The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need ignition help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michmusman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need ignition help
    Posted: 07-November-2021 at 1:56PM
Hoping for some wise advice.  My '72 Torino Base, 351C-2V sat for a couple of months while I had fuel system overhauled.  Negative battery terminal was disconnected the whole time.  Carb Rebuilt, fuel tank cleaned pressure tested and sealed.  New sending unit, fuel pump and filter.  Flushed the lines.  Hooked everything back up and fuel is delivering to carb just fine, but I have no spark.  The coil is getting 12V from the battery, When I put ignition switch to accessory voltmeter reads 5.6V.  Tried it with brand new coil and got the same readings.  My buddy thinks that with accessory on we should be reading higher than 5.6V and suggests there is a ballast resistor line somewhere that might be bad.  I am puzzled how something can just spontaneously go bad since it started fine before I did the fuel line.  We tested spark directly from the coil to the plug and got no spark so it seems like there's something not right before the distributor.  Any thoughts?  Is there a resistor somewhere on the vehicle and if so, where it connects?  Any suggestions on where one might be bought?  Local auto parts store lists a ballast resistor cable but says it is no longer available.  The picture they had doesn't look like anything I can see tracing the wires

Thanks!
Steve

72 Gran Torino
former 71 Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2021 at 3:56PM
its a wire coming right out of the ignition switch at the connector.
 try a temp jumper wire from the battery to the power side of the coil see if it starts? if so its along that wire somewhere or the switch...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2022 at 4:37PM
There is a resistor wire built into the harness to drop the voltage after starting. McFord once had the specifics quoted out for the purpose of the resistor wire dropping voltage after first cranking to not burn up the points, if I recall.

Another item, Check the voltage directly at the battery. if it's not at least 12+ volts, trickle charge for a few days to bring it back up. if it's 10 volts or less, could have a bad cell. I have had batteries that are older drop a cell or two from sitting and age.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply