The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

351c 4v valley pan gasket install.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351c 4v valley pan gasket install.
    Posted: 12-September-2022 at 5:03AM
Hello forum. I bought the Felpro 96012 gasket kit. HOW is this installed? The instructions are vague.
Do I ONLY use the pan and the end rubber gaskets?? Or do the fiber gaskets go on first and then the pan and rubber ends??

My engine had the pan and nothing else. There were no fiber gaskets anywhere.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 8:01AM
I did a bit of searching around and found this on a mustang/cougar forum

The valley pan fits against the heads and the gaskets fit against the intake.

I replaced my valley pan last year on my 351 Modified and that only had the pan and end seals. My intake gasket set p/n was the same used for the 400.

Dont use the rubber end seals...they dont work. Instead use high temp RTV on the China walls. 

That's the best I can find.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 8:39AM
What 78Ford LTD2 is good, except the paper gaskets (if used) go against the head then the valley pan goes down.  Definitely use a good quality RTV for the intake end seals against the block (china wall) instead of the rubber gaskets.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 10:13AM
Ahhhhh….you guys…those answers were a bit vague too.🤠
First the fiber….then the pan…..first the pan….then the fiber….dont use…use…if used…..
Is the pan a ‘crush type’ gasket? If so, I think ONLY the pan should be installed. Not the fiber gaskets. It is ‘either or’….not both…?
Hasnt anybody here on the forum used this actual kit on their 351c?
The holes are also different if both gasket types are used. I dont think they will work well together……I dunno…

Edited by Anderslober - 12-September-2022 at 10:58AM
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 2:08PM
Sorry, I thought it was clear. 1. place the paper gaskets on head. 2. Use RTV and form a bead on the China wall on the block at the front and rear of the engine  3. Install the metal turkey pan gasket, ensure it is installed properly under the locating dowels. 4. Install manifold and torque in sequence.

The metal gasket is a crush gasket. Some people do not use the paper gaskets, some do. Some also put RTV on top of the Turkey pan on the China wall area to prevent condensation (keeps it from rusting it out).

There are also 4 piece "race gaskets" available that do away with the turkey pan. I hope this is clear enough for you.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 12-September-2022 at 2:22PM
Vince

GTS.org Admin
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 3:05PM
Ditto, there are multiple ways to install the intake. I used the pan and gasket on my first two 351C builds, and learned then to never use the cork ends seals. Cork gaskets suck, always avoid those. You can install the intake without the big pan, some people never use it. The rubber end gaskets can be used with RTV, especially if the gap is extra large.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 7:03PM
Ok awesome guys! The reason I ask these ‘dumba$$’ questions, is this is the first time for me. I would hate to get something wrong and muck it up.
Gotcha….paper gasket on head(installed ‘dry’)….rtv on China wall….turkey pan(installed ‘dry’..and then intake👍🤠
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2022 at 9:35PM
No problem, we are here to help. You can use a high tack to hold the paper gaskets in place. Some people also use a sealant around the ports. I used Permatex Aviation sealant around the ports to help ensure there are no vacuum leaks. 
Vince

GTS.org Admin
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-September-2022 at 6:18PM
Honestly, there are no dumb*** questions. Everyone here is good with answering any questions. The GTS forum is an excellent resource.

I have never seen a two piece intake seal like that before, so it peaked my curiosity as to how it went together. Is this the "new and improved" method of sealing the intake? Maybe it is. It should solve your problem.

It's not a difficult job. Cleanliness is paramount! I used a hand held mini air powered disk to clean all of the surfaces. Much better than scrapers...and faster.

The manifold is heavy...about 40 lbs. Be sure to wear a truss lol! How i got mine back on, i attached a length of chain on the carb studs and ran a long rod (about a car width long in length) and with a second person helping, lift and walk with the manifold into position and lower it down. 

Or use a hoist.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2022 at 4:04AM
Originally posted by 78FordLtd2 78FordLtd2 wrote:

Honestly, there are no dumb*** questions. Everyone here is good with answering any questions. The GTS forum is an excellent resource.

I have never seen a two piece intake seal like that before, so it peaked my curiosity as to how it went together. Is this the "new and improved" method of sealing the intake? Maybe it is. It should solve your problem.

It's not a difficult job. Cleanliness is paramount! I used a hand held mini air powered disk to clean all of the surfaces. Much better than scrapers...and faster.

The manifold is heavy...about 40 lbs. Be sure to wear a truss lol! How i got mine back on, i attached a length of chain on the carb studs and ran a long rod (about a car width long in length) and with a second person helping, lift and walk with the manifold into position and lower it down. 

Or use a hoist.

That's the original Cleveland intake gasket parts kit, the pan is a heat barrier to the intake. Ford was aiming at racing, so the Cleveland got some special design features etc. I still have a new one in the box.

I don't plan to use the pan for my RPM Air Gap intake, the ports are already raised and air cooled.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2022 at 12:10PM
from the factory Ford did not use any fiber gaskets, just the metal pan, 2 end seals and 4 dabs of sealer in the corners. 1st thing you do is throw the end seals as far as you can. use RTV to replace the end seals. me personally i'd skip the metal tray and use the Race style gaskets to seal the intake to the heads, skip the fancy gaskets with the sealer around the port holes, just get the plain gaskets with no beads of sealer. Mr Gasket 214 or equivalent, no Ultra-Seal Print-O-Seals or any of that crap. plain gaskets. if you skip the metal tray the intake needs to be 'inside the engine clean' on the under side

72 GT Ute

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2022 at 5:11AM
topic just came up somewhere else on the inteweb, i'll just copy/paste my 'today's best answer'

that's a contentious topic. the assy line used 4 dabs of sealant in the corners, set the china wall end seals in place and located the gasket tray to the dowels on the heads and that was it. it worked and it was fast. Fel-Pro tray kits come with a set of very thin fiber gaskets that the assy line did not use, and nobody agrees on which side of the tray the belong on. IDR ever seeing any direction from Fel-Pro as to their concept of where the fiber gaskets belong either? it just now came to me, the fiber gaskets may be included for use with aluminum intakes? Edelbrock recommends against the use of the steel tray, likely because long term contact between their alloy products and the steel gasket will result in electrolysis corrosion, and aluminum always loses that fight. Edelbrocks products would be looked upon as inferior quality by the masses not aware of electrolysis after the intake seal fails due to the corrosion.

Are The Fiber Gaskets Intended to Isolate The Aluminum From The Steel, Preventing The Electrolysis Corrosion Process?

i'd say the best way depends upon what type of intake you have and how long you intend for it to remain undisturbed. i'll disagree with anybody that uses or says RTV is suitable. even if way too much is not used and blobbed into the ports, RTV is broken down by gas, it's just not sound engineering. i've used Edelbrock's Gasgacinch to reinstall a previously used steel tray, it seemed to me like nothing more than rubber cement at the time. now i'm not sure gas won't degrade the Gasgacinch either?

if i were to find myself using a steel turkey pan intake gasket right now at this moment, on a cast iron intake i'd use RTV for the end seals and set the pan on the heads clean and dry before dropping the manifold in place also clean and dry. for an aluminum intake i'd do the same but with the fiber gaskets secured in place on the top side of the pan. IIRC the kit comes with a small tube of Brush-Tack, that must be why it's in there? and maybe a thin coat of vaseline, grease or antiseize on the gasket mating surface of the manifold

Edited by Rockatansky - 15-October-2022 at 10:11AM
72 GT Ute

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2022 at 8:54AM
Great info Rock.  That does make more sense about having the fiber gaskets against the aluminum intake.  Although I don't know how much corrosion through electrolysis would occur without coolant ports.  I had an Oldsmobile 307 with an aluminum intake (factory) and it also used a turkey pan.  I remember the only corrosion I had on it was a bit around the coolant ports.  When I worked at the GM dealer, those engines seemed to be problematic for corrosion around the coolant ports, I never saw it elsewhere.  Oldsmobile only used a metal gasket, not fiber.

When I did my turkey pan, I used Permatex Aviation Form A gasket (Permatex #3) around the ports.  It is resistant to fuel and never hardens.

Vince

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply