The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

starter vs flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plmcrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: starter vs flywheel
    Posted: 09-January-2009 at 3:47AM
A friend of mine has a 72' torino.It had  87' 302 with c-4.He put in a 89' 302 from town car with AOD.Now he has 89' 302 with don't know what year c-4 behind it,he has tried both 89' & 87' starters and both had same results.Just clunking noise as he put it,will not turn motor over any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.Oh,one more thing,he also put the 89' flex plate as well.Question  
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 1:38PM
Was the 87 302,C-4,running and starting before he did the swap?The 87 and 89 engines are the same.Same flexplate and starters,both used AOD's originally.What starter was in the 87 302/C-4 combo from the beginning and was it running before,why the swap?I did this swap to a C-4 in my 90 5.0 mustang when I first got it.I used the same 5.0 flexplate that was on my motor originally,because it's 50oz balanced and it's the same as a C-4,just different balance weight.I believe I used same AOD starter as well.Basically,If you keep everything on the engine side matched,engine,starter,starter alignment plate and flexplate,it should work.The 89 motor may be no good,I need more info,was this a running car at some point before the swap?
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2009 at 1:40PM
Also can you turn the engine over by hand with a socket and ratchet on the crank bolt?
 Post Reply Post Reply