The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat belts from Seatbelt Planet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat belts from Seatbelt Planet
    Posted: 15-March-2022 at 4:00AM
Just came across this and wondered if anyone has any knowledge on these, they say 71-76 but since mounting is different in these years not sure if they will work or not.

Dave - 1973 GTS N code
r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2022 at 6:46AM
I ordered a set from them a month ago, and supposedly they  were going to be shipped out to me yesterday. I'll let you know in 6 more months if they fit   
1973 Ford Torino Base 2D 351CJ Project
1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2022 at 6:58AM
They look to be a somewhat "generic" fit seatbelt.  r9b2 please post up some pics of them when they arrive.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2022 at 1:49AM
The rep I talked to didn't know the specifics on the retractor mount attachment set-up and didn't have any additional photos of it either so like Vince said if you can post some photos of the attachment points it would be great.  thanks - Dave 
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2022 at 6:02PM
Generic is correct with a FoMoCo type latch. I can see on the 72-73 {early} cars that being OK. 74-79 cars would have the larger mount plate that used two torx bolts to lock down the larger seat belt assemblies.
NOW with that said...Youtube "1975 ford torino crash test" and you will see how worthless the factory Ford belts are. I love my GTS. But I have no dissolution over the fact the upper seat belts are worthless in an impact and you and your passenger will absolutely eat the dash every time. 
With that said, I do always wear the lap belt. But the upper 72-73 Sportsroof belts are worthless. I am planning on a Shelby Mustang style upper bar tied into the roof mount points with possibly having rear down bars, with retractors on a 3 point harness.  
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2022 at 9:00AM
I found the videos. Did the OEM belts not have a locking mechanism for crashes? Looks like the dummies pulled the belts along with them as they moved forward. Might as well have just worn lap belts. Otherwise, it looks like the front acted as an effective crumple zone, and the poor belt performance takes it from minimal injuries to potentially fatal head trauma. 

I bought a set of three-point belts from Wesco Performance. The 1972 shoulder belt mount was so far back that it would interfere with someone getting in the back door, so I got a mounting plate to put it 6 inches forward or so. Having a modern locking mechanism should make for a significant improvement. 
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2022 at 9:27AM
Just curious if the mounting plate is under the headliner.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2022 at 1:20PM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

Yes it is mounted up in the headliner but you should be able to feel it if you don’t readily see it. I’ll see if I can find pictures to show.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2022 at 12:37PM
Originally posted by 1973gts 1973gts wrote:

This was as I was installing my headliner. The cross brace is where the dome light mounts. If you look behind that {to the right} you will see two rectangle boxes, with a threaded insert. That is the upper belt mount location. 

r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2022 at 6:29PM
I finally got my set in a few days ago.  Not really sure where to mount the lap belt anchor.  It says NEVER mount two seat belt bolts to one point, but where else can I even fit the lap belt anchor?

Not to mention the female belt strap is about 2-3 inches too long.  I just tied it in a knot... Someone let me know if I'm gonna die with this plan.  Sorry, no pics, but I can try and get some tomorrow

1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2022 at 6:58PM
The knot is the weakest link unfortunately. No suggestions on making it right.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2022 at 12:48AM
Originally posted by r9b2 r9b2 wrote:

I finally got my set in a few days ago.  Not really sure where to mount the lap belt anchor.  It says NEVER mount two seat belt bolts to one point, but where else can I even fit the lap belt anchor?

Not to mention the female belt strap is about 2-3 inches too long.  I just tied it in a knot... Someone let me know if I'm gonna die with this plan.  Sorry, no pics, but I can try and get some tomorrow

FWIW, on my '79 Ranchero with split bench seats, the factory center seat belt anchors are "doubled up" with the driver and passenger side seat belt anchor bolts located on each side of trans tunnel. I hardly ever have a 3rd passenger but this is the way the factory did it.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2022 at 1:08AM
Like Todd says, the factory did double up the anchors for the middle front belt.  I have also seen this on many other cars from the 1970s, like my Dad's old Malibu Classic.  When you have a chance, post the pics of the hardware and install.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2022 at 2:59AM
Andrew, thanks for the info and photo but I was wondering about Inkara1's post about his adding a mounting plate to move the attachment point 6 " forward, just curious how he did it.  Since that mounting point would be taking a lot of pressure from the belt on an impact I was curious how he made it and if it was under or outside the headliner.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Inkara1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Inkara1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2022 at 12:35PM
The plate goes behind the metal. The kit comes with instructions and the sizes of holes to drill. One big hole (1/2" I think or maybe 9/16") and then two smaller holes for rivets. The instructions say to drill a huge hole to feed the plate behind the metal, but I used the existing square hole. Feed it through to behind the metal, rivet it into place, and thread the bolt in for the top anchor. Once I install the headliner, I'll cut a hole for the bolt to go through. 
1972 Gran Torino station wagon, light blue, 351C 2V, prior owner upgraded to 4V (2V heads), originally had a C4 but prior owner changed to C6 for some reason.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2022 at 2:12PM
Thanks for the info, it looks like it should be a good way to mount it.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2022 at 1:24PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Like Todd says, the factory did double up the anchors for the middle front belt.  I have also seen this on many other cars from the 1970s, like my Dad's old Malibu Classic.  When you have a chance, post the pics of the hardware and install.

Here you go.  Seems to be comfortable enough, but the shoulder strap sits right on my collar bone, which is annoying.  Better than nothing, I guess.  Also, the retracter is insanely sensitive.  You have to pull slooowwwwly to avoid locking it.

1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2022 at 3:06PM
Thanks for posting, they actually seem to fit pretty well. It looks like you use the factory mounts on the floor? I can't really see the back side of the retractor too well in you picture. I wasn't sure how it would work with these types of seat belts as it comes out of the floor at an odd angle.  I am sure these would be a big improvement over the awful two piece belts our cars have.  Thanks again, these definitely look like a good option to consider.
Vince

GTS.org Admin
r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2022 at 4:28PM
Yup, those are the original mounting points used for the retractor.  The bolts provided by Seatbelt Planet were a perfect fit.  As for the female anchor, I just drilled a 7/16(?)" hole on both sides of the transmission tunnel, then used the provided hardware to affix the 90° angle bracket.  Hardest part was battling with the carpet.

Also, I just reused the factory torx bolt for the shoulder strap mount.  Overall a great fit, and my chances of dying in a crash dropped by 5% by installing these Wink

Edited by r9b2 - 03-April-2022 at 4:36PM
1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2022 at 3:33AM
Just a question on the extra length on the female end, I'm just wondering if with the new seat / floorpan set up if the seat height is lower by enough to make it seem longer.  Can you possibly compare the old ones length to the new one and see if there is a difference?  I am seriously considering ordering these but if the female end is longer may have to rethink it a little.   
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
r9b2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r9b2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2022 at 8:32AM
From the way I understand it, these are more for original bench seat cars, in which case I think they do sit a bit higher, not to mention that my Torino's floors are nowhere near stock now in any way, shape, or form.  I'm sorry, but I don't have the old belts anymore. 

As you can see in the pics, I'm making it work by simply crossing the female belts to the opposite sides.  It was recommended that if you really needed a shorter length, you'd just have to source a shorter one.  Of course, these are reproductions of the belts we've seen in any classic automobile, so that shouldn't be too hard.
1973 Ford F100 429
1966 Ford Mustang I6
2013 Subaru Forester
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2022 at 8:53AM
Okay, if you could can you measure the new ones you have?  I'll just compare that to my old ones and see if there is a difference.  thanks  -  Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2022 at 3:30AM
Just to refresh this thread, could someone measure a stock female bucket seat belt so the length can be compared to the seatbelt planet one?  Also r9b2 if you could measure the seatbelt planet female end so we know the length for comparison.  I switched my car from bench to buckets so the belts I have are for a bench.  thanks - Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2022 at 3:57AM
Just a little additional info, placed a call to seatbelt planet in ref to the female ends, will be receiving a call back hopefully on Monday from the person who may be able to get an option for bucket/bench seat variations on this set so if I can get the measurements before then it would be great.  thanks  -  Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2022 at 1:24PM
Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone could do a measurement as mentioned above, Seat belt planet will be contacting me on Monday and would like to have the measurement if possible. thanks - Dave
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2022 at 9:19PM
 dave i didn't realize you needed this i can check iirc i have 1 bucket female end around somewhere... i bet the bench ones arent a whole lot different in length they do have the twist for the bench though
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2022 at 2:00AM
Thanks, John, I will probably get a set of these and if the lengths are noticeably different it would be nice if they can offer the different options.  
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2022 at 6:52AM
I’ll be honest in all my time, I’ve only noticed the specific lengths being shorter for the rear seat belts.
The front seat belts with the female buckle, I’ve never noticed a difference between bucket and bench cars for 72-76 years.

I am at my storage and I’ll see if I can find seat belts and measure them.
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2022 at 7:31AM
Thanks Andy, appreciate it.
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
1973gts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1973gts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 11:26AM
Okay, just to update this post, I went to our local old car yard  (was looking for some other parts anyway) and found a 72 gts with buckets and measured the female end which was 12".  I got a call from Steve at Seat belt planet and he stated the female end in the kit is 16".  He said he could put together a 12" female setup for those of us who wanted it.  He recommended getting hardware kit 950001 and altering the mounting bracket by changing the bracket angle. I will probably be ordering this combo.  If anyone else is interested in getting these Steve said to ask for him when you call so he can put together the right parts for your kit.  

Edited by 1973gts - 25-April-2022 at 11:31AM
Dave - 1973 GTS N code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>