The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Tires due to Age/RWL Tire Choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Tires due to Age/RWL Tire Choices
    Posted: 24-April-2021 at 6:34AM
How long are you guys running your tires on your cars?  My BFG Radial T/A tires are 10 years old, but no where near worn because it doesn't see a ton of miles.  Most stuff I read online says that at 10 years we should be replacing tires.  It sucks to throw out tires with lots of tread life, but it would suck more to have a major blow out on the highway that takes out sheetmetal.

So how long are you guys keeping your tires? And what tires are you guys running?  Seems to be few choices for 15" wheels these days.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2021 at 8:16AM
Hey Vince,
 I have a good buddy who is a manager for a local Firestone and he told me when a tire reaches 7 years old, they "should" be replaced. Don't risk it, imagine trying to find a good front fender or rear quarter for a '72 GTS!

BTW, I have a brand new set of Firestone Firehawk 245/40/20's sitting in my warehouse but won't use due to age, they are 7 years old.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2021 at 9:21AM
I like to get rid of them before they get to 10 years old. I know a man with a now 27k miles 84 or 85 Mark VII, that he just put on the 2nd set of tires. He didn't have much cracking, he stored it inside always and sprayed something on the tires. Look for the car sometime in Pennsylvania, it's pink.

I just last year decided to use up my prior snow tires. They were right at ten years old, and I might put 300 or so miles on them per year. So I put them on last February before a snow then, and they lasted about three months delivering mail. Snow tires are super soft, they were great in the rain while they lasted.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 4:32AM
Thanks guys, the more I read, the more it seems that 10 years is the maximum for tires to be on the safe side.  My tires have an easy life, staying in a climate controlled garage and have minimal UV exposure, but in the end tires are cheap insurance.

I am reading problems about BFG Radial T/As having browning letter problems.  Anyone have this issue?  I am probably just going to stick with Radial T/As as they are easily available locally and I have had okay luck with them over the years.  I could probably special order the Cooper Cobras (they aren't stocked by any of the local tire shops), but to be honest, I am really turned off by the look of the RWL on them.  That is just my personal preference, so I don't mean any offence to those who like the Coopers.   
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 4:51AM
I also noticed those two tires coming up as the only choices for a couple of sizes I was interested in. The Cooper's were better for me, pricing and reviews, plus I have like the several sets of Cooper tires I've used recently.

How would you like the tires with the white letters inside? I would prefer the black walls out for my use, so is that an option for you?
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 5:24AM
i gotta wonder what if anything the affected Raised Brown Letter tire owners tried to get them white?

Westley's changing their formula (changed ownership) sure hasn't helped the whitewall community,
that Censored used to be the Go To but it don't work worth a Censored any more.
the Old Man used to keep a brass brush in the detail bucket for the WW's & RWLs

what size are you looking at, what do you think of Silvertown Redlines?

(it's a T/A Radial)

https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tires/product-line/coker-bfgoodrich-silvertown-radial-tires/sidewall-style/redline?ppckw=dsa-pl-tires&gclid=Cj0KCQjwppSEBhCGARIsANIs4p6JBo0xzB2nKaVg4qRpSpFEha4LdiW1cJuliuMq1cUPV5gY-h8vyR0aAv4_EALw_wcB&N=sidewall-style%3aredline
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 5:43AM
I am not interested in running blackwalls.  I like the 70s RWL look, just like when the car was new.  My favorite look was the original Goodyear Polyglas tires, but I am not buying repro Bias-plys. I also like to run a bigger tire that stock tire.  The BFGs looks good as RWL, so did the old Goodyear Eagles (long out of production).  I just find the Coopers have too much writing and it is too big.  If they dropped the Cobra and just said cooper, I think they'd look a lot better.

I am running 245/60-15s all the way around and will stick with that size.  The redlines are pretty cool too, but it doesn't look like they list my size.  We need someone to photoshop the redlines onto a 72 GTS 
so I could see how they look.

These were the original tires :

Vince

GTS.org Admin
paj1965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paj1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 10:47AM
Have you considered the Coker Tires Firestone wide oval radials?
My Toy List:
1972.5 Gran Torino Sport
2001 Mustang Cobra Vert
2001 Lightning
2013 Jeep Wrangler
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 10:58AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I am not interested in running blackwalls.  I like the 70s RWL look, just like when the car was new.  My favorite look was the original Goodyear Polyglas tires, but I am not buying repro Bias-plys. I also like to run a bigger tire that stock tire.  The BFGs looks good as RWL, so did the old Goodyear Eagles (long out of production).  I just find the Coopers have too much writing and it is too big.  If they dropped the Cobra and just said cooper, I think they'd look a lot better.

I am running 245/60-15s all the way around and will stick with that size.  The redlines are pretty cool too, but it doesn't look like they list my size.  We need someone to photoshop the redlines onto a 72 GTS 
so I could see how they look.

These were the original tires :

Those look very good with minimal lettering.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2021 at 3:42PM
Retro Bias Look Radials

https://www.cokertire.com/tires.html?sidewall_style=4651&tire_build=1621&tire_rim_diameter=1714&tire_type_multi=460

looks like the FR60-15 compares to a 235/60-15, it's a GR60-15 that compares to a 245/60-15

and of course they're not listed

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp

Edited by Rockatansky - 25-April-2021 at 3:56PM
72 GT Ute

pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2021 at 4:18AM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2021 at 4:23AM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2021 at 6:27AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2021 at 1:20PM
Thanks for all the links, but mail ordering isn't a good option.  None of the local tire shops will mount mail ordered tires.  Plus I can get them cheaper purchasing locally.

I like Rock's idea of the Firestones that look like bias-ply tires but are actually radials.  Those tires look so much better than any modern tire.  Too bad they are so expensive and that they also only come in smaller sizes.  I also wonder how they are for handling and traction?  BFGs are just okay, but not like a modern performance tire.  But the BFGs are way better than the old Polyglas tires.

Calling around today, I am pretty much limited to BFGs and Coopers.  The Coopers are more expensive locally because no one is a Cooper dealer so there is extra mark-up.  I got a good price on BFGs so will probably just go with them again...
Vince

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2021 at 1:32PM
Do you have Pep Boys in Canada?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2021 at 12:23PM
No Pep Boys up here.   I found a new local tire shop that specializes in custom wheels and tires.  He can get me the BFG's cheaper than anyone else in town, and  cheaper than most online vendors.  So I will probably just go with him.

The Coopers are growing on me, so I looked up the specs to compare to the BFGs.  One thing I noticed was that the BFG's are slightly taller but are a fair bit wider in the tread footprint.  In fact the 245/60-15 BFGs have a wider footprint than the Cooper 255/60-15s.  The Coopers have a higher speed rating though, rated at "T" vs "S" for the BFG.

Tread Width Diameter Weight
BFG 245/60-15 8.3" 26.6" 30 LBS
Cooper 245/60-15 7.2" 26.5" 26 LBS
BFG 255/60-15 8.5" 27.1" 31 LBS
Cooper 255/60-15 7.9" 27.0" 28 LBS

Edited by 72FordGTS - 27-April-2021 at 3:26PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2021 at 3:57PM
the other day i saw a new Vette  on my way home from work,

the red accent sidewalls caught my eye for sure Thumbs Up

i think they might've been these?

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2021 at 6:07AM
I have never seen those before, but they look pretty cool!
Vince

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2021 at 9:20AM
they really catch your eye going down the road, internet search doesn't come up with any distributors offering them for sale though?

another article on them popped up on another page,

"It is definitely a product aimed towards the upper crust of the auto world, though, with full sets ranging from $1,600 to $4,800 depending on your Aston Martin, Porsche, or otherwise. These colored P Zeros are unfortunately only available for 19-inch wheels and larger as well. Their tagline is “Exclusivity Changes Color” after all."

so scratch that i guess, but this is pretty interesting, https://www.tirestickers.com/consumer/

GRAN TORINO SPORT / POWER BY FORD raised whites?

GOOD ENOUGH .... MAY POP  ....

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Edited by Rockatansky - 01-May-2021 at 9:59AM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2021 at 11:59AM
72 GT Ute

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 2:40AM
Here is what I noticed over 50 years of raised white letter tires.
1. All turned brown over time, regardless of the manufacturer. 
2. Everyone has their own methods to clean them 
3. Tire shine attracts brake dust and road grime QUICKLY! 
4. My aluminum wheels need weekly attention. At that time Simple Green is used on my white letters. They stay white. 
  This car has Cooper Cobra tires all around.  Prior to that , the last  2 cars all ran BF Goodrich. 
 So, what I've seen over the years,  disc brake dust will be noticed quickly. Tire shine  turns everything brown (I don't use it). Everyone has their own cleaning methods and personal choices for tires..
Steve M.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2021 at 3:14AM
I don't dress my tires, but I did that for years in a detailing job.

Try Brown Royal for a serious wheel and tire cleaner. I have a gallon of that which I needed for some used forged wheels I bought many years ago. That stuff will hurt wheels if you spray it on in full sunshine and let it dry. But it is very good to clean with, if you are careful to use it properly. I would try to only use it on a cloudy day, and keep the wheels wet constantly. I had to scrub a lot to remove old build up, and it did that, but the process also revealed or added some corrosion in places. I have liked the Brown Royal for general wheel/tire cleaning during normal car washing.

I use Purple Power for most general tire and lower side cleaning, gently on the front bumper too on occasion. I dilute that to about 20%, more than that does more damage to paint etc.
Don
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 9:40AM
Thanks for that bulletin Rock.  My new tires have slightly browned just of a few letters just from sitting in the garage.  I was able to clean them up but now I know why they do this.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2021 at 7:59PM
speaking of tires due to age... this tire of mike's did this just sitting here! it had a small split in the tread was only moved 30' and it grew to this in a year ShockedOuch

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2021 at 10:27AM
I have two recap tires on my "stored" Ranchero, I gave $20 each for them in about 1993. They have both gone flat many times, and one separated a little around the bottom.
Don
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 12:11PM
I'm running Nankang 15", but if youre wanting to show the white lettering they would look wrong. lol

Theyve been around a long time & make decent stuff. Seem a little softer than the other stuff in this size.
No comparison shoot outs for these sort of tires that i could find. 
Al
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2021 at 9:05AM

245/60-15 front, 295/50-15 rear
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2021 at 2:57PM
looks like youve got some decent back space on the rear.
Al
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2021 at 4:12PM
I actually lucked out. Those wheels came on a parts car I paid $200 for. They're 15x8 with 4½" back space. Those 295's sit dead center of the wheel wells. About an inch clearance on either side.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2021 at 6:56PM
good stuff!
Al
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>