The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Video Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974 Gran Torino Elite Road Trip - Youtube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Gran Torino Elite Road Trip - Youtube
    Posted: 22-August-2022 at 12:45AM
I came across this on Youtube and its pretty interesting. This guy buys the car sight unseen in Las Vegas and drives it back to Pennsylvania on a pretty wild road trip fixing things along the way. Clap 

Edited by 72FordGTS - 22-August-2022 at 9:13AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2022 at 9:14AM
I will have to check out the videos when I have time.  Cool that a relatively unknown car like the Elite is getting some attention.

I also fixed your Youtube links.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2022 at 3:59PM
You couldn't pay me enough to trust that jack even with jack stands. Lol 
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2022 at 12:41AM
Originally posted by 72FordGTS 72FordGTS wrote:

I also fixed your Youtube links.

Thank you Sir! Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2022 at 1:30AM
Originally posted by handsofstone handsofstone wrote:

You couldn't pay me enough to trust that jack even with jack stands. Lol 

My old 86 Crown Vic had that jack in it when I was delivering mail for several years with it. I hated that with my 72 Gran Torino, watching the bumper bend upward each time.

But with my CV I only used it twice(I had a floor jack at home). The first time was delivering mail in the snow. I got stuck pulling away from a customer's mailbox(coworker also LOL), their box was too far from the road and the ditch was just past it(couldn't see the drop well enough). So with the left tire barely touching the road, and spinning, it was stuck. Then it hit me, bingo, get the jack and put it in the ditch under the right front, lift the bumper. With it lifted about 6", I drove it backwards a foot to get the tire out of the ditch.

A year later on another route which had many similar drop offs next to driveways, I did it partially again. I got the right front off just a little too far thinking it would make the turn on road, but it dropped off. I saw it and went straight for the tire jack. That was a deep ditch, about three feet along the road under all of the driveways. That jack was long and thankfully easily set down in the ditch and hooked into the bumper. I had it out and was driving again in less than five minutes.

Those old jacks have their uses, but are poor for any general work needed.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2022 at 5:01AM
Less an issue with the jack, more an issue with the bumpers coming off. Either the bumper core would fail, or the bumper energy absorbers. Of course, that's in NYS, where they used lots of road salt (for extra flavor)
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2022 at 5:44AM
That's how we did it back in the day. 
Steve M.
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2022 at 9:32AM
Yeah, NEVER trust a jack. You just never know what will spectacularly fail first...the bumper, the jack, or the ground underneath the base of the jack. 

But when you are on the road, there are times when you have no other choice...such as replacing a starter in a parking lot or a set of U-joints, which I've had to do before. And...you hope nothing goes wrong, lol!

Great video series! Just goes to show you how tough these cars are after sitting for so long. Yes, seals will dry out and keak but old, simple technology never fails.

I was a bit surprised of the fuel mileage though. Should have been better than it was but that could have been the carb needing a complete rebuild.
 Post Reply Post Reply