The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C6 Modulator - Orange Stripe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C6 Modulator - Orange Stripe?
    Posted: 17-November-2020 at 11:14AM
The modulator on my 1972 Mercury with a C6 has an orange stripe and the number C 302 in orange text within the stripe. I have seen reference to orange stripe mod., but for an FMX trans. not for a C6. Anyone familiar with this one? I don't know if this is the factory original, I dropped the pan to install a new gasket due to a small leak and the fluid looks great - plus the screen is very clear. I'm guessing that it has been changed out. The rubber vacuum hose was hard as a rock, so I will replace it. 
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2020 at 11:18AM
FWIW< I always use a black stripe modulator for all my C6's over the years, said to give the best shift feel/firmness.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2020 at 1:08PM
is it a screw in or push in style?

72 GT Ute

texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2020 at 1:46PM
It's a screw in - here's a picture uploads/5585/IMG_7478.pdf
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2020 at 2:21PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

is it a screw in or push in style?

Not sure why they(Ebay seller?) explain that the black stripe modulator has a low shift point. Due to it's smaller diaphragm area the black stripe modulator will give a later/firmer shift. It is actually made for an engine with higher than normal vacuum due to it's diaphragm's "stiffness" and/or ability to resist or delay movement when vacuum signal is placed upon it. 

From Broader Performance Transmissions:

C6 Black Stripe Vacuum Modulator

This is an adjustable type vacuum modulator with a small diameter diaphragm for later and more firm shifts, or for engines with high vacuum signals.

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 3:10AM
Does altering the length of the modulator pin have any effect?

I learned a tip for the later A4LD's in the late 90's, adding an 1/8" to the length firmed the shifts a good bit. That amounted to finding a long one and cutting/filing it to length. I used some Chrysler transmission part, and I did twice, once for a 91 Explorer, and later for a 93 Explorer.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
texanrebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texanrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 8:42AM
No clue if it does, I ordered a black stripe modulator. Mine was a little sluggish so I'm sure there will be some improvement on the shifts replacing the orange mystery with a known replacement.
1972 Montego GT
1977 Mercury Monarch
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 8:48AM
I have a C6 that is newly rebuilt, but I think it's a simple stock rebuild. I will read up on what's best for the C6 to work on the VB etc. I'm used to the AOD and similar 90's automatics. This will be different to not deal with any wires, solenoids etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 9:01AM
This thread may help explain modulator pin and pre-load for adjustment to aid in correct shift timing.  

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2020 at 9:20AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

This thread may help explain modulator pin and pre-load for adjustment to aid in correct shift timing.

Thanks, I'll look over that more later when I get closer to doing the shift kit. I've barely driven this 73 once a month so far.
Don
WerbyFord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WerbyFord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 1:43PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

I learned a tip for the later A4LD's in the late 90's, adding an 1/8" to the length firmed the shifts a good bit. That amounted to finding a long one and cutting/filing it to length. I used some Chrysler transmission part, and I did twice, once for a 91 Explorer, and later for a 93 Explorer.

Yes a longer pin will also raise the shift points, 100-200rpm for fine tuning.
I make mine with cut off nails and file end smooth to shape.

Even the gasket makes a little difference - a thicker gasket is like shortening the pin.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2020 at 3:53PM
Originally posted by WerbyFord WerbyFord wrote:

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Yes a longer pin will also raise the shift points, 100-200rpm for fine tuning.
I make mine with cut off nails and file end smooth to shape.

Even the gasket makes a little difference - a thicker gasket is like shortening the pin.

Thanks, that's great information about the C6.
Don
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2020 at 10:50AM
There is no gasket used with later C6 modulators '72-on, only an O-ring on the mod's shaft to seal it within the trans case and it doesn't add or subtract from the pin's overall length. If the pin is too long(or too much pre-load), it will "hang" an upshift during WOT hits, too short and shifts tend to be too early and/or soft. It is best to have about 11.5lbs pre-load on the modulator/pin when you install it into the transmission's case(basically when using a weight scale, you should see 11-12lbs when the pin begins to move within the vacuum modulator). Look at what I linked earlier in this thread, it explains the pre-load adjustment. Most C6 pins end up between 1.625-1.688 when having the correct pre-load. Hope this helps.

Edited by aquartlow - 20-November-2020 at 11:18AM

Post Reply Post Reply