The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BFG vs Cooper Cobra Radial Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BFG vs Cooper Cobra Radial Tires
    Posted: 28-November-2022 at 12:25PM
With purchasing new rims, I have started to research tires.

I want to get radial tires with white lettering to go on my Magnum 500 rims.

I saw several reviews on the BFG tires that the white lettering becomes discolored over time, they cite chemicals in the tires does it.  Several people said they were going to go to Cooper Cobras.

Does anyone have any feedback on this topic?

I am now leaning to the Cooper Cobras Radials, but wanted to get more info on the topic first.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2022 at 1:25PM
When I switched from 14" Magnums, (with BFGs), to 15" Magnums, I went with the Cooper Cobras. I am not sure if one is necessarily better than the other, but I like Coopers better and they seemed to have better ratings on Tire Rack. I had also heard about the discoloration in the BFG's too.

spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2022 at 1:46PM
Doug,

Thanks for the feedback, the Cooper Cobras really look sharp.

You have a nice looking Gran Torino!

What size tires did you go with on the 15" Magnums?

Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2022 at 10:01AM
15x7 with 225/70-15 front
15x8 with 275/60-15 rear

spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2022 at 11:14AM
Thanks Doug!  This is very helpful!

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2022 at 11:57AM
I went through this choice a couple of years ago.  I went with BFG mainly because I have had good luck with them in the past and because I think they are a better looking tire.  Coopers were also harder to get locally, but even the BFGs are not nearly as easy to get as they used to be.  IMO, the Coopers have too much text, they look too busy.  The original Goodyear Polyglas RWL tires have even smaller writing than the BFGs and look better than the BFGs.  

The new set of  BFGs on my Torino have been ok but not great.  They were tough to balance and the letters definitely brown easier than the old tires, but they do clean up (Goo Gone works well).  I bought another set around the same time, they weren't for my Torino, and I actually had to warranty them due to having issues balancing.  

Coopers have a higher "T" speed rating vs the lower "S" rating of the BFGs. They too seem to have some browning letter issues but not to the same degree as BFGs.  They are also usually a bit narrower in general than BFGs when compared size for size.

Are the Cooper's better? I don't know.  I have always considered Cooper a 2nd tier brand, while BFG a 1st tier (they are part of Michelin).  However, BFG has definitely put these tires out to pasture and not improved them with time. They used to be made in USA but now are made in Mexico. Honestly, both are pretty mediocre tires by today's standards and are probably pretty close in real world performance on our old cars.  I'd say buy which ever one you like the looks of better and has the best dealer.

Edited by 72FordGTS - 29-November-2022 at 12:03PM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2022 at 12:19PM
Vince,

Thanks for the feedback, it is really helpful. 

I just placed the order for the rims, so based on other's experience, I'm guestimating they won't arrive until the Spring-time.  The sales lead at Wheel Vintiques said their current stock of the version I ordered was being sent to Summit to fulfill an order.

I'll probably look at a couple more photos on Torinos and check availability of both brands - it sounds like there are pros and cons of both.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2022 at 3:40AM
You should check out Milestar and Mastercraft tires also . They have some pretty good tires without breaking the bank , gotta figure most of these classic cars will have tires dry rot before they wear out considering the miles that they actually get driven .
DougS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2022 at 4:33AM
I'm not sure if Cooper was their own brand before or not, but Cooper is now owned by Goodyear as of last year I believe.
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2022 at 4:47AM
Here is an AP news article on the news of Goodyear acquiring Cooper last year :

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
kychevyguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kychevyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2022 at 12:27PM
Summer of 21, I needed new tires for my Ranchero and went with the Coopers. They were a little cheaper than BFGs and in stock at Tire Rack where the BFGs were not. I have zero complaints with the Coopers, and there has been no yellowing in the past year and a half with it parked outside too. If I had to do it all over again, I would once again go with the Coopers.
JT, USAF Ret./Architect
1971 Ford F100 "Lizzy"
1971 Cougar XR7 "Kitty"
1984 Chevy Silverado "Sylvia"
2009 Smart Fortwo Cabrio "Lil Dude"
2015 Volvo XC60 R-Design "Sven"
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2022 at 6:22AM
I think Cooper has improved their tires over the last several years. I have worn out several sets on my SUV's in that time. I don't know the effect Goodyear will have, I have avoided them always due to poor reviews, whether stock tires or replacements. They never seem to last long, don't stick well in the rain, have noise, harsh rides etc. Hopefully it's just ownership, and not meddling with the quality.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2022 at 3:56PM
[QUOTE=DougS]I'm not sure if Cooper was their own brand before or not, but Cooper is now owned by Goodyear as of last year I believe.[/QUOTES]

Shocked
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 1:37PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I ended up going with the Cooper Cobras GT from Tire Rack … the rims are arriving tomorrow and the tires the next day!

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 2:34PM
Just my .02 
I will never use cooper tires again. I bought some new cooper tires for my mustang. My first trip, 50 miles or so, two tires separated cuasing me to have to call a tow truck. $450 later I was home. Cooper said they would NOT warranty the tires because I was driving a "high performance" car. REALLY?!?!   I will NEVER buy coopers again. BFGs at least, maybe even Goodyear eagles. 
Cooper can kiss my A$$
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 3:35PM
67gt5003119 - sorry to hear you had that experience.

I researched this extensively and Cooper Cobras G/T had a lot of positive feedback.  

I’m looking forward to this upgrade for my Gran Torino.  I’ll let the forum know how things go in my project thread.

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 4:23PM
Originally posted by 67gt5003119 67gt5003119 wrote:

Just my .02 
I will never use cooper tires again. I bought some new cooper tires for my mustang. My first trip, 50 miles or so, two tires separated cuasing me to have to call a tow truck. $450 later I was home. Cooper said they would NOT warranty the tires because I was driving a "high performance" car. REALLY?!?!   I will NEVER buy coopers again. BFGs at least, maybe even Goodyear eagles. 
Cooper can kiss my A$$
Didn’t happen to get them to put in writing what exactly constitutes a “high performance” car, did you?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 4:47PM
The Cooper tires I purchased from Tire Rack come with a Consumer Warranty that covers Cooper, Mastercraft,
and Starfire tires.  

Replacement tires for defects are free of charge, there is no mention of exclusions for classic cars.

It also provides a 45 day test drive warranty.

The warranty also has a tread wear protection for the Cobras G/T for 40,000 miles.  The tread warranty is a pro-rated warranty against the 40,000 miles.

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
67gt5003119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67gt5003119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 5:41PM
Nope, I was 17 and never thought past my......nose.
These days it would be a different story. 
EDIT....Keep in mind I went through this in 1987!!....
I'm sure due to them being bought out a few times by bigger companies,  the service would improve.  Also consider the manager probably didn't want the hassel of all the paperwork and just takinq the easy way out by saying things about my car.....

Edited by 67gt5003119 - 27-December-2022 at 5:49PM
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 8:45PM
 yeah i think coopers back then were crap! i've heard they are good now ? never tried the passenger sizes of mastercraft, but i have their coarser M/T tires on my blazer hopefully they are still the same as i will buy another set when these wear out...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2022 at 12:53AM
I’ve had a lot of mastercraft over the years on many of my vehicles and have been happy with them.
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2022 at 5:24AM
The Cooper brand has become a popular truck tire choice, I have had several sets so far, and just ordered another for my SUV, 255/70/16's.

The Mastercraft was a good choice I saw when I was deciding. I have the 255/60/15's I ordered just before the ETA date of the wheels I want. They pushed back the ETA a few weeks later, and I think they are doing it again now. I ordered the other wheels from Summit, and were due about now. I have to call them all again to see what news is official.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2022 at 6:15AM
Tire rack also includes roadside assistance in the purchase.

I purchased new tires from Tire Rack when they first opened their website for my Dodge Avenger.  They shipped the tires right to the installer outside my Army base.  

Great to see they have grown.

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2023 at 3:15PM
My experience with cooper cobra tires is they were too soft a compound and wore out way too fast. Also something about my 1988 Ford Tempo GLS 5 speed coupe doing J turns at 45MPH and dumping the clutch at 4,000RPM, along with taking interstate cloverleafs way beyond what that Tempo GLS 2 door had any right doing.
I ran 295/50R15 coopers on my mom's 1976 Elite in high school as my first driver. I switched to BFG radial TA's in the mid-late 90's on my 1984 F150. 255/60R15 and 295/50R15's on all four corners during summer months. Leared Armorall destroyed/dry rotted the material BFG tires are made from.

Buddy from Bangshift, Dean, has a restored Clydesdale 71-73 mustang. Think it was either 2010, or 2011, his tires has been on his car 4-5 years, with the car resting on jack stands out of the sun. Blew two near-new BFG's with low miles and wasted his quarter panels, on regular non-abusive driving. BFG claimed his tires, at over 4 years old were the issue and he had to take them to court if I recall.

Personally? I only buy goodyears for my car trailers, because I don't trust chinabomb trailer tires.
My 2015 Superduty is running Goodyear all terrains.

The GTS has run Nitto tires since 2009. 

Wife's Kia runs Kumho all-season radials, and no issues with them.

I say run what is in your budget, but spend money where it counts. Tires are one such factor.
Other things...Get a proper four wheel alignment. Nut and bolt the suspension.
If you shocks are old, replacement should be considered. 
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply