The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Factory ride heights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory ride heights
    Posted: 27-July-2021 at 9:19AM
Anyone have the specs for the factory ride heights of a '68 Torino Sportroof?  Mine appears to be sitting high in the front.  Don't know if it's too tall in the front or too low in the rear.

A Google search has failed to turn up any specs.  I looked at an old photo of my first Torino from 40+ years ago and it appears to sit lower in the front.

I'll get some numbers off my car and post later.

Thanks!
“Speed costs....how fast do you want to spend?”
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2021 at 10:43AM
Is it high in the front or low in the rear?
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2021 at 3:16PM
Originally posted by av8or55 av8or55 wrote:

Don't know if it's too tall in the front or too low in the rear
That’s exactly what he’s asking about...
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2021 at 4:02PM
   Someone with one of those cars will have the numbers on theirs but the factory specs will be a challenge. It will most likely be getting data from many cars and averaging them out. Toss the extremes at either end.
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 2:52AM
There are pictures below showing the original ride height from the factory.

Edited by pete rad - 28-July-2021 at 2:58AM
pete rad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete rad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 2:57AM

av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 4:45AM
The photos help, thanks.  Mine looks high in the front based on those. Too much gap between the tires and fenders.  

Factory numbers will be challenging.  I’m hoping someone with a ‘68 or ‘69 can provide some numbers.  If it is front springs, I’d like to confirm as I plan on replacing shocks in the near future.  Will do the springs at the same time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 4:58AM
maybe your rear springs are trashed, or shocks are weak
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 5:40AM
Shocks are definitely time-expired.  Old pair of air shocks installed in a previous life.  I tried pumping them up but they just laughed at me.

The rear springs don’t have any obvious issues but if original, they could also have reached end-of-life.

I’m going out to get some photos and measurements.
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 7:56AM
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 8:01AM
That is the current stance of my Torino.  It's not horrible but doesn't look quite right.

Measurements taken from centre of wheel to bottom of each fender lip:
LF: 15 1/2"
LR: 12 3/8" 
RF: 15 1/2"
RR: 12 3/8"

Measurements from floor to bottom of fender lips:
LF: 26 7/8"
LR: 23 3/4"
RF: 26 7/8"
RR: 23 3/4"

Car is pretty level side-to-side but a three inch difference front-to-back

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 8:36AM
Measure from the suspension main points, not the body to the ground. Body parts are often not mounted perfectly true and level to the other body parts, can be 3/4" off side to side. On uni-body cars it should be closer to the same, body or suspension. Most variances are with body on frame cars.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 9:29AM
Standard shock absorbers (not air shocks) do not affect standing height.  
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 9:37AM
most cars i've seen have softer springs in the rear and sag after time. also keep in mind rear wheel openings are lower in the rear since the rear tire don't steerWink
 my simple answer is remove and cut the springs a little... not real hard to do, i've cut dozens and dozens of springs no big dealWink
 cut from the open coil end, generally  each 1/2 a coil cut = 1" of drop...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 9:50AM
Never been a fan of cutting coil springs.  I don’t know if they’re even at fault here.  I’d put money on the rear leaf springs being weak.

If I had or could find some measurements, that will narrow it down to which end is the problem.  I am aware shocks have little effect on ride height.  Air shocks inflated to their maximum may lift the car somewhat.

I’m going to lift the car at the rear with the springs hanging and see is that changes the front gap.

Thanks for the replies 👍🏻

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 10:05AM
Clap
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 11:10AM
Reason I asked is with most cars as the rear springs sag, the nose goes up. In your picture, the rear tires seem up into the wheel wells quite a bit...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2021 at 4:01PM
You are correct, Big Bird.  I did jack the rear and watched the front drop slightly.  In order to get a level stance, the rear had to come up about 4”.  The front dropped about an inch.  Looks like I’ve got some old springs back there.

Rather than use the fender lips, I took measurements off the body line as this is constant front to back. Measuring from the floor to line, the front is 2” higher than the rear.

I’d still be interested in knowing what the stock ride height is and what datum is used for the measurements.  Will have to continue the search.

Cheers
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 11:18AM
Below is a diagram from the '69 shop manual that might help.  

I have a '69 formal and the front wheel floor to molding is ~25" and ~27-1/2" on body seam.  Rear body seam is ~27-3/8", so a bit of a sag, but not too much.  These cars tend to trick the eye a bit with the higher front opening, but the body seam measurements don't lie.  From the pic you posted, looks like front may be high.  Mine has new shocks, but original springs, front & rear.

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 11:53AM
Thanks Dave.  Your body line looks more parallel to the road than mine does.  I’ll compare your measurements to mine.

I forgot to make note of them but as mentioned, the rear on my car is definitely lower than the front based on floor to body line measurement.

Good shop manual image.  That will help. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 12:19PM
   Is that manual section on frame alignment on a machine?  Pretty sweet to find that.
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 4:12PM
^^^^^  Not real sure, I assumed it was level ground (tho the scan is slightly crooked :) ).  Manual doesn't mention anything about a frame alignment machine.
Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 4:42PM
   Interesting for sure. Is there one for a 72 sport somewhere that we can sticky?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2021 at 12:34AM
I’ll look through my books
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2021 at 11:27AM
what engine and have the intake manifold or heads been swapped for alloy?

the FE intake manifold weighs a ton, swapping it to alloy would lighten the load on the front end quite a bit. other intakes same effect to a lesser extent. same with removing or replacing the factory A/C compressor with a modern unit. as you're aware most likely the rear springs have given up some at this point, also possible the front springs have been updated and they're holding the nose up a little higher? if after replacing the rear leafs you still think the nose sits too high, cutting a 1/4 coil at a time is no big deal. not talking about anything drastic, just a trim. FWIW i had a 68 Montego that broke a front spring, we swapped in a set of Lincoln / limo springs that pointed the nose at the horizon. they held the suspension at the top of travel so we cut 1/2 coils until it sat center of travel, no issues

figure the bottom of the car / rockers should be about parallel to the ground for a factory stance,
and don't forget to check the caster when you get it where you want it

Edited by Rockatansky - 30-July-2021 at 11:32AM
72 GT Ute

av8or55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av8or55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2021 at 11:43AM
Intake and heads are iron.

My money's on old leaf springs.  I'll order new ones one day.  If it bottoms out over speed bumps, that "one day" will be sooner rather than later.

Post Reply Post Reply