The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TMI Track Boss Block - Confidence Is High

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TMI Track Boss Block - Confidence Is High
    Posted: 09-July-2022 at 5:46AM
Tim has 2 blocks in hand, they may be the Right Stuff ?

" Track Boss cast-iron block update....
It's getting very real!!!
(2) more iron casting arrived today. These (2) castings have the latest updated changes in the water jacket. Very possible, that these 2 blocks will be shipped to customers. If we can achieve a "near-perfect" water jacket location, the Track Boss iron block can be bored to 4.200" and have a .250" wall thickness. Add the 4.350" stroke, 6.225" rod length, and Track Boss stroker kit to a 9.500" deck height, 482 cubes are easily achievable. "

pics & a little Q & A here

72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2022 at 11:52AM
This does seem to be a never ending project, but good for Tim sticking it out.  These are way above my paygrade.  You going to build one for your 'Chero Rock??

Here are Tim Meyers Questions and Answers about the blocks:

what is the material exactly and is there anything particularly unique about it, high nickel? LOL
Grade 40 iron will be the standard material. We will also be offering an upgraded iron block. For a $1,000 upgrade, we will offer a material that will be "close" to CGI strength. The material we will be offering will bring the standard 40K strength, to 60K strength. Bare in mind CGI is about 72K, and yet Dart used to charge a $2,500 upgrade for CGI.

what's the plan for the core plugs?
my personal choice would be cast iron threaded plugs like these to prevent electrolysis corrosion and failure over time
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms- ... XfEALw_wcB
All Track Boss blocks are taped for 1-1/4" NPT, we offer Black anodized aluminum plugs that use a 3/4" Allen wrench.

what are the options (if any) for main caps & hardware, what will they be?
All blocks will come with steel main caps & ARP main bolts.

cam tunnel machining options?
i'm good with factory or SVO bearing bores if they're still available? i'd rather not take material away from the block
We plan to use the 351HP cam bearing (common OD) and an FP26 #1 bearing. We are debating on whether we will offer an oversize option.  Dart has chosen not to offer some options and allow other machine shops to do the work, not %100 sure how accurate that is.

you eluded to the possibility of a 9.5" deck, is finishing square at 9.525" out of the question?
The tooling for this block did not come with much extra room. I think when we barely touch the surface that cleans up, it is in the 9.525" or 9.535"area.

lifter diameters? tall bushings or are the lifter banks already tall?
All blocks come with lifter bushings. Any diameter you want. We were to tall where the lifter tie bar was contacting the bushing. We did make adjustments to bring it down about .125" which is probably about .125" taller than OE.

is the mech fuel pump location figured out, is there any way to gain a millimeter for the RobbMc pump?
Yes, very possible. I need to know specifically where & how much.

can you program to machine off the left side starter mount material?
Have not thought about it, and have not heard that request yet.

Our big picture is to allow the large horizontal CNC machine to do all the major metal removal. We have another horizontal and we just added a large Fadal vertical. Our plans are to offer the CNC program for OE blocks (as I mentioned a few years ago) with the Fadal. But we also are considering doing optional machine work to the Track Boss on the Fadal also.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2022 at 12:22PM
Cutting chips on what is hopefully the 1st cast iron TrackBoss block

72 GT Ute

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2022 at 5:07PM
Still a long way to go but kudos to Tim and his crew. Casting is an art and he wants perfection. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2022 at 10:23AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

You going to build one for your 'Chero Rock??

yes the only home i have for such a lunker ATM is my 72 Ranchero. a typical factory block weighs right about 165#, i expect my TrackBoss will go 200# easily with a 4" bore. cylinder wall thickness is King

72 GT Ute

67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2022 at 3:59PM
Tom is doing good work.  I am patiently waiting for my aluminum alloy engine to get wrapped up. Discussing cams tomorrow. Short block is assembled. What C.I. at you going to be running Rock?
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2022 at 4:02PM
Why can't I post multiple pictures!?!?
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2022 at 1:59AM
Originally posted by 67gt5003119 67gt5003119 wrote:

Thanks for the drool on myself here. I've toyed with the idea of an AL block for years. Then this new economy pushed pricing from the $3800 retail level, to way over $5k the last time I looked.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2022 at 11:10AM
probably std 4" bore and stock 3.5" stroke for 351.9 cubic inches on the 1st go around. my whole reason for going with Tim's block is for meat on the cylinder walls and in the main bulkheads, it just doesn't make any sense to me to build a block that doesn't stand a snowball's chance

72 GT Ute

handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2022 at 12:49PM
Originally posted by 67gt5003119 67gt5003119 wrote:

After you upload a picture and it shows up in the box, click OK then immediately choose another, upload, click OK etc. Then post reply and they will all appear in your reply.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2022 at 1:16PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

probably std 4" bore and stock 3.5" stroke for 351.9 cubic inches on the 1st go around. my whole reason for going with Tim's block is for meat on the cylinder walls and in the main bulkheads, it just doesn't make any sense to me to build a block that doesn't stand a snowball's chance

Looks like Mad Max is trading his Falcon XB for a Ranchero.  That will be boss when it's done.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-July-2022 at 3:44PM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

Looks like Mad Max is trading his Falcon XB for a Ranchero.  That will be boss if it ever gets done.

fixed it for ya
72 GT Ute

Post Reply Post Reply