The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help identifying a 1976 Gran Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncisbell11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help identifying a 1976 Gran Torino
    Posted: 28-December-2021 at 1:49AM
Greetings, I am looking for some expertise on the 1976 Gran Torino. I had one in high school and trying to remember the specifics of the vehicle. It was a two-door with a half landau top and the 351 Windsor engine. It did not have bucket seats. I can not remember if it was an elite or brougham. I don't think it was a sport model. What additional information would help answer the question? Thank you for assistance.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 2:42AM
Welcome to the forum.  If you car was a '76, it wouldn't be a Sport as it was discontinued in 1975.  Otherwise it could have been a Torino, Gran Torino or Gran Torino Brougham.  An Elite was a whole different animal and had completely unique sheet metal.  It was also technically it's own model in 1976, not a Torino anymore (that was 1974 only).

Here is a 1976 Torino:

Here is a 1976 Elite:

Take a look at the '76 Torino Brochure and the colours nand upholstery links on this page .  This will help you narrow what specific model you had.

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
johncisbell11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncisbell11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 7:22AM
Thank you for the information. I am reviewing the models and do not see the half landau roof option. The 1973 model looks very similar with interior/exterior color scheme. Did that year offer the roof option, auto transmission with a 351 engine? 

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 2:02PM
the half vinyl could have been a dealer installed item???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 2:15PM
That picture that I posted above of the 1976 Torino with the special value package has a landau style vinyl top.  Look closely and you can see it.  Like John says, many were also dealer installed.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2021 at 2:19PM
i noticed that after i postedEmbarrassed dont see hardly any like that! IIRC the cougars these years had that half vinyl
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
johncisbell11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncisbell11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2021 at 8:33AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information. Upon further reflection, it appears the vehicle may have been a 1974/75 model. I was reviewing the color schemes and noticed the specific color scheme of my interior matched the one listed for 74 and 75 only. The half landau top could have been a dealer installed item. I have no way of verifying that information. 

Jfarrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jfarrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2022 at 6:40AM
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/76-ford-gran-torino/7452705562.html

There is a 1976 Torino for sale in Northern California.  Looks clean
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2022 at 8:52AM
The year to year changes that distinguish the 1974, 75 and 76 from each other are pretty subtle. About the easiest way to tell is to look at the steering column. The 1974 models have either a straight across wheel spoke, and/or a Rim Blow steering wheel (2 spoke or 3 spoke). The 1975 models did away with the Rim Blow wheel and went with the "frowning" style of wheel spokes and then for 1976, both the gearshift knob and the turn signal knob went from plated chrome to black. The sheet metal never changed and neither did the grill nor the tailights. The standard instrument cluster warning lights changed positions in 1976 as well...the BRAKE light and the FASTEN BELTS light swapped positions from what I recall. The Mercury Cougar and Montego front bumper changed slightly with the addition of cooling slots being put into the front portion below the grill for 1975. In 1975 new options were availablesuch as a Security Lock Group, Space-Saver spare tire and a FUEL ECON light. Beginning in 1976, Ford began to de-content their cars and moved ordinarily standard items such as tinted glass over to the option sheet. 

So, if you know what to look for, you can easily find out what year your Torino is without trying to decode the VIN.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 78FordLtd2 - 23-March-2022 at 9:06AM
Timrr69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timrr69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2022 at 3:20PM
I have this exact car. 1976 Torino. Silver with the landau roof. 
 Post Reply Post Reply