The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

302 harmonic balancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 302 harmonic balancer
    Posted: 06-February-2009 at 6:04PM
Hi again, I'm back with a new question about a new motor. I picked up a long block 302, needs bits and pieces put back together...

I was given three harmonic balancers and I picked the best looking one ie. cleanest, and my pulleys do not line up, the crank pulley is about .25" too close to the block. I figured there were spacers available to remedy this.

Now that I have been reading about balancers I am unsure if I have the right one and admit do not know anything about them. How do you measure find the weight, 28.2oz vs 50oz, mine weigh about 6 lbs and 10 lbs.

Do the balancer and the flexplate need to be matched somehow?

The block is a 302 out of a 1968 Mustang with 289 heads, rebuilt 10k ago. The small balancer is three bolt, the larger are four bolt, I only have a four bolt crank pulley...

thanks for any info.
-Steve
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 8:45AM
Your 68 302 is a 28oz balance.ford started using the 50oz balance around 1980,so everything before that is 28oz.Yes the flexpalte and balancer need to be matched,both 28oz or both 50 oz,etc.Is the engine still out of car?You can look at the flexplate/flywheel for the wieght welded or cast in.A 28oz is a short weight,about 2 inches long,a 50oz weight is easily twicw as long and rectangle in shape,a 28oz is more square shaped.This should also be evident on the backside of the balancer.Ford had so many different balancers and pulley choices that it's tough to know what you have.The 3 bolt crank pulleys were mainly used in the 60's and early 70's and then ford switched to the 4 bolt pulley like around 1973 or so.What are you putting the engine in?New stock balancers are pretty cheap likw $50-60 bucks,If I were you I would probably just buy a new one for your cars application so you get the right one for your pulley alignment.
71torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 9:02AM
The motor is going in a 71 Torino 4dr sedan, replacing a worn 4.1L 6cyl.

The flexplate i was given has a weight about 4" long, from your description I'd assume 50oz. I still do not know how to figure the weight of either of the balancers...

Are there pro/con's to using either the 28oz or 50oz weights? The flexplate is new with the exception of light surface rust on one side, I would like to replace as few parts as possible.

Thanks,
Steve
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-February-2009 at 11:37AM
I really wouldn't be switching it to 50oz if your not sure what crank is in engine or if it had been balanced at machine shop for 28oz balance.Assuming engine was rebuilt using a stock crank or if original crank was recut,you need to leave it 28oz unless told otherwise by guy you got engine from or the machine shop that did work.You can't swap balance weights because crank is also a determining factor.Weighing the balancers might not give you a clear cut answer,you need to know what/where they came from.You really need to talk to whoever you got the engine from.
71torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2009 at 8:54AM
Can you identify the crank, locate the casting number, without disassembling the rotating assembly?
The guy I bought it from really only knows how to roll a nice tight splif...
starsky76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsky76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2009 at 1:28PM
Yes you can,just remove the oil pan and you have to look for the numbers.It will be there somewhere on the crank.Ahhh,a stoner.....
 Post Reply Post Reply