The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

push rods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: push rods
    Posted: 17-March-2023 at 7:17AM
As I know nothing about cam lifter push rod relationship can anyone explain.
traded a 302 ho crate motor for a set of magnum rims. He tossed the cam and lifter. So I decided to pull a cam from my 90 mark v11 ho. Had cam checked no uneven wear. Today I compared the push rods. Well the 88 are atleast a half longer than the ones out of the 90. What does this mean.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2023 at 10:37AM
Originally posted by fordpower fordpower wrote:

As I know nothing about cam lifter push rod relationship can anyone explain.
traded a 302 ho crate motor for a set of magnum rims. He tossed the cam and lifter. So I decided to pull a cam from my 90 mark v11 ho. Had cam checked no uneven wear. Today I compared the push rods. Well the 88 are atleast a half longer than the ones out of the 90. What does this mean.

The Mark VII had a 302 HO, thus the roller cam and shorter pushrods. That other 302 was not an HO, it evidently was a flat tappet cam engine. Roller cams use roller lifters, which are much longer than a lifter for any flat tappet cam.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2023 at 12:06PM
That makes sense except the 88 had 351 firing order. I'll have to ask if it had roller lifters. The story is has this crate motor he got when he bought out a whole ford dealer. Instead of rebuilding his 289 would use it. after getting it in it would not run. changed firing order to 351 it ran great except it would not idle under 1000rpms and that was rough.Got upset pulled it rebuild the 289 and traded me for the wheels. I'm just not sure what I should do.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2023 at 12:24PM
I bet the engine had a mix of parts he used to get it to run, and something was mismatched enough it needs to be sorted out. If the pistons are a typical 9:1 stock set, then almost any stock 302 heads can work. But the valve springs need to be matched to the cam that is used, and stock cams don't vary as much as aftermarket and bigger ones do. I'd still want to either replace the springs or check the specs very carefully and have them verified to work with the cam you use.

The late Fords 302 or 351 will all be 50oz balanced, and use the 13726548 firing order. I'd stick with those unless you had to have some odd different firing order or weight parts in it. Just be sure all of the imbalance of the balancer/crank/flexplate are all the same, the cam matches the lifters, and then the pushrods, and the spring specs. In general if that stuff is all a proper match, it should run fine with whatever you put on it for intake/carb etc.

People on the Corral post every once in a while about an older 302 they have begun working on to install, or it's in and they have questions. Usually the biggest problems come when they mix some of those items I mentioned, the parts balance, or the cam versus valve springs etc(and they have an aftermarket cam etc too). It's not all that hard until you get to mixing performance aftermarket parts that usually have more detailed needs to work right with various stock parts.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2023 at 3:01AM
neighbor said he was told it was a ho motor because of the firing order.Also the new cam he bought to replace the one in it did not match?He got real upset threw away the cam and decided to rebuild his 289.He never mentioned the lifters which makes me believe it was flat tappet not roller
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2023 at 5:35AM
Yes, it's not hard to figure out which parts are from a roller engine versus the flat tappet. The valve springs might work for either if they are new and the cam is stock lift(those were all low lift, .450" range).

If the heads you use needed anything, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a replacement spring kit from Alexsparts. Here's one from their site, ask for sure before buying anything, I found this on the first page of items listed under 302 HO;

Most 302's of the 80's had the same compression ratio, within a narrow range of 9:1, so most have pistons that will clear any stock 302 heads and stock cams. The 86 HO 302 was unique, a one year model that had slightly different pistons to match the slightly different sized combustion chamber. I'd avoid those pistons and heads always, they are stock parts but don't offer anything to gain versus any aftermarket parts.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply