The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatigue cracking of hood inner structure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatigue cracking of hood inner structure
    Posted: 19-January-2023 at 3:33PM
So, has anyone encounter fatigue cracking of the inner hood structure near the hinge mount points on a hood?

My GTS hood has suffered metal fatigue near the passenger side hood hinge mount surface, in front of the hood mount side of the hinge on the sheet metal. Looking into wanting to see if I can find a shop to waterjet some aluminum plates and roll the material if possible at this point, or worst case, get some 1/8" plate and having it bent to match the hood structure. 

Also, if you know of any shops capable, please drop me a message here, email, or message on facebook. 
Not exactly enthused but I'll make something look appropriate at this point.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2023 at 1:52PM
I know that feeling about your hood, my 72 Sport hood finally began caving in years ago, that area where the force of pushing it down stresses it a lot. I have avoided opening the hood since then, knowing it needs to come off to do something about that.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2023 at 2:20PM
 for some reason the 72 hoods seem to be more prone to this! its caused by rusting from the inside outOuch behind the bracing isnt painted and is bare metal
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2023 at 3:08PM
Yes, I too noticed that the main surface paint was fine but there's visible rust inside the holes and behind the bracing. So over time on a hood that isn't being used(normal heat cycles help to reduce rust forming on the metal), the hidden areas start to corrode. Before the values went up many years ago, I figured I would find a better donor hood from a car that is beat up on the outside, and cut out the sections where the hinges attach. That may be the best way still, but it's more expensive now too.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 7:16AM
ok, in this case two thoughts: 
Would a brace waterjetted and bent to match the hood contour and then you have to drill holes, use a rivnut tool and install compression nuts in a few places be a way to resolve this? Or by drilling holes would I be creating potential failure points?
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 7:31AM
The thickness of the metal all around that high stress area is the key. If you can make a brace section that extends beyond the critical area, and attach it very well, that should work. If the metal is thick enough, I'd weld it carefully around the perimeter, but only welding very short distances at a time. The support will be stronger if it's welded well, and if the base metal is still thick enough. I've thought of that but long ago figured I'd find a donor hood and make a larger project to use more of it. Making smaller bracing would be faster and easier no doubt.
Don
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 4:12PM
 12 or 14 ga. sheetmetal welding onto the structure should be plenty good Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply