The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curious find in my 72 GTS.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curious find in my 72 GTS.
    Posted: 21-June-2022 at 8:14PM
Hello forum. I was working on figuring out how to take the fenders of (for repair), when I found this 👇 It was stuck way up under the fender…found it by chance with a flashlight.

Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2022 at 2:55AM
Awesome. I also found a 30 to 40 year old magnetic metal case with a spare key in it under my fender. 
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2022 at 7:31AM
I found this strange contraption in the trunk too…any ideas?

CB radio antenna base..?

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2022 at 10:51AM
 that would be my guess...
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2022 at 10:32AM
Looks like the base part of an old CB antenna.
GKF
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 10:51AM
it was the 70's, CB's were BIG

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 3:37PM
"Whatch you 'talkin' 'bout, Willis?"  I still have one! lol
GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2022 at 3:12AM
here's my rig, the Galaxy 959 has been replaced with a DX55 (i forget ATM if it's an HP or a V) and it's modified into a high output 240 channel free-band radio, unfortunately my Icom 706 MkII-G has some issues and is non-op ATM and the linear's functionality was questionable from the time i got it. this pic is from when i just finished making the cover plate filler panels from black haircell plastic. console is a JottoDesk 'Lazy L' and is mounted with a floor plate kit

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2022 at 4:13AM
Very nice! Thumbs Up

Interesting: Almost all CB radios were (are) controlled by a "Phase Locked Loop (PPL)" Frequency Synthesizer Integrated circuit (IC). Many of them can be modified to output the "forbidden" extra channels.  Usually by installing a switch that grounds one of the chip's pins.
The ICs are (more or less) universal because different countries have different frequency allotments for low power broadcasting.
GKF
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2022 at 6:03AM
Jumping certain "Legs" on the synthetic PLL generator will get you additional frequencies, but match with your antenna may be poor on those frequencies. 
Might fall on assigned frequencies for other uses, be careful...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2022 at 6:35AM
it's called a "Synthesizer" not a synthetic.
And, you'd have to be way off frequency to not be able to tune a typical CB antenna.
Even if you couldn't, it would be easy to calculate series inductance and/or parallel capacitance using a "Smith Chart" to determine how to "effectively" lengthen or shorten your antenna. 
GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2022 at 6:43AM
a guy could set up 2 antennas, each set for middle of the high / low side of the band range and switch between them for better SWR's
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply