/bottle jack tray.  I also got the sliding bridge jack too for a little extra cost.  So far it's great, I'd recommend one to others.  

Here's the lifts on the trailer after being loaded.  My buddy bought a used two-post 12,000 forward lift (the blue one). 

Once I got it unloaded, a friend and I had it built in half a day.  

Vince

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2020 at 3:07PM
Excellent, great finish to that plan/project.

I could use a lift like that if I find the right house with a detached garage, or could build one with the right height ceilings. I do have a lift now, I bought one in 2006 to help me reconstruct my mail truck that was a roll over. I needed to lift the body off of two trucks, to clip one using parts of both. I had mine installed at my best friend's house, knowing I may never have a place for it, and the cost made the project less than buying a good vehicle at that time. I paid about $2600 I think it was with total installation costs. My truck ended up being around $5500 total, which was better than the near $8k of a comparable truck in great shape.

I thought about that kind of lift back then, but my current garage has just 10" 8" ceilings, not quite enough for two cars I figured(plus the garage doors are typical 7' maybe).

Enjoy that lift, it's much better to work on a car when it's at an ideal height. Watch your head if you aren't a short guy.

Do any current lifts get the car above 6' high, ideally 6' 6" maybe? I was disappointed to find them all way short back then, I'm 6' 1" now and you always hit your head once in a while, they are all too low.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2020 at 5:38PM
that may be the same lift i got brochures on for alex??? it was comparable to my bendpak at the time, i looked it over really well and spent a bit of time talking to the reps at louiseville thenWink alex later bought that one because of me Big smile

fwiw my bendpak goes 6' to the bottom of the lift! read the fine print!!! most are figured to the top of the ramps at 6' not a full 6' underneath!!!!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>