The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help! 1968 Torino Body Mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldncab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! 1968 Torino Body Mounts
    Posted: 07-March-2022 at 12:47PM
Hello all.  Excited to be a new member to a forum that my father joined years ago.

Since then I have inherited a 1968 GT Torino Convertible.  I have redone everything on this car over the last 15 years.  I have swapped the rear end to a 9" with 3.5 gears.  I have a mustang II front end that is lowered 2".  I pulled the original 302 out and and replaced it with a 347.....  Needless to say, the car is a ton of fun to drive and cruise.

There exists one issue, and that is, after all of this work, when the car drives around at 25-35 mph, and goes over any bumps, it sounds like a squeaky rust bucket. Angry  

I remember restoring this car over 30 years ago with my dad, and we had determined it was the body mount bushings.  They were hard if not impossible to locate back then, but it seems like not much has changed.

I am in need of sourcing body mount bushings for this car or at least a suitable substitution and am wondering what options there are out there for me.  

Looking forward to any and all suggestions!
1968 GT Torino Convertible
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2022 at 9:07PM
welcome! that's possible? usually squeaking when hitting a bump is suspension bushings...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2022 at 11:07PM
the ‘68-‘69 torino is a unibody car.... what body mounts would you be referring to?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-March-2022 at 11:11PM
yep dave is correct! first and second gens are unibody cars!!! so it would be suspension bushings then...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2022 at 4:09AM
The shock tower design of 67-71's made it difficult to grease the UCA bushing.  Have seen pics where guys drilled into tower for access.  A 90* fitting can help but start there and hopefully that's the issue.  As noted above, no body mounts on the unibodies.

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
Gldncab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldncab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2022 at 1:02PM
Thanks all.

Front end is now a mustang II with coil over suspension.  After swapping the front end out I can't tell you all how disappointing it was to still hear that squeak.

Thoughts on what could be squeaking on that new rack?

Another bit of info on the car is a 'shimmy' at around 40 mph.  Doesn't matter whether accelerating or slowing down, the shimmy has always been there.  I have replaced the wheels and the tires as well.  

The squeak and shimmy are still there after all of the upgrades.

hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2022 at 1:06AM
out of balance tire or rim?
Bent rim?
Out of round tire?
Bad alignment?
Worn steering box/steering components?
Bad/loose suspension bushing?
Bad/worn/loose suspension parts?
Bent/out of balance driveshaft?
Loose transmission mount?
Loose engine mount?
Bad harmonic balancer?

Check the REAR end too.... something there can also cause a shimmy.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
Gldncab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldncab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2022 at 4:29PM
hogfiddles,

Love the list!

I've been down so many of these but a few stand out.

I'd like to think that the right solution takes care of both of my issues, but that would be foolish.

I've wondered about the steering box and even the rack itself. Back then I got the Mustang II rack conversion kit from Dearborn (now MAC) and they had sent me a bad rack. Made me a little nervous after all the welding, but after putting in the replacement rack it seemed OK.  After the 9" rear end swap I had a new driveshaft put in and that makes me wonder.  Probably 2000 total miles on the car after all of those upgrades.

I'll look into the driveshaft.

I'll also dig into the engine mounts, as I redid these with the new rack and pinion kit.

I do remember that the two bushings (red, prothane type) for the rack/cross member mounts seemed brittle.  One may have split.  I'm thinking these may be the culprit.  

Anyone know which bushings these may be?

Post Reply Post Reply