The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'76 door glass parts - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '76 door glass parts - HELP
    Posted: 26-June-2022 at 4:25AM
OK guys, gathering up everything door related to drop off at the body shop and looking for all the glass stops and attaching hardware.

First, I found these long and short window stops that mount to the door. I believe I have two sets because I've purchased the power window system pieces twice and evidently both sellers also included the door mounted stops....

The cloth covered window guides (2 per door) are bagged up with the power door wiring grommets and a few other harness related hardware items, so I'm good there.

Next items are mounted DIRECTLY to the glass.... if memory serves me correctly, there were two of the cylindrical nylon (?) glass stops mounted on each end of the glass, but the part catalog illustration shows the cylindrical stop on the hinge side of the glass with a star shaped stop on the latch side. Is my memory accurate?? Also, was there a nylon stepped washer on the outside of the glass as shown in the illustration??

Final question concerns the metal lift bracket attached to the glass. Originally from the factory it was riveted to the glass with aluminum rivets, but Master part catalog says to bolt to glass using (3) 1/4-20 x 1 1/16" long flanged hex bolt with 1/4-20 flanged hex lock nut. The illustration shows a spacer and another of the nylon stepped washers on the outside of the glass, is this also correct?

The shop manual wasn't much help at all.....

I haven't run across the glass stops, outer stepped washers or spaces in my parts cache search so I have nothing so far to compare with the drawing.

IF ANYONE CAN SUPPLY ME PICTURES OF THESE PIECES ATTACHED TO THE DOOR GLASS I WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATIVE!!!!

Thanks all.... Hug Thumbs Up Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2022 at 10:17AM
I will check through my photos to see if I have any of inside my door. I have never had to take mine all apart so I am not super familiar on the assembly.  CaliforniaJohnny would be the guy to ask, I think he will be assembling the doors on Mike's car soon.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 3:04AM
Here's my pics of my 72 passenger with glass in, and the glass out if that helps. Pics with glass in aren't great but hopefully it's useful.
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 3:08AM
And my car has manual windows.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 3:26AM
Wayne, can you post the opposite side view of the door glass (first picture) so I can see what's on the other side? Also, are there two each of the angled stops mounted inside the door?

Thanks sir!Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 3:37AM
Wayne, I also just noticed the the round white stop mounted to the glass next to the metal lift guide bracket seems to be different that the one mounted off to itself. Can you give me a close up of it (both sides) as well as the dimensions. I've not run across the parts I removed from my glass years ago so I may have to resource them and would like to have the info handy when I begin my search....

Again my thanks!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 4:14AM
You bet, I'll try to get those pics and info for you in a couple hours
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 7:25AM
There's 3 total of those rubber coated l brackets. See this overall picture, and the 3 hexheads you see are those. Also here's some internal pictures of them. Note that the center hex head is the door handle bolt.

Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 7:30AM
Here's more pics of the nylon stoppers.

Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 7:31AM
Remember though this is a 72 manual windows/locks. Not sure of any difference, but hope it helps.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 9:02AM
 actually thats a power window glass (note the big curved cut out at the bottom) its been replaced at one time as it has spanner nuts with bolts through the glass (factory was riveted with large rivets)
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 10:38AM
Neat. I never would have known. 
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2022 at 10:58AM
Wayne, so it was just an optical illusion and both the white nylon window stops are the same? And there are only 3 of the rubber coated stop angles per door? How many long/short angles are there per door? Somehow I have 4 of each type???? Confused The attached photo shows the location of the three angles highlighted.... if you could advise which ones are long and short I would be grateful! Hopefully the three aren't the same or I have another issue to resolve! Ouch 

John the power glass I believe was also installed in manual window cars as well because my original passenger side door was a hand crank window and it had the arc-cut glass from the factory.... whatever was handy I'm sure so production wasn't slowed down.

Again guys, my thanks for your help!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2022 at 10:16PM
 joe, if you got my message about the stops... 2 short on the top facing up...1 long at the bottom facing down. yes both plastic stops are the same
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2022 at 3:40AM
Just got back from out of town. Looks like you have your answers, if you need any more pics or details let me know.
 Post Reply Post Reply