The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

72 gauge cluster removal help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72MLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 gauge cluster removal help
    Posted: 02-December-2022 at 4:09PM
Hey gang! I've searched through the how-tos and general searched, so sorry if I overlooked this. I've got my dash pad off and removed the cluster screws (basic cluster) and not much room to get behind it to remove things. Hated to pull tight for fear of breaking anything but making sure I wasn't being over cautious. Is there a certain step or way to get this out safely. This is as far as it wants to go. Thanks!!  (Also, posted originally in how to area by accident, can an admin delete that one?)

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2022 at 4:32PM
speedo cable has a squeeze clip, then it'll come out farther and you can release the harness plug. then maybe a couple indicator lights & whatnot
72 GT Ute

72MLC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72MLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2022 at 5:11PM
Thank you!! Not sure what I was squeezing on or at back there but it worked :) 
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2022 at 8:27PM
   i usually try to reach behind it on the left and release the speedo cable... you squeeze the edge of the plastic collar as you slide it off there's a flat section that feels like a clip squeeze that towards the center and it should slide off, then follow the wire cluster up to the back squeeze the clips on the narrow sides in and gently wiggle the connector out of the cluster
 take it out of park and that gives you more room to tilt the cluster outWink

looks like you may have more room on the right with no clock

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72MLC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72MLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2022 at 9:36PM
I managed to get it but was squeezing around from the left side and guess I got lucky. Now to track down the screws that hold the rest of the dash in. Found the top 2 easy but not seeing the lower ones. Trying to make more room to finish the floorpan at the kick panels so want it all out (painting it anyway also). Honestly surprised that no screws or nuts have been hard to turn after it sitting for so many years (knock on wood!) 
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2022 at 1:37AM
Take plenty of pictures for future reference. It will make the replacement so much easier. Ford ran the wiring harness and vacuum lines the way it did for a reason. Still don't know what that reason is. When I had my dash out I put it all back a little bit neater but, pretty much the same as it came out. Are you going to change over to the sport cluster? You're halfway there. 
Steve M.
72MLC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72MLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2022 at 2:11AM
I have a pristine sport cluster ready to go :)  Taking lots of pictures of everything I'm taking apart as a lot of this is new to me. Tried to buy this car back around 1992 and just managed to get my hands on it last year. Donor car and every last little thing you can imagine already stocked in the garage so ready to make some progress! 
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-December-2022 at 4:53AM
Very nice. 
Progress is often unseen.  The only ones who notice it are those who have done the work. Don't get discouraged. It all takes time. 
Steve M.
 Post Reply Post Reply