The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fender fitment woes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fender fitment woes?
    Posted: 27-December-2022 at 5:34AM
Hello forum. I am putting together my 72 again. I am though having a lot of trouble with front fender fitment.
My car is on stands atm….4 stands supporting the frame.
Is it best to have the car on wheels and on ground for fitment? Or does this matter at all?
Thanks..
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 6:47AM
The support locations of the jack stands will matter depending on where they are. Try to place them under the frame nearest to the wheels. You should be able to fit the fenders and doors etc, loosely, and tighten them once the support is all on the tires.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 7:20AM
Ok…thanks…..I will move the jacks to the forward crossmember.

I did have everything together…then took it all apart again…..in the hope of putting it ‘perfectly’ together……now, I have the right door hitting/scratching the fender…..very hard to correct…

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 7:23AM
It is normal for the door and fender gaps to change when you lift the car with a jack. Be careful when opening the doors whenever the vehicle is in the air, watch the gaps and how the door latches fit.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 7:27AM
Would you think it best to put wheels on car and put car on ground?

I think I will try this……
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2022 at 10:00AM
Yes I'd make final fitment of the fenders and doors etc, once it's on the tires on a fairly flat surface. You could mount it all as you have it on jack stands if they don't rub too much. If the frame is held up far from the four wheel locations, the body will be bent/stretched a lot more than under normal forces.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2022 at 2:04AM
I put fenders/etc back on car loosely. I then lifted the car slightly on the forward crossmember. This made a huge difference for gapping!🤠
I did not expect that much flex at all! Car being full-frame an’all.
I will do the final adjusting once the car is back on the ground.

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2022 at 5:18AM

That's the way to make it fit great. Thumbs Up
Don
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2022 at 12:59AM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

I put fenders/etc back on car loosely. I then lifted the car slightly on the forward crossmember. This made a huge difference for gapping!🤠
I did not expect that much flex at all! Car being full-frame an’all.
I will do the final adjusting once the car is back on the ground.

The frames on these cars and most perimeter frame cars from this era are designed to be flexible.  They were designed to flex to help absorb the road shock.  Further, the front fenders and rad support structure adds strength to the front end of the car. and reduces the frame flex.  You are definitely best to adjust the fenders with the car on its wheels.  Hopefully you kept track of how many shims were installed in each location so you can reinstall the same shim in the same locations.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2022 at 5:17AM
Yes…I took pictures of all corners and mounting points.

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2023 at 3:20PM
For the front clip, you want to start with your doors. Then build the alignment of the front clip off that. 
There are times you will need to shim the body to fender top rear points. 
Shim the bottom of the fenders to help "pull" or "push" the panels accordingly.

Also, the radiator support to frame bushings are critical. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard makes brand new bushings for early Ford Bronco 70-74? years, that are same as Torino. They also sell metal repair kits in case of rust damage to the frame area where the body mounts reside.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply