The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the park brake switch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the park brake switch?
    Posted: 15-July-2021 at 12:35PM
I’m sorting through issues on my Torino and now looking at the park brake system.  I may have to replace cables sometime in the future but for now, I’d like to find out why my dash “BRAKE” light does not illuminate when the park brake is engaged.  The bulb is good.

I’ve looked through the shop manual and step 2 says to remove the left cowl (kick) panel and disconnect the wire lead at the switch.

I cannot find any lead nor any switch.  I’m scratching my head on this one.  Any help is appreciated.

On a side note; I know the bulb works as I recently discovered the connection at the pressure differential assembly had been disconnected.  Plugged it back and and the dash light illuminated.  I have a good idea why that’s happening and will deal with that later.  The assembly is similar in design to that used on MGB’s.  I’ll get the shuttle centred one day and hopefully clear that snag.
“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2021 at 12:54PM
The parking brake switch is on the foot pedal assembly of the parking brake. It's close to the pivot point of that pedal, it should be fairly easy to find up there.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2021 at 1:24PM
Thanks Don.  I would of thought it should be obvious but I can’t find anything that looks like a switch on the assembly.  I’m wondering if it was removed in a previous life but you’d think the wiring would still be there.

If anyone has a photo, that would be great.
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2021 at 5:07PM
I may have found out something.  On a Mustang forum, I found an old thread where someone asked a similar question to mine.  Someone else replied that only cars with the “Convenience Package” had a park brake “on” light.  That could explain why I have no switch or wiring.

I also found another site that has a used park brake assembly for sale and it shows a rubber block installed that I think is where the switch would be installed.  I have this same rubber block on my assembly.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2021 at 5:10PM
This shows the rubber block’s location:

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2021 at 6:47PM
  It was definitely an option. Saw that in my manual the other night. Makes me want to look at mine now.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2021 at 1:32AM
I'm sorry, I forget that some things we now assume are standard on everything, may have been options for all older cars. My few 70's Fords all had the parking brake light and switch

I have seen the parking brake assembly for sale on eBay many times, NOS also. If you need it, I'd look there, but the NOS choices were very high as I recall.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2021 at 4:54AM
No worries, Don.  I’m learning as I go with this car.  Having the dash light isn’t a high priority; I’m just trying to figure out what I have.

I like to have components work as they were designed thus the reason for looking into this.  The park brake does function so that’s a plus.

I should clarify that the “convenience package” is more accurately stated as “Safety Convenience Package”.  It added the park brake light, low fuel light, door ajar and seat belt light from what I’ve read.
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2021 at 5:26AM
There is a picture below of a 1972 torino parking brake switch. It is mounted at the back of the parking brake pedal assembly. I know that yours is a 1968, but the 1968 pedal assembly looks similar to the 1972.

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2021 at 7:25AM
most didn't have that switch! some of the later cars possibly? the above pic is correct if it had a switch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 1:46AM
The picture below is a 1972 torino parking brake switch. This switch is mounted at the front of the parking brake pedal assembly. Both this front mounted switch and the rear mounted switch in the picture above contain a plunger rod and a spring, and a mounting bracket with a screw, and an electrical connector area for a plug.

When you apply (push) the parking brake down the plunger goes outward to turn on the parking brake light. Maybe different ford assembly plants used different switches, or maybe the rear mounted switch in the picture above is a factory installed switch and the front mounted switch in the picture below is a dealer installed switch.

Edited by pete rad - 18-July-2021 at 2:43AM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 1:47AM
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 2:29PM
This is a photo of my park brake assembly showing the rubber block.  It would appear the original owner did not select the "Safety Convenience Package" in 1968.

av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 2:32PM
Argh....sorry about that.  I resized the image and it got turned 90* for some reason.  Still working on adding photos and text.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 2:56PM
  You may not have the correct wiring for the switch. Based on the face that my panel has no belt or brake option. I am guessing it is a separate system (to use Phantom Works lingo) for each. There are provisions for both but bulb holes have no ribbon. The two inboard sockets are vrake on left, belt on right.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 3:00PM
    Also, there is an extra connector in the gauge wiring that I assume is for the belt system.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2021 at 3:03PM
 Post Reply Post Reply