The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any 351M or 400 around?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any 351M or 400 around?
    Posted: 07-October-2022 at 3:11AM
Hi Guys! I have recently picked up a 81 Bronco that sat in the weeds for 12 years and found to my dismay that there are 2 cylinders that are pretty full of water! The intake manifold is also extremely rusty inside, so I'm thinking this motor is probably shot, short of a full rebuild. I can't afford that right now, so I'm trying to find a running motor that can last a few years to put in this thing. So far, no luck...anyone have one in Southern Arizona?  Im already trying all the junk yards, they are laughing at me.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2022 at 11:11AM
72 GT Ute

piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2022 at 10:40AM
I live in Florida and bought classic car parts from Desert Valley Auto Parts..  They are courteous, friendly and competitivein their pricing.. 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2022 at 9:02PM
 i have a 400 but im in wa. state! mike i think still has a rebuilt 400 in ca.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 4:41AM
I have a 400 currently being built if interested. It is at Phoenix Engine, so it's in your area already. Let me know if interested, I can get an update from the shop on this.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2022 at 2:58AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm inquiring with Desert Valley, haven't heard anything back yet.
Mike, again, thanks, but it sounds like you have already invested some money in that motor and I need something really low buck at this time. I do have a lead of a running 351M in Tucson for $650, so I might just follow that one up.

Meanwhile,  the existing engine might still be salvageable. I have been able to get it to turn part ways after a bunch of Pb blaster, healthy doses of oil, and laying on the ground with a big breaker bar. It still gets stuck where it was originally which I think is when #4 (the one that had water in it) is close to TDC. I plan on pulling the heads this week to get eyes on the problem. I tried to do it this weekend,  but I was on call and was working from sun up to sundown due to a bunch of issues.

The elite is in my shop on stands with a bad starter. I'm just waiting on the new one to come in...
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2022 at 9:10AM
That engine that doesn't turn easily due to water in a cylinder, the rings and cylinder will not seal well at all. I wouldn't even attempt to run it unless it was for that junkyard TV show etc. Machine work is high dollar these days, finding a complete engine is the cheapest way to go. That has made old complete JY engines go up in price, what use to be under $200 is now as you found, $650 etc.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2022 at 9:29AM
Yep definitely have some coin invested in this build. Decided to change direction and go with a 351W to keep it more original to the S&H Pilot episode Torino. If anyone is interested in a rebuilt 400, this will be cheaper than your $6K crate engine. Let me know.
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2022 at 12:52PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

That engine that doesn't turn easily due to water in a cylinder, the rings and cylinder will not seal well at all. I wouldn't even attempt to run it unless it was for that junkyard TV show etc. Machine work is high dollar these days, finding a complete engine is the cheapest way to go. That has made old complete JY engines go up in price, what use to be under $200 is now as you found, $650 etc.

what if I pulled this motor apart and did a quick hone of the cylinders, replaced rings, had the valves done, replaced oil pump and slapped it back together?  Anyone have luck with such a shade tree rebuild on these motors? I've done it before on a 81 datsun and it ran pretty well afterwards. 
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2022 at 12:53PM
Desert Valley has a 400 crank of unknown condition for 200.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2022 at 6:50AM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

what if I pulled this motor apart and did a quick hone of the cylinders, replaced rings, had the valves done, replaced oil pump and slapped it back together?  Anyone have luck with such a shade tree rebuild on these motors? I've done it before on a 81 datsun and it ran pretty well afterwards. 

That will work if the cylinders aren't too badly rusted. That's what I'd do, take it apart and see how they look. It may be that all you need is the cylinders reworked, plus replace things like the rings, bearings, oil pump etc. For bargain budget, you will try to reuse the pistons and rods/bolts, but those would be next on my list to replace if possible.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2022 at 6:56AM
I've already done all of this to my 400. Maybe we can work a deal if you're wanting a long term solution and depending if we can get the timeline of my build as well as your timeline for the engine lined up. The cost of these parts for what I paid is likely a lot cheaper than the cost of these parts today. But totally up to you!
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2022 at 4:38PM
I won't be sure about what I got till I get the heads off, I'll let you know then.
 Post Reply Post Reply