The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Calling upon those that have replaced a roof skin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling upon those that have replaced a roof skin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling upon those that have replaced a roof skin
    Posted: 29-October-2021 at 8:45AM
Weather is turning, and it’s time to gather supplies and knowledge on this project on the ‘73 sport roof. 

Do you guys have any tips/tricks or things to be aware of? Tips on trim removal? Already aware of pulling both front and rear glass, and the likely pain in the ass to source the correct rear glass rubber..

Plan is doing the skin only, but I do have the whole spare roof to work with. PO cut it at the pillars as far down as he could with a sawzall.

Going to sand off paint to see where the spot welds are, cut those out with a spot weld bit, and de-lead the seams. Going to coat the inside what I can with something, likely POR 15. And weld through primer wherever necessary. I want to weld the seams when going back together with it. Is that ok to do, or is there a reason not to?

Frank
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2021 at 12:05PM
not claiming to be any kind of an expert but splicing the pillars seems like a lot less work than Censoreding with 85 bajillion spot welds.
i also avoided the factory seam in the C pillar / sail panel and formed my own offset / lap joint

Edited by Rockatansky - 30-October-2021 at 8:16AM
72 GT Ute

Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2021 at 12:29PM
yea, I’ve thought about that too, but to do that you gotta be pretty accurate to get it right. Knowing my luck, the glass wouldn’t fit in one corner after I got done, lol! Pretty sure the PO tied it down too tight while transporting with a couple of rags, cause there’s a crater on each side the I need to straighten out..

Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 8:21AM
are you doing the skin due to rust damage?

when i peeled the skin off i found the support structure was as bad or worse than the skin itself

72 GT Ute

Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 8:25AM
Yes sir. The vinyl is alligatored pretty bad. It may be inevitable to use the whole roof, but it’s been out doors for quite some time, so there would be some work to do on that as well. May have to remove the skin regardless, just to address the rust on the structure…

Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2021 at 8:58AM
yup, i didn't find out until i got there
72 GT Ute

shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2021 at 1:41AM
I am doing the same this winter to my roof.  I haven't pealed back the vinyl yet but did just score the fastback roof.  Any tips or tricks would help.
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 8:48AM
Got the trim removed and peeled off all the vinyl. What a mess, lol. There’s further evidence of wreck damage on the rear passenger side. There’s a crater the diameter of your head that some joker smoothed out with filler. Rust holes above the rear window that they spray foamed…..haven’t taken the headliner or rear glass out yet, but I’m thinking it’s gonna get the whole roof structure and everything for sure now. Yay.

Frank
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 9:37AM
Spray foam, agh.....what a nightmare.  I cant believe people use that on cars.  
keep us posted. Thumbs Up
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 12:08PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

not claiming to be any kind of an expert but splicing the pillars seems like a lot less work than Censoreding with 85 bajillion spot welds.
i also avoided the factory seam in the C pillar / sail panel and formed my own offset / lap joint

How/where did you decide to make the cuts? I’ve gotta do some measurements, but I’m thinking about using the window trim posts/screw holes for reference points, and leaving about an 1/8” to trim down and make a perfect transition…

Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 1:36PM
i don't recall exactly what the thought process was at the time but it started something like that, i just started measuring and marked both roofs at the same points. measure a couple 27 more times and start cutting. leave some material if you want an offset lap joint. i did an offset lap on the sail panel and straight cut for a butt joint on the A pillars
72 GT Ute

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 2:34PM
i'd take a measurement vertically up on the center of each window openingWink you could either put a piece of tape there to mark on or make a small nick so you can find your initial center point you took the measurement fromWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 5:14PM
Originally posted by Bueller Bueller wrote:

Weather is turning, and it’s time to gather supplies and knowledge on this project on the ‘73 sport roof. 

Do you guys have any tips/tricks or things to be aware of? Tips on trim removal? Already aware of pulling both front and rear glass, and the likely pain in the ass to source the correct rear glass rubber..

Plan is doing the skin only, but I do have the whole spare roof to work with. PO cut it at the pillars as far down as he could with a sawzall.

Going to sand off paint to see where the spot welds are, cut those out with a spot weld bit, and de-lead the seams. Going to coat the inside what I can with something, likely POR 15. And weld through primer wherever necessary. I want to weld the seams when going back together with it. Is that ok to do, or is there a reason not to?

Frank

Frank, I just moved into the northeast Kansas area late 2021. I've done the roofskin on my GTS, but I'd like to see pictures of where your car was cut and where the donor was cut. Concerns for me are joining the roof like the factory did. 
If the A pillars got butchered, you are going to want to make sure you do some internal reinforcement. In case of a roll over, you don't want it failing. You may need to do an internal plug with thicker steel to reinforce the A pillars structurally.

Other minor things, stripping the seams, wear protection, as they used lead on these cars.
Face mask, and a painter's tyvec suit is highly advisable. Lead in the ole bloodstream is a bad deal.

I'm working into getting active here again on the Forum, so if you send me messages, and need advice, I should be around. Also I can get you my number for my cell phone, easier to talk over the phone sometimes.

Pictures right now would be the big thing to see what you have to help determine the best path.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 6:40PM
Badass, man! Glad to see we have another local-ish member. James from tonganoxie drove his ‘73 base down to the Ottawa car show and we were able to hang out. Hopefully we can all get together this summer.

As far as the car is concerned, it hasn’t been cut yet. The roof off of the donor car, was cut previously by the PO (friend and coworker), and he said he cut it as low as he could with the sawzall. I’m bootingg up the PC right now, so that hopefully I can get the pics loaded. They are on facespace though under one of the GT groups. Just look for Frank Knobel.

It appears to me that the C pillar has factory filler on the driver side. It’s not lead, and it’s definitely different on the passenger side, and more of what I’m used to seeing. Welding a rod, or something into the A pillar has crossed my mind. I’m also thinking about putting an offset flange in on the rear to weld to. That way I’ve got a small amount of wiggle room to move the roof where it needs to be in space…

Frank

Edited by Bueller - 06-January-2022 at 6:53PM
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 10:58PM
super easy to remove the lead... just heat it slightly until it starts to melt and with a hand wire brush it will fall right offWink even just a propane torch will work as it dont need to be real hot
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2022 at 8:48AM
Can’t get pics to load on here from my phone. Not smart enough to figure it out. Tried doing it from the PC, but it’s been a while since I’ve used it, so I found myself in the 7th ring of update HELL, and went to bed after that was done, lol.

Made a little progress today before work…After some trial and error, took the dremel with a cut off wheel, and a razor blade and managed to cut the top off of the rock hard window seal. There’s no way it would come out any other way without breaking it..it was that hard! Hopefully I can borrow the big suction cups from work today, and I can lift it straight out the top with a little help from the son..

Frank
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2022 at 7:21PM
Back glass came right out the next day, with help from the wife. Removed rear of interior along with headliner, and got a better idea of how bad it is. Structure all looks way better than I thought aside from the back one, and it looks good from the bottom, but I think the top layer is toast. Roof skin needs to come off, or I just need to cut the skin in that area to figure out my end game. It might be a little more work, but I’m leaning toward doing the skin again. I just think it’ll be better to keep the bones like they are rather than hacking it up. 

Shifting gears, does anyone know where to find the metal clips that hold the quarter trim pieces on the bottom of the vinyl that wrap around the body to the back window? Been looking on the inter webs but not having any luck. They fit into the holes and have 2 fingers on each side that attach to the trim..mine are all rusted out and deteriorated.

Frank
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2022 at 1:21AM
aveco ( i may have spelled it wrong)  makes most of these trim clips
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2022 at 2:18AM
Auveco......

Quite a bunch of parts are discontinued, though, so you may still need to go to ecklers or any other number of sources——
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2022 at 1:25PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

Auveco......

Quite a bunch of parts are discontinued, though, so you may still need to go to ecklers or any other number of sources——

All of the usual suspects don’t have them. Been looking for 3 days, but auveco (around page 40…) has them….23691B in bulk…I’ll have to get a hold of them, and see if they can help me out with not a 1000 of them, lol

Thank you, sir!! They have a lot of good stuff

Frank

Edited by Bueller - 11-January-2022 at 2:33PM
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2022 at 10:05AM
Update: called them and the bulk package contains 2500 which is all they have and all they’re going to have…DOH! Also, they don’t sell to the public, so you gotta find a dealer. Dealers around me, are LMC truck, and Miller tool. LMC doesn’t have them, and has never had them. Didn’t even try the other place, since they deal in air compressors. Looks like I’m hosed in finding anything local. Guess I’ll have to make something else work.

Frank
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2022 at 11:17AM
Auveco is an old manufacturer and one of the very best, but not for customer service. I was hunting for late model Ford striker bushings, and they were who I was referred to from everyone. I spoke with them and found out then that they only make very large runs, and not often for each item. So you have to deal with other sellers, and most places now won't buy large quantities of items which are rarely purchased.

I think that this new normal in supply and demand is going to be bad for a long time.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 5:46AM
Yea, you’d think they would be able to move more products if they didn’t sell 2500 at a time…guess they probably have their bread and butter items they sell until they don’t…then we’re all screwed, lol

So ‘I think’ I’ve got the right ones coming. eBay wanted more general terminology, so I put ‘Ford fastener’ into the search box. After a lot of scrolling, they finally showed up. Guess they used them for Pinto Mouldings as well. We’ll see when they get here, but they look identical. I got 30 of them just in case someone else needs them down the road, or I need replacements in the future for some odd reason.

Gonna start drilling out spot welds as soon as the spot weld tool gets here, and get some progress going. Also getting a bead roller coming for building a new package tray structure, since the original has been hacked off for some reason. Working on the 4R70 while impatiently waiting……..

Frank
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 2:13PM
Great job Frank, finding the moldings you need. I hope those are correct, searching for parts is a tough skill to learn.

I recently realized I needed the Sport door handles for the panels I just got, and what was on eBay was not good to see. One NOS part was $125ish, and the used one was $49, and in rough shape. I expanded my search, and found a pair from a seller of Studabaker parts, with no application info. I got them for about $28, the pair, NOS, and they look like a match with different D20B part numbers. I haven't compared them to my others yet, but I think I got lucky with the search.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 4:24PM
Its definitely a challenge finding the correct parts that hold a car together, and you don’t see from the outside. 

I hammed up one of my wheel bearing covers on my ‘49 F-4 truck, by beating on it, thinking it was a interference fit like most. But noooooo, it was a screw on style. Never even heard of such a critter! Thought I was totally hosed, and I ended up finding a SET OF 4(!) NOS Ford scripted ones that the seller advertised as 1930’s vintage. Got the whole set for like $30! I think 2 we’re repops, but the other two are definitely ford. They embossing was really crisp on those anyway. Fit right on, and look exactly like what was on it.

The way the market seems to be climbing for these ‘72 Torino’s, hopefully it’ll get a little easier eventually. I’ve seen several decent ones for sale in the 6-$8,000 range. And several that were roached out ones missing drivetrains, wheels, and damaged bodies for $2,500. Doubt they’d ever get that much for them but you never know. From what my mopar aficionado coworker says, even the gtx, challengers, and chargers nobody wanted back in the 80’s and 90’s, and now there’s junk ones of those going for crazy money!

Frank
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2022 at 10:20PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Great job Frank, finding the moldings you need. I hope those are correct, searching for parts is a tough skill to learn.

I recently realized I needed the Sport door handles for the panels I just got, and what was on eBay was not good to see. One NOS part was $125ish, and the used one was $49, and in rough shape. I expanded my search, and found a pair from a seller of Studabaker parts, with no application info. I got them for about $28, the pair, NOS, and they look like a match with different D20B part numbers. I haven't compared them to my others yet, but I think I got lucky with the search.

don, D2OB-6322615-AA is the drivers side handle! and D2OB-632214-AA is the passenger side for inside sport handles!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 2:53AM
Thanks Johnny, those are what I just found, those numbers match the pieces I bought. What threw me was this eBay listing which shows a Ford box with a different number, and it's in the description; https://www.ebay.com/itm/144133623724?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I looked again, and there is one picture that the part number can be seen, and it's different from their box/listing. I was hunting with their part number, so it makes searching harder when you work with unknown data etc. Fun fun.
Don
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 3:15AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Bueller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bueller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 4:04AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Frank, not sure where you are with your roof skin project, but here are a few pages from my build blog covering my skin replacement....

http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2009/04/skinning-da-cat.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2009/06/popping-top.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2010/02/roof-repair.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2012/04/almost-there.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2012/04/almost-there-2.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2013/01/inner-structure-repaired.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2013/01/hung.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2013/02/scuffed.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2013/02/shes-baaaaaaaack.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2020/02/update-020920.html
http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/2020/08/080120-update.html

Hope that's not TOO much information! LOL LOL

Good luck!

Having trouble finding the roof repair…managed bro get to the blogger thingy, but all I can see is the grille repair, hood, work, and a few other things.
I tried copy and pasting it as well. I’m guessing it’s because I’m using safari on my iPhone…

Frank
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2022 at 4:11AM
Frank, TRY THEM NOW....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 16-January-2022 at 4:35AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>