The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I’m new HELP!! Rare Torino!!????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m new HELP!! Rare Torino!!????
    Posted: 26-February-2022 at 3:07PM
Hello everyone! I’m new and I just bought a 1974 Gran Torino Elite to restore! This Torino need lots of work, so any help finding body stuff would be great. The reason I bought this car is because I’ve never seen a Torino like this! It has a Hump on the trunk like a Lincoln. I was told it a special order deal but I’ve never found another pic of one also it’s trim code is GD I’ve decoded all the others but can find the GD code anywhere. Any help would be appreciated!!

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2022 at 7:58PM
welcome!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 1:28AM
We need to  see pictures once you are upgraded  , you can  search 74 gran Torino coding , GD is a interior code for dark red , never saw a production Elite like you describe but  Continental kits where available for most cars even V.W. bugs . 
albos73gts
Flyingcoyote44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:14AM
Thank you for the reply! I searched and found a website and used the decoder they had but it didn’t show the GD code and yes it has red vinyl seats and red interior. The car is white and HAD a brown vinyl top, I have searched every package I could think of with no luck. How long does it take to be able to post pics?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:24AM
Welcome, you will be able to post pictures when Vince gets to upgrading your account, he is quick.

Post some picture when you can, it does sound like an aftermarket trunk like the Continental kits from the 70's and 80's.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:30AM
Welcome, I have upgraded you to a new member so you can post pics and have full forum access.  We have lots of decoding information and reference material to help research your car.  See these posts here and follow the links listed on those pages:

Also you can get a Marti Report on your car which will tell you its individual history and options.

As far as I know, the continental kit or trunk hump would not be original to any 1974 Grant Torino Elite.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 9:49AM
Welcome and yes, post pictures. 
Steve M.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:41AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:42AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:46AM
Sorry I was having trouble uploading the pics. I dont know if she can be saved but im going to try. I just dont understand why someone would go through so much trouble and money to put the HUMP on it. I is very well done and looks factory, but it is a cap and has no function other than aesthetics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:52AM
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:53AM
it’s made of fiberglass ? There is the same trunk
Lid for sale in Minneapolis Clist for 100$ right now   Listed for 72-78 t bird but I think that’s  a match for these cars??  
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 4:55AM
it must be fiberglass when the rest of the car around it is ROTTED away , save the trunk lid !! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 5:01AM
It is not fiberglass, I just dont know??!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 5:04AM
I also says Ford Elite around the Hump and it has a very nice Gran Torino flip trunk badge on it.
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 5:47AM
I just saw a bronze colored 77 Thunderbird recently on Ebay or another site that had the same "hump-style" trunk on it. 

I thought maybe it was borrowed from a Lincoln product at some point in its life, but maybe it was a special order item. 

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can explain in better detail. 

Welcome and thanks for sharing Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 9:40AM
the 72-76 thunderbird trunk lid listed in Minneapolis is fiberglass . 
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 12:41PM
I'd guess it's an aftermarket trunk lid or a modified original trunk lid but it's not factory. These kind of add-ons were popular during this time.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 1:58PM
I like it it ! , the elite was sold as the poor mans Lincoln .and it looks really good on that car . just got to fix   the roof rust . 
albos73gts
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2022 at 12:45AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2022 at 2:13AM
I have made a mistake, I could swear that the hump was metal but the ole magnet test proved me wrong it is fiberglass. Im not a big fan of the hump its probably an aftermarket thing that someone went through alot of trouble to do. Does the hump make it more valuable?? I want to make this car my own, I was going to make this car stock with the hump if it was worth it, if not I will save the trunk and find a different one to put on. Any Ideas??
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2022 at 10:02AM
It looks fine on that car to me. I have owned five Mark VII's so I'm very used to the look, it's unique. For that car people might think it's something else at first glance, but no big deal, a careful look and it's obviously a 70's Ford mid sized Torino or cousin model etc.

Edited by 72 RS 351 - 01-March-2022 at 10:07AM
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyingcoyote44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2022 at 3:07AM
Thats a cool car my buddy has two 1990 LSC mark vii and I think they look great, I just need to get this car in my shop and start tearing it down Ill figure out what to do with the Hump once I get to that point.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2022 at 3:11AM
Get down to the floor and under the top to see how bad it may be rusted. That will be the ultimate factor to see if you can fix it.
Don
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2022 at 1:00AM
Welcome, the Elites are very cool. So, by now you have figured out that the humped trunk lid is not factory and is indeed an aftermarket unit. Good luck on your project and making it your own. 
I'm kind of partial to trunk humps and only have to walk outside to my driveway to see a couple of examples. (The 1980 Versailles is a 43K mile, 1 of 1 Ford Exec special ordered car, and the frost covered Mark V is a 90K miles Cartier edition.)

JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2022 at 10:40PM
      JT, when did you get those???Shocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2022 at 12:17PM
Ya the Mark 5 , " brake r ,brake r , come on back "  that's a  cool  car . 
albos73gts
JonnyTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2022 at 5:43PM
Hello, this is my first time here. I am an owner of a 1974 Gran Torino Elite. This is the only year the Gran Torino Elite was badged this way. I started researching this vehicle after I purchased it. This is a rare combination Torino Elite and a Continental trunk from Ford.To answer your question YES!! Your vehicle may have came with the same option as mine. I came across this vehicle by chance.  I work at dealership  My customer purchased a new vehicle and no room ar her house to store her summer BMW. Her dad is with her and says 'If i trade my Torino in you can have that spot in  Barn". He says will you guys take this on trade. My managers say were are not intrested in a car that old. I asked my managers is it ok if I buy it from him. They gave me the ok. I meet the guy at his house. He has 2 garages and a barn of cars. He tells me the story on how he purchased this new when he became a judge. He use to take his kids to the drive Inn movies then his grandchildren. I was shocked when he gave me every single registration, owners manual, original floor mats, full spare and jack insurance cards and original title. My first time seeing an old title. He said he factory ordered A/C, special gage cluster and a continental truck. I acquired this vehicle with 52,590 miles .I take this out spring till fall. Owned since 2012 purchased for $2400. She is not fast but Cruises with ease. The factory air compressor is massive and is ice cold.I will share my pictures when I am allowed to post. 
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2022 at 12:57AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

JT, when did you get those???Shocked
They both belong to the significant other.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2022 at 1:42AM
Originally posted by JonnyTorino JonnyTorino wrote:

Hello, this is my first time here. I am an owner of a 1974 Gran Torino Elite. This is the only year the Gran Torino Elite was badged this way. I started researching this vehicle after I purchased it. This is a rare combination Torino Elite and a Continental trunk from Ford.To answer your question YES!! Your vehicle may have came with the same option as mine. I came across this vehicle by chance. 

Welcome! You've been upgraded to a new member and have full forum privileges. Start a thread on your car and post some pics and the original paperwork. I suspect that this fiberglass trunk was a dealer option, not a factory Ford option, but your paperwork  isn't help figure it out.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply