The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carburetor differences.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carburetor differences.
    Posted: 28-January-2023 at 9:30PM
Hi forum… QQ. I found a (cheap/50bucks🤠) 4300D carburetor as a backup to my original. The original carburetor on the car now is a 4sp/manual carburetor.
The (new) carburetor is however for an automatic…it has kickdown lever an’all.
What are the internal differences (if any) exactly? I know Ford made the 4100 carburetor interchangeable between automatics and manuals.
Was this the same for the 4300D’s?
I will post some pictures when I get the carburetor.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2023 at 3:44AM
There were a large number of carbs used with '72 CJs, but most of them were for Mustangs. From this chart below, it looks like Torinos (B) only used 1 of 2 carbs (Mustang is F).

The best way to know if the carbs are exactly the same is by the carb tag, which is listed above in the chart.  Try and get the tag number from the new carb and maybe we can figure out what it is from originally. Otherwise, if they aren't exactly the same, it should be close enough to work. There might be some minor differences in the calibration, but I doubt that it's anything significant. 

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2023 at 5:54AM
wow…great info…thanks👍🤠
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2023 at 10:16PM
The carb I purchased for 50bucks is a 3ZF MA. For a 73 Mustang automatic. The manual carb for same period is 3ZF LA. It seems the only difference is the kickdown lever……?
Secondaries were jammed. I took carb apart and put all parts in ultrasonic cleaner. This carb was dirty and had been HOT.
I managed to get the secondaries swinging again.
I do need new ‘outside’ springs….any ideas?
I also need the secondary lock out lever…….any ideas.
I will keep this carb as a kinda back up for my other 4300D.

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-February-2023 at 4:42AM
I'd check a place that specializes in vintage carb rebuilds and 4300 carbs to see if they have the parts.  THis is once place:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply