The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Correct fluid advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct fluid advice
    Posted: 24-May-2020 at 1:58AM
I'd use whatever the rebuilder says and use that Type F for undercoating or something.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 4:04PM
my trans builder used Dexron in most jobs, along with the correct LubeGard product for units that require a specialty fluid like Mercon V.

he swore by the stuff, said it reduced his come-back failure rate significantly.

LubeGard Red is the supplement for Dexron

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 3:13PM
There are differences in the friction materials of today versus when the transmission was built. What type of rebuild kit did your builder use and what friction materials?  I used a Broader kit in my C6 and Broader recommends a name brand Dexron/Mercon 3.  He says if one is a "diehard Type F fan" that Type F is okay too and it will not damage modern friction materials.  He also says that a Mercon 5 semi-synthetic is good for cold or very hot climates, and that a full synthetic is good for over 2800 RPM stall converters or towing more than 10,000 lbs.  However, he indicates a bigger or more coolers are a better solution for high transmission temperatures.

FWIW, I ran Dexron in mine and no issues.  Plus its easier to find in the parts stores.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 12:07PM
Dexron
72 GT Ute

albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 10:44AM
gee , so the original Type  F fluid went 200 thousand miles ,  and you got some .  I would use it .  Then again if they want to use their new and improved fluid AND warranty it for 200. thousand I guess you can't get hurt
albos73gts
Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2020 at 10:11AM
Hi to all, I just had my C6 transmission / converter over hauled by a local tranny shop who has been in business for 30 years. Tranny had 200,000 miles on it so pretty much all the internals were replaced. As I am doing my own re install, they suggested I should not use type f fluid and upgrade to a newer, non synthetic fluid which they will supply to me for the refill. Currently there is no fluid in place. I can't remember the fluid type but they said it would reduce long term varnish build up and as I have all new seals, bands etc etc this would be the right thing to do. I am not totally convinced and i am looking for other opinions. Thanks ( As a side note I have a new pail of Type F that I was going to use on the reinstallation.)
 Post Reply Post Reply