Petronix Ingitor 1 and alternator light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petronix Ingitor 1 and alternator light
    Posted: 24-February-2022 at 5:31AM
Check your voltage across the battery terminals when the car is running.  You should be somewhere around 13.5 to 14.5 volts.  If it's lower or higher, you have a charging system issue.  I am assuming you have an external voltage regulator on your car?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2022 at 12:01PM
   Test the alternator. Local parts place will do it for free. My guess is you caused it somehow moving the wires around during the swap.

-Just throwing it out there as I am not familiar with your setup.
jkluesner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkluesner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2022 at 10:45AM
Hello all, 

I installed a Petronix 1 Ignitor electronic ignition on my 1968 Torino GT 390 and also replaced the old coil (was leaking a bit of oil) with a refurbished model from CJ Pony Parts (yellow cap). The car runs like a top, however my alternator light is on now when running. I was unsure about the infamous pink resistor wire issue, as I had read multiple accounts where people left it stock if using the stock coil (or refurbished).  

Do you think the alternator light is on because of the Petronix 1 installation? Would a failing coil cause this (maybe bad refurbished)? 

What is weird is that the car runs fine (great actually) and did not die when running it for a while, which I thought would happen if the alternator is not charging the system. Any advice/direction to take is greatly appreciated. 

-J
1968 Torino GT 390 hardtop
 Post Reply Post Reply