The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New mbr/69 torino conv lift arms cracked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New mbr/69 torino conv lift arms cracked
    Posted: 28-September-2022 at 4:32PM
Just wanted to introduce myself, I am a new GTS forum member:) and just bought a fairly rough shape 69 Torino Convertible with 351W4V/FMX/9"Diff. My goal with this forum is to learn as much as I can about these cars and hopefully resource/rebuild/refurb any parts needed as I build/refurb it.

As far as the car goes, floor/trunk pans were previously replaced, and the rear 1/4 panels/wheelhouses have been repaired. The drive train is in really good shape, dash/electrical all works but needs a new top, exterior paint job and the entire interior needs refurb. I have 99% of the original parts (mostly in boxes) that will just take time a patience to straighten, clean and and/or re-chrome/re-paint before assembly. 

The only parts that I'm not sure I can refurb is the aluminum convertible top lift arms that are heavily corroded and cracked where the cable assist spring is mounted. These arms act as part of the top frame and as part of small side window channel. Additionally, the original two spoke steering wheel center pad is badly warped.  

Does anyone know an aftermarket source or individual that might have new/good used replacements for these items?

Thanks all in advance for any repair advice/references anyone can provide.

v/r
DougR,
69 Torino GT Conv, 351W4V/FMX/9"3.0 Diff/build inwk 09/2022
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2022 at 1:45AM
Welcome Doug!  I upgraded you to a new members and you have full forum access.  I moved your question to the 1968-69 section in hopes it might get answered by someone who has more experience with these cars.  To my knowledge the lift arms are not reproduced.  You'd have to source some used ones.

Here is a used steering wheel pad that might help you:

https://www.fatmansgarage.com/products/1968-1969-ford-torino-ranchero-fairlane-steering-wheel-pad-68-69-red-oem
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Spartandoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2022 at 3:43PM
Vince, thanks for the forum location update and steering pad URL location, figures the pad was sold by the time I finished all my hurricane Ian prep, just my luck... 

in getting started with this build I'm just stoked with this car... Does anyone have any advice for a good product to stop internal panel/wheelhouse rust without a complete car teardown and acid bath or media blast? Previous body work completed looks really good with lower quarter panel sheet metal and lower wheelhouses sheet metal replaced/patched. I plan on making this car a driver for pleasure and not a show car but want to stop as much rust as I can without causing any petroleum base type products that could bleed through into previous repairs? I do plan on pulling any all parts off that I can to media blast and paint/recondition and/or should, I cut the rear quarters out now and replace them before paint? I've seen worse quarter panel repairs and rust and I just hate to cut out all the previous body work for the expense involved if I don't have to.
DougR,
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2022 at 12:39PM
The only products I know that can stop or slow down further rust are oil spray type rustproofing.  Lots used products like Fluid Film or Krown with success.  Living in an area that sees lots of road salt, I have been a 25+ year user of Krown rust proofing on my daily drivers.  It really does work, especially when sprayed inside panels.  Local body shops recommend it too, and I haven't heard of it or seen it bleed through body work (I have used it on some old cars that had body work).  Ultimately though it would be a stop gap until you can properly fix the body work.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2022 at 2:19PM
Thanks Vince, I really appreciate your reply on this and sorry for the slow response but been out of town for a while. I'll give the Krown product a go. Hopefully this'll will get me by for a while to see me through the preliminary build. This car needs a good bit to get it rolling and I'll do the wheelhouses and rear quarters R2 when I get a few more dimes in a row. 
DougR,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2022 at 2:43PM
Just to throw it out to the community once again does anyone have a used part source for the aluminum convertible top lift arms? These arms lift/retract the conv top frame and provide as part of small rear quarter window channel. Or will lift arms from a Mustang or some other ford work?

Edited by Spartandoug - 19-October-2022 at 3:26PM
DougR,
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2022 at 1:59PM
there's an episode of Wheeler Dealers that showed an outfit that might have 1/2 a chance of being able to help you out, not sure if this is the place but maybe give them a call anyway. it may take some legwork, gotta start somewhere

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2022 at 4:11AM
Thanks Rockatansky! I'll check it out. Additionally, I just got up with my local chrome shop guy and he's pretty sure he can fabricate two arms made out of steel or reinforce my old ones. I really appreciate it.

Tks again,
v/r 
DougR,
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2022 at 5:30PM
Hello.

I have a complete top removed from a 1969 Montego MX vert.

It is the complete top mechanism, it is 100% operational and in good order.

I also have the complete wiring harness, switch, pump and most of the vert specific items.

There is no way I will separate the specific items you are asking for from this top, but I will sell the unit complete for $300.

I live in MA, and the item would need to be shipped freight.

If you wanted the pump (bench tested good), and the rest of the wiring I would add it in for cheap.

Thanks, Mike Howard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2022 at 6:58PM
Very cool mtburger, thanks... This is my first vert and was worried about this one. I would love to have the top. give me a call tomorrow (7ofour six41 sixtwo9two) and we'll work out the details for shipping and the other parts.

Tks again, so glad I joined this forum. 
v/r

DougR,
Paul@Perth View Drop Down
Brand New Member
Brand New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul@Perth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2023 at 2:48AM
Hi V/R.
How did you get on with your lift arms?
I have a 70 vert that needs a full restoration, and the lift arms have cracked and been welded and cracked again. I am looking to make two new ones but I am worried that I will get the holes for the pins slightly out of place.
Do you get any made?
Cheers
Paul

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartandoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2023 at 2:09AM
I ended up finding a complete vert frame with good lift arms out of a parted out Montego. Mtburger from this forum really helped me out and has been a wealth of knowledge for my current build. I also found that face book, Ebay, and other forums are the great resources to help in finding decent used parts. Vert frame and trim parts are really hard to find but have had some good luck with Ebay as well. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your endeavors on this.

v/r
DougR
DougR,
 Post Reply Post Reply