Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blast Cabinets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blast Cabinets
    Posted: 31-March-2019 at 5:54AM
I recently bought a 40 lb blast cabinet for my garage.  I got it super cheap on sale, but it's nothing fancy, just a Princess Auto (same as Harbour Freight, but Canada's version) unit. 

The Princess Auto one is the same, just blue instead of red.

My brother-in-law had one for years and said with a few mods they are actually decent cabinets for the money.  I came across this video which shows some decent mods:

Anyone got any comments on what mods work well with these type of cabinets?  Any other discussion is welcomed!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 6:01AM
As suggested, I'm starting a different forum for these......(until it turns out we were both posting one at the same time, so this has been merged into his.....lol)

I just bought the HF 40lb blasting cabinet. I do a lot of carburetor rebuilds for the Yamaha XJ-series community, and sometimes need to soda-blast. So, I've been planning to build my own. But with a recent coupon, ended up buying the HF one for just over $135.

I've been reading all the online discussions on upgrades, etc.......and yes, I'll be siliconing the whole thing and putting it on casters,

My plan is to have it be multi-functional. I'll use it primarily for soda-blasting, but will also use it for vapor-blasting. I will use it for other media-blasting as well.......knowing full-well that I will be using different hose/gun for that, and also need to flush and wash before soda/vapor again.i'll have to modify the bottom for different collection systems, and that's fine.

Over a period of time, I'll upgrade the light, the window, etc.... Just like in the online forums.

Any way I look at it, it will be better than my current method of doing it outside and losing all the soda each time. The good side of that, though, is the soda kills the weeds.....lol!

Edited by hogfiddles - 31-March-2019 at 6:10AM
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2019 at 9:19AM
i guess soda is a natural rust inhibitor also?

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 12:07PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

I just bought the HF 40lb blasting cabinet. I do a lot of carburetor rebuilds for the Yamaha XJ-series community, and sometimes need to soda-blast. So, I've been planning to build my own. But with a recent coupon, ended up buying the HF one for just over $135.

Did you watch the video I posted?  I am pretty sure that guy uses his mainly for bike carbs too.  He is a motorcycle guy. 

Anyone else on this forum have on of these HF cabinets?

Edited by 72FordGTS - 01-April-2019 at 12:07PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2019 at 1:05PM
OK i just watched it, good stuff!

i'm still considering the HF dust unit due to compactness & simplicity vs cost/time. a 25% coupon puts the HF unit at about $113? by the time i put together a bucket and a vac i'll bet it's not that far off? tough call though as the vac itself is multi-purpose, with a shorter bucket will the rig fit below the blast cabinet to minimize footprint and for ease moving it on the casters?

Edited by Rockatansky - 01-April-2019 at 1:06PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2019 at 6:20AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2019 at 7:43AM
Yeh, that's it.....i had put the link in a different post, not sure why it didn't show up.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2019 at 2:18PM
When you assemble it, caulk all the seams...
They leak otherwise. Sand/Glass beads/Soda/walnut dust everywhere.
Sugga-Rugga-Frigga-Fracka…..Mutter-Mutter, Curse Curse...

Edited by Big Bird - 02-April-2019 at 2:19PM
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2019 at 3:34PM
Yup.... That's why I said...

I've been reading all the online discussions on upgrades,, etc......and yes, I'll be siliconing the whole thing....

oh, I figured out why my post of the cheapo soda-blaster didn't show up......as I was typing the forum, the moderator was doing the same thing. He merged mine into the forum, and I ended up cutting out some of my post by mistake. At any rate, that little cheapo thing works well.

Dave

Edited by hogfiddles - 02-April-2019 at 3:35PM
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 12:25PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

OK i just watched it, good stuff!

i'm still considering the HF dust unit due to compactness & simplicity vs cost/time. a 25% coupon puts the HF unit at about $113? by the time i put together a bucket and a vac i'll bet it's not that far off? tough call though as the vac itself is multi-purpose, with a shorter bucket will the rig fit below the blast cabinet to minimize footprint and for ease moving it on the casters?

That would probably work pretty well, but seems to be quite a bit more than the dust deputy.  I may just try to make my own cyclone from scratch, there are some YouTube videos on it.  My brother-in-law used to use has cabinet at home to do a lot of side jobs.  He had it exhausted through a basement window (the cabinet was sealed up) and had no issues with dust inside.  Mind you he used it for sand blasting, not soda blasting.

oh, I figured out why my post of the cheapo soda-blaster didn't show up......as I was typing the forum, the moderator was doing the same thing. He merged mine into the forum, and I ended up cutting out some of my post by mistake. At any rate, that little cheapo thing works well.

Dave

Unfortunately due to the forum software, some of your posts are still in the 4-post lift thread.  I couldn't move everything over without making a big mess. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2019 at 1:55PM
Ah-hah!! I forgot about that one already--I bet THAT'S where it's at. When I get a chance, I'll try to copy/paste to here.

Dave
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
 Post Reply Post Reply