The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Differential oil capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Differential oil capacity
    Posted: 20-May-2021 at 12:50PM
Hey guys, have a question regarding differential oil capacity. 
I am in the process of converting my ranchero to rear disc. I am putting a rear end off of a 79 continental back there. The 3rd member I have in a nodular one with no fill plug. 

Sooooo, I wanted to put a fill and drain plug in the actual differential housing. 
Paul at Cook's machine shop out in East LA, did the drain plug for me. Tried to sub out the fill plug work and recommend a place in garden Grove that had the capability to put a fill plug in the actual 3rd member, like most of them are. I've read it's 2-1/2 quarts depending on the type of housing

So I was thinking if anyone knew how much oil a big bearing differential housing used then I could have my friend place the fill plug on the housing for me so I could get it re assembled and put into my ride. 

Any help would be great guys, thanks a lot. 
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2021 at 3:12PM
The oil capacity for the lincoln mark 4 rear end differential is two and a half quarts. I do not know if the lincoln continental rear end differential is larger than the lincoln mark 4 or lincoln mark 5 rear end differential. And i do not know if the lincoln mark 5 rear differential had a larger oil capacity than the mark 4 rear differential. The oil fill plug is usually installed half an inch above the oil full line.

The ford 9 inch rear end differential also uses two and a half quarts of oil.

Edited by pete rad - 20-May-2021 at 4:14PM
Dmarc28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmarc28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2021 at 3:36PM
Thanks Pete, I appreciate you and your reply. 

pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2021 at 4:11PM
Your welcome. I meant to say that the oil fill plug is usually installed half an inch above the oil full line with two and a half quarts of oil in the differential.

Even the full sized fords such as the Galaxies, LTD's and Marquis's from 1972 through 1976 that came with the 400 and 460 engines and the larger rear end differentials, used two and a half quarts of oil in the differentials.

Edited by pete rad - 20-May-2021 at 6:19PM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2021 at 12:48PM
Get a picture of the correct location and match it. do not obsess about amount of lube, as the axle housing cavities are different from year to year or chassis to chassis. Lube needs to be deep enough to do it's job.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2021 at 6:03PM
what randy said!
 here's the location of the fill plug...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2021 at 12:18PM
   I will say that when I did a reseal on the 2.75 in my car shortly after I bought it, I only had about a quarter in there. When it started to leak out I stopped. Mistake on my part for sure but never had any problems with it. When the center was pulled to put the trac-lok in, no oil spilled out of the housing. I would never make that mistake again.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 4:32PM
Side note: it also depends if you are running the ball bearing axle wheel bearings, or a Type 20 Timken roller bearing.
The reason that changes is if you are using the OEM factory roller bearings, they need axle tube seals put in the ends of the tubes before the axles get installed.

Now in the case of the heavy duty Type 20 tapered roller bearings, you actually want to run more gear oil to ensure the axle wheel bearings are getting lubed. Typically I've done 2.5 or 2.75 quarts on my 1972 small bearing 9" housing.
I will be installing my 1976 housing in the spring, with my '72 N case carrier and I will be filling to the fill port on the carrier. Because I am planning up upgrading axle shafts from stock and going to Type 20 bearings, I've seen 3-4 quarts of oil at times.

Clear as mud? ;)
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply