The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rope seal change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rope seal change?
    Posted: 03-September-2022 at 3:10AM
Hello forum. I looked at the rear main seal today. The original(bone dry) rope seal was still in there. Anyway…now that I have the engine out, I want to change the seal to a new rubber on.

The small pin in the cap…do you knock that out for the new seal?
Thanks.
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2022 at 3:14AM
Also….the rope in the block…how do you get that out? Do you need the special ‘rope seal tool’? Or, is there another way/trick?
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2022 at 4:17AM
yes you remove the spike retainer in the main cap. an appropriate size pin / drift punch taps it right out. i make sure the hole gets filled with RTV during the install of the new seal to eliminate the possibility of oil migrating through from one side to the other. getting the rope seal out? anything goes i guess. i'd crack off all the rest of the main caps and lift the crank as much as possible. actually i'd take down the rest of the engine and get the heads done, run a berry bush hone, add new rings and bearings etc ... but that's your call / your budget. you'll need the crank up out of the way at least a little bit to get the rope out and the neoprene in 

Edited by Rockatansky - 03-September-2022 at 10:51AM
72 GT Ute

Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2022 at 10:37AM
Best tool that I found to remove the old seal on the block side is the "Sneaky Pete".
Many auto stores carry or can order.  I think I got mine at NAPA. I was surprised that it can be purchased from Lowe's Hardware:

GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2022 at 8:22PM
Yes…I ordered the ‘sneaky pete’. I tried with a coat hanger and a screw…that didnt do much. I also dont want to ‘force’ anything in case of damage👍
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 5:01AM
do you have the crank raised up off the seal?

it's been in place for 50 years, the more you can do to get behind it and release it from the block the better chance you have of getting it out w/o hurting the crank
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 5:11AM
I think the engine is still in the vehicle...??? If so, somewhat impractical to undo all the mains.
On rare occasions to get the upper seal unstuck (using a Sneaky Pete), I rotated the crank slightly in the direction of removal.
GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 6:02AM
No Greg…engine is out atm. I have posted many pictures and topics. Basically running the 72-76 forum atm!🤠👍🤠👍🤠👍🍻

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 6:12AM
I am a novice at this. This is the first time I took an engine out of a car. Many, many questions to come!👍
Anyway….is it enough to remove the main caps to lift the crank slightly? Or do all rods have to be loosened too?
Thanks.
Yellosn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yellosn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2022 at 7:19AM
Just the mains, not the rods. If you’re wanting to be less invasive, and unless you run into a problem, I would just loosen that rear main, use your sneaky Pete to change out the seal and get things re-torqued and put back together. Personally, if the rest of your mains have been torqued and running for a while, I’d leave well enough alone. I changed out my rear main with the engine raised in the car while doing a clutch change. Just read and re-read everything several times, don’t forget to RTV that pin hole, clock your new seal off about 3/8” from the bottom of the block and use a little RTV on the ends and you’ll be fine. 
Troy Emerson
Eugene, Oregon
1972 GTS 4speed
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2022 at 3:50PM
I have done several rope seal replacements in clevelands.

When you take the rear main cap off to poke the pin out, usually a piece of the seal stays enough intact that you can pin the rope to the crank with your thumb while someone else spins the crank over with a ratchet or breaker bar. The seal rolls right out as you spin the crank.

The Sneaky Pete tool is "generally" used to re-install another rope seal although it does come with a "cork screw" removal tool.

Since you are replacing the rope with neoprene, and if you can get the old one out, you do not need to buy the tool.

I have use a sheet rock screw to successfully tug the old seal out, but when someone can spin the crank while you pull on it with the screw or pin it to the crank with your thumb, it works a whole lot easier.

Mike H.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2022 at 12:17AM
The Sneaky Pete tool worked like a charm. The rope seal came out easily. 
The new rubber seals have gone in. The upper seal was a bit difficult and takes finesse and patience. Offset of course…and seal lip inward!
Lower seal was easy….just ‘sink’ the small dowl in the cap and install (offset of course).
Getting ready for oil priming soon……

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2022 at 4:33AM
Clap Let's all give Sneaky Pete a round of applause! Clap

Ha Ha Thumbs Up
GKF
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2022 at 5:01AM
ClapClapClap
Steve M.
Yellosn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellosn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2022 at 5:24AM
I don’t want to make trouble, but you DID remove the dowel pin completely and RTV the hole, yes? I was told that was a non-negotiable step. 😁
Troy Emerson
Eugene, Oregon
1972 GTS 4speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2022 at 7:13AM
Yes…
 Post Reply Post Reply