The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reproduction seat upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reproduction seat upholstery
    Posted: 22-July-2021 at 8:56AM
There is a member who bought his seat upholstery from Autokrafters and had the work done by an upholstery shop. 
Originally posted by The Member The Member wrote:

"I Bought a complete black vinyl repro set from AutoKrafters out of Virginia which included the material for the front fold down and the two piece rear seat and had my local shop repair the frames, repaint them, install new foam, and put on the covers for $325. The quality of the vinyl was OK and the rear seat did not have the embossed pattern on it that was in the center of the original, but considering what I started with, I'm happy with it.  Notice also, that the fronts have only 1 button whereas the original had two".
There is a picture below.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/dearborn-seat-covers_topic2254.html

Edited by pete rad - 22-July-2021 at 9:26AM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2021 at 5:19AM
That looks great.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2021 at 4:04AM
My driver seat bottom was the only issue I had on mine.  Got a yard of fabric (non weave) from the mustang place noted above and had a local upholstery shop sew in just the bottom part and he matched the stitch pattern  (on a 69).  It is a bit lighter as it's new vs. 50 years of build up, but the pic below seems to magnify the difference.  Has worn well in the ~5 yrs. since done

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
Travis91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2021 at 5:52PM
yeah i have been wondering about the sets from Macs and Ecklers too. My rear seat is pretty decent, just some cracks around the edges but the front buckets in my car do have some pretty big tears in them. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2021 at 8:36AM
For $750+ for new seat coverings, I could learn, and manufacture the stuff myself and buy the tools to do it with.

That's how I learned to build transmissions, I thought $2500 was crazy for a day's labor with $250 of parts included. I bought about $400 of tools, and built one. After doing three others I knew I didn't need the trans shop anymore, which was 20 years ago.

Prices are nuts for some things, when you can you have to just say no, and find a better way.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
SEKCOBRA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEKCOBRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2021 at 7:07AM
Thanks. Just the material alone is over $1K. Thinking of doing the repop stuff but would have liked to see it first.
69 MACH R CODE

70 TORINO COBRA J CODE
71 TORINO COBRA J CODE
72 Z28 CAMARO
94 MUSTANG 5.0 LX NOTCH
72 GTS Q CODE
61 Galaxie 427
62 Galaxie 406 tri power
64 Galaxie country sedan 390
1972 GTS Q CODE
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2021 at 12:52PM
I know some have used the repro stuff on the forum, and it is noticeably different than the original.  It is more of a stamped pattern than the original woven vinyl.  I couldn't find a pic on the forum, but this cougar site shows some repro comfortweave up-close, which should give you some idea:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2021 at 7:21AM
What did they call the crapulent cloth upholstery in 77-79? 
It wasn't velour (not quite the 80s yet)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2021 at 2:09PM
Originally posted by SEKCOBRA SEKCOBRA wrote:

Any pictures? Did you get the comfortweave material?

I did not take any pics...yet. A '77-'79, (at least mine) didn't come with comfortweave. These are what
mine looked like when I got them, used simple hog rings/hog ring pliers for installation:

1979 Ranchero Split Bench Seat Upholstery

I used my original buttons where these have them "embossed" into the vinyl, look MUCH better that way. Very well made and fit was excellent, extremely satisfied with the way they turned out.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
SEKCOBRA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEKCOBRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2021 at 11:30AM
Any pictures? Did you get the comfortweave material?
69 MACH R CODE

70 TORINO COBRA J CODE
71 TORINO COBRA J CODE
72 Z28 CAMARO
94 MUSTANG 5.0 LX NOTCH
72 GTS Q CODE
61 Galaxie 427
62 Galaxie 406 tri power
1972 GTS Q CODE
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2021 at 4:09AM
FWIW, I used seat covers from here https://mustangmarket.net/Torino/Torino-Main.htm  to recover my original leather power seats in my Ranchero, the fit was excellent and the vinyl material seems to be very nice, so much so I would not hesitate purchasing another set to re-cover another set of seats I have. I wanted to redo them in leather but costs were way too high to get them done locally. Check them out, they saved me over $50 on the same looking seat covers from Ecklers/Mac, it took a while to get them due to them being made as an order comes in. Hope this helps. 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
SEKCOBRA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEKCOBRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2021 at 2:40AM
Hi
Has anyone used the repop seat upholstery kits from Macs or ecklers? If so what did you think about it? If possible could you post or send me some pictures? I got a number to do my seats with the original material and its crazy expensive.
Thanks
69 MACH R CODE

70 TORINO COBRA J CODE
71 TORINO COBRA J CODE
72 Z28 CAMARO
94 MUSTANG 5.0 LX NOTCH
72 GTS Q CODE
61 Galaxie 427
62 Galaxie 406 tri power
1972 GTS Q CODE
 Post Reply Post Reply