The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heater core Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heater core Replacement
    Posted: 18-July-2022 at 3:23PM
Yup...the heater core has started to leak.

According to the Ford Service Manual, I don't have to remove the ENTIRE dashboard....apparently. Chilton Manual is just about as clear.

What is the best way to get it out?? I've got it free from the firewall and it's basically on the floor but I can't twist the unit to clear in order to clear the glove box door mount. 

Any suggestions??
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2022 at 3:41PM
AC car?
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2022 at 4:42PM
Sorry...my bad. 

It's a 78 LTD ii non AC car. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2022 at 6:00PM
Got it!

That was fun. Makes it easier when you take the center heat register out.
whmitchell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2022 at 8:34AM
Can you tell us the steps you took to get it out?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2022 at 10:13AM
Lol! Well, if you are taking the steps outlined in the Ford Service manual, don't expect it to be easy or simple. There isn't a lot of room.

After draining the cooling system and removing the heater hoses and unbolting the box assy from the firewall underneath the hood, you move inside and go from there.

Inside: 1. Remove glove box door and the cardboard container

2. Remove passenger side vent and cable

3. Remove the 2 control cables from the front side of the box

4. Remove heater box assy. (Funny...need a sense of humor for that.)

What they DONT tell you is to remove the center vent register from the box to give you clearance. (The foot vents on the trans hump).

And...rotate box assy TOWARDS you from the bottom. Make sure you plug the core or you're going to dump antifreeze all over the floor. It's the only way the wide part of the box will clear the mount for the glove box. I plugged mine when I removed the heater hoses as a precaution. It was by accident that I figured this out. Would have been nice to have this bit of info.

Once it's out, undo the bolts around the oblong panel and it slips right out.

It is a PITA, but once you figure those 2 tid-bits, your good to go.

Btw, this is a NON AC LTD ii . Torino and Ranchero is the same.

Forgot to mention: pull the clip from the defrost vents to release it from that. (A funny, hard to see clip...it pulls right out)

Center register is held on with 2 small screws and another clip (button) at the top in the center. Hard to see but it's in the front.

Hope this helps anyone else. Didn't get pics but, I hope the tips explain things a bit better.

Edited by 78FordLtd2 - 19-July-2022 at 10:21AM
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2022 at 3:31PM
So for once A/C makes it EASIER? I think mine had 4, maybe 6 little hex-head screws and it came out the engine compartment. Maybe a half-hour job...
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2022 at 6:58AM
Lol! I guess in this instance it is much easier on an AC car! Wish they were all as easy as that.

Well, it's out and waiting for a new one. Keeping the old one and getting it re-cored as the replacement 4 Season aluminum one may not last as long and parts are getting scarce. The old one is all brass and copper. 
 Post Reply Post Reply