The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi there!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi there!
    Posted: 25-April-2022 at 11:19AM
I have a new to me Torino based stock car. I'm interested in adding lights and such to make it (just) street legal so I can drive it to the track. Unfortunately I can't locate a vin on the car anywhere I've looked. It's highly modified with a one-piece fiberglass front clip and doors, (so no door sticker, inner fenders nor radiator support) A lexan windshield and a custom sheet metal dash, so no vin plate there either.
My '64 pickup has a vin stamped on the frame rail just behind the passenger's tire. This 10 years newer frame doesn't appear to have a vin in that same place.
I googled it, and this forum came up (looks like fun!). 
Can anyone point me to a location on what I believe is a '73 frame where a vin might be stamped?
I'd post a pic of the car, but can't yet, I'm brand new!
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 12:31PM
That's a tough one. I've never found my vin on my frame but I've never really looked that hard for one. Rear cross member maybe or....?? There might be a body tag on the firewall somewhere that might have it.

You might have to apply for a replacement vin # at motor vehicles but doing so might open up a real can of worms (inspections etc.) in order for it to be street legal.

By what you described, I doubt there is a build sheet behind the back seat. Check under or inside the drivers seat. That's where I found mine.

Best of luck! 

Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 12:43PM
There's a number stamped on my frame (72 Torino) on the driver side, couple feet from the rear. But the actual VIN as far as i know is on only on the dash panel
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
RacerJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 1:06PM
No driver's seat. There's an aluminum racing seat in its place.

I agree about inspections. I'm hoping to ID it before they do and then tell me it's stolen or something 
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 3:35PM
I checked my LTD ll and my Ford Service Manuals and the best answer that I found was a vin on the dash, door jamb tag and upper rad support on the drivers side..possibly obscured by the fender itself.. 

If you can't find anything, I think you might have to apply for a replacement vin if you want to drive it on the street. Given the age of the car, it might not be too difficult to do but it will have to meet certain safety standards and all that jazz.

Check for any stamped number...they might be able to cross reference it to a vin. Maybe...

Worth a try.

Best of luck
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 5:24PM
 never found one on my car or any of the 8 or 9 ive parted out! if they didn't trim it off there's one on the two tabs under the dash cover that are part of the windshield mounting area
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 5:26PM
I seem to remember maybe Rock posting a pic of the center under the cowl  having the vin stamped on a small strip of the body. You might need an endoscope to find it with the cowl not accessable. Californiajohnny probably has an idea as well. 

Not sure I would post pics yet but welcome aboard. Lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 5:27PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

never found one on my car or any of the 8 or 9 ive parted out! if they didn't trim it off there's one on the two tabs under the dash cover that are part of the windshield mounting area

You beat me by two minutes. Haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2022 at 4:28AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

I remember seeing that on the '85 'Vic I turned into a stock car. Thanks for reminding me!Thumbs Up I'll have to see if I can look under the custom dash the PO built. Might require some drilling of rivets.
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2022 at 11:23AM
 well look under and see if the tabs are still there before you remove the dashWink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2022 at 10:03AM
Welcome and you've been upgraded.  Like CaliforniaJohnny says, the cowl tabs is the only other place that I know of.  I think it is just a partial VIN though.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2022 at 5:01PM
Cowl tabs is the main location on the tub.
Frame sections have a partial VIN stamped on the right rear frame rail sections between rear tire and bumper on the outside of the frame. Only way you are going to see this is by sanding the frame with an 80 grit DA sander or sandblasting to reveal the VIN number stamped on the rails.
Discovered this on my '72 frame rails.

There are VIN numbers on 4-6 areas of the car. Engines will have it usually stamped in a hard to find area back of the engine. I forget on transmissions but I'm pretty sure my toploader four speed has a VIN stamped on the main body. 

Not seen anything on my original 9" rear axle.
There are some partial numbers stamped on the door pillars, but it is from the inside of the panel. 

Ultimately, depending upon where you live, you can take the car to a State Trooper location in your state and some states will allow them to inspect the car, verify it's not stolen, and have a new VIN assigned to it.
I know in Kansas from other's experience, that is what the process is like. 
Nebraska is a complete pain in the backside if you do not have a title.

Sometimes you can run it though a title company out of Alabama and have them assign a title to it.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 6:20AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Welcome and you've been upgraded.  Like CaliforniaJohnny says, the cowl tabs is the only other place that I know of.  I think it is just a partial VIN though.

Thanks for the upgrade! A picture is worth a thousand words, so here it is:

This car has a fiberglass one-piece front end and fiberglass door skins. the rear quarters are hand fabricated (no I didn't do the work, my bodywork usually resembles a golf ball) from large pieces of 22ga(?) sheet steel. The interior consists of an aluminum racing seat, a roll cage, a fabricated dash with tach, oil pressure and water temp. It's a bare bones race car. The 351C has a 4v manifold on 2v heads, and a rules mandated 500 cfm holley 2v carb. I believe it has a 3 speed racing trans, but I am in to the conservation of personal energy (lazy) and haven't been under it yet. I bought it not running, The engine seized. I pulled the head and found the remains of a bolt in the #7 cylinder. Apparently someone before me was careless, or at the least, unlucky. I'll post pics of that in a build thread later. Borescopes are very cool and affordable ($10 on ebay) these days!
If I can't find any useable ID, I do have the option of having it inspected as homemade (a relatively easy process in AZ).
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 7:33AM
The block can get a sleeve and be happy again if that bolt is the only reason it was locked up. You may get lucky.
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 12:41PM
Welcome, and cool car!
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 2:26PM
  The rear quarter looks like a mopar piece.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2022 at 9:21AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

The rear quarter looks like a mopar piece.

Lol, if it were Mopar, it'd be on the garage floor in a red dusty lump of powder.
It's not Ford. It's a fabricated piece. I'm thinking it needs a crease or two in the right places, and it'll be better.

To close out this chapter of the story, I looked in the suspect places, and found that anywhere there might have been an identifying mark on this car, was either welded over, or cut off. So, it's the homebuilt application, and a state issued title route for me.
Left Rear Frame:

Dash (blue wrench adjusted):

Edited by RacerJames - 29-April-2022 at 9:37AM
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2022 at 1:52PM
It is certainly an interesting situation. Keep us posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2022 at 4:58PM
Well, I've got to say that regardless of the situation, I love your idea of it being both street and track legal. Now that the pictures are up, what a great ride! Nice car and keep us posted!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2022 at 6:21PM
  looks like it's been cut off???
here's a pic of mine see the extra metal tab directly in front the the driver side defroster vent...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2022 at 2:46AM
John, is that the tab with a vin stamp? I thought there was one front and center in front of the windshield on the cowl on 72-73 years. The dash is out on my 73, going to look later on.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2022 at 12:27PM
  yes or a partial one. ive noticed some having 2 on each side of the speaker...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2022 at 4:13AM
My dash is out right now also if anyone needs a double or triple check I can do that.
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RacerJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2022 at 7:21AM
John, I've seen that tab on a few cars I owned before, most notably the '74 Montego race car I built in the late '90s. 
Unfortunately, in this case they're gone, due to an overexuberant racer with a torch and grinder. Probably a good thing for me now, because title searches and bond insurance can be a pain. I can now apply for a state issued VIN in AZ, the same process used when titling a homebuilt dune buggy. I just have to show receipts on what it cost to build, and, since I don't have any receipts, the state inspector will frown at me, shake their head, and then estimate the value of the materials used, and tax me accordingly.
I can live with that.
'73 Torino Stock Car
'71 Mustang Stock Car
351C powered
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2022 at 10:39AM
I had my dash apart yesterday and checked my tabs.  I stand corrected from my earlier comment, they both show the full VIN on my car.  So for confirmed full VIN locations, there would be the metal dash top, the door tag and the two metals tabs underneath the dash top.  For partial VINs, there is the engine block, and transmission.  Some people report not having on the engine and trans.  I check my rear frame rail and it's just date coded, no VIN or partial VIN.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply