The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best radiator/fan option 1972 ATK crate engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best radiator/fan option 1972 ATK crate engine
    Posted: 17-May-2023 at 9:49AM
I'm building a 1972 LTD. I know it's not a Torino, but this forum seems to have decent activity and the 2 vehicles share many of the same parts. I'll make a build thread with photos at some point, but need to sort out my cooling system. 

The original fan shroud was broken (probably due to a damaged motor mount). I don't want to reuse the original 50 year old radiator. I also don't want to trust my new $8k engine to a cheap Chinese radiator from eBay. 

Autozone lists a Duralast radiator for $524. This seems pretty pricey. The core is also on the small side. I used a Duralast radiator previously in another project, and it was thinner than the OEM radiator, but cooled totally fine. Should I just go with this one? Or is there a better alternative?

The listed dimensions from Autozone are:  26-1/8" x 17-7/8" x 1-1/4" Core

I believe radiator/fan fitment is essentially the same between the Torino and LTD.

As far as the fans, I haven't researched it much yet, but want something pretty powerful. The alternator will be 140 amp (CVF conversion kit). 

I appreciate any and all suggestions! Thank you in advance. 
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 10:59AM
FWIW, I use an all aluminum 3 core Champion radiator(#CC390) along with a Windstar dual electric radiator fan assembly in my 472 powered '79 Ranchero, these have been installed since '12 with no cooling issues, just know there is a fair bit of wiring to be done to keep the system trouble-free. Not saying an electric fan is the ultimate in cooling, but was an option that I chose to pursue and has been a good choice for me. As far as alternator, I originally swapped out the 65 amp 1G alt. for a large cased 130 amp 3G sourced from a '93 Ford Taurus w/ 3.0. It was clocked correctly for my application and never gave me any issues and I ran decent amount of electrical loads. I have since upgraded to a 320 amp unit from Autotech Engineering due to upgrading my stereo system(radiator fans do spin faster now with 14.7V set point Wink). 
BTW, if your LTD runs a shunt for an ammeter gauge set-up(not familiar with their dash gauge set-up), that will need to be removed and/or upgraded to a larger cable that has the amperage capacity of your new alternator-10ga is used for the original shunt. You'll need at least 4 ga for a safety factor when a 100+ amperage unit is used. Hope this info is helpful.   

Edited by aquartlow - 17-May-2023 at 12:10PM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 12:02PM
www.radiator.com is a good reference for rad sizes & fitment applications, see what they list
72 GT Ute

GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 12:40PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

www.radiator.com is a good reference for rad sizes & fitment applications, see what they list

Nice. Thank you! Maybe I will go with them. 

They list a 26 X 18 with cores between 1 3/8" to 2 1/4". 

GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 12:43PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

FWIW, I use an all aluminum 3 core Champion radiator(#CC390) along with a Windstar dual electric radiator fan assembly in my 472 powered '79 Ranchero, these have been installed since '12 with no cooling issues, just know there is a fair bit of wiring to be done to keep the system trouble-free. Not saying an electric fan is the ultimate in cooling, but was an option that I chose to pursue and has been a good choice for me. As far as alternator, I originally swapped out the 65 amp 1G alt. for a large cased 130 amp 3G sourced from a '93 Ford Taurus w/ 3.0. It was clocked correctly for my application and never gave me any issues and I ran decent amount of electrical loads. I have since upgraded to a 320 amp unit from Autotech Engineering due to upgrading my stereo system(radiator fans do spin faster now with 14.7V set point Wink). 
BTW, if your LTD runs a shunt for an ammeter gauge set-up(not familiar with their dash gauge set-up), that will need to be removed and/or upgraded to a larger cable that has the amperage capacity of your new alternator-10ga is used for the original shunt. You'll need at least 4 ga for a safety factor when a 100+ amperage unit is used. Hope this info is helpful.   

Thank you for the heads up on the alternator. I have no idea what to do with my wiring as of yet. Trying to just take it one step at a time. Hoping to have the front suspension and brakes sorted out in the next week or so and will figure out the wiring once the engine is dropped in and the fenders/radiator support are back on. 
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 12:59PM
When I was trying to locate a new rad for my 78 LTD ll, there was none to be had. Rockauto was out of stock on everything leaving me with the only option of having mine re-built. The good part was that I was able to uograde to a 3 row with larger tanks and that it was all copper and brass. I probably paid more that what I had wanted to pay but there was no issue with fitment and it is a good quality radiator. 

And...I supported a local business.

It now runs nice and cool and it looks like a stock rad. 

Electric fans are nice but for what's involved in making it all work, I'd stick with a good clutch type fan.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2023 at 3:08PM
A clutch driven fan is very reliable and worth it if it's easy to get one that fits the shroud well. That's a great baseline, better than any old school flex fan, and usually much more reliable than an electric fan.

To be reliable, and electric fan needs some high quality power controller system, not any simple relays. There are many OEM fan controllers on late model cars that are simple to adapt, and cheaper than many aftermarket controllers. I liked the DCC progressive controller I installed on my 99 Explorer with a used Volvo fan.

The old Fords happily have tons of room for any fans, so it's not hard to choose one based just on how it fills the shroud, plus air flow. You don't have to limit the fans to those which are very thin. The late Crown Vics in some models could have a large clutch fan or an electric fan, the shrouds all were large.

I haven't begun to consider what I may do with my 73 and 351C.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
schufitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schufitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2023 at 3:01AM
I went the same route as 78FordLtd2.  My '69 has A/C, hence a 24" rad.  The Mustang ones are too short, and no places seemed to have anything looking close to factory style in stock.  The local shop used the factory tanks and was also able to go to 3-row for better cooling and they also installed a new neck.  Wasn't cheap at $800 but had it back in 5 days.

Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2023 at 9:21AM
I installed the 428 Fan & Clutch on my 351 Winsor. Really keeps things cool! They also carry replacement shrouds. (Note: Though they specialize in Cougars, many Ford parts are interchangeable)

GKF
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2023 at 5:50PM
I went ahead and ordered from Radiator.com. It's brass, 3 core, with 2 1/4" core. Hope that will be good! I'm sure it should be. 
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2023 at 7:17AM
I think I will listen to the advice from here and go with a manual fan/shroud. The only challenge is finding a shroud. There is one available for $485 on eBay. There's a lot of others out there (for Torino), but I have no idea if they are the same. There are universal aftermarket aluminum shrouds that can be modified, but look like kind of a PITA and probably aren't the most efficient. 
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2023 at 9:37AM
Ping @Hogfiddles, he probably has the shroud.
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2023 at 11:34AM
Grab a clutch fan & wait for a shroud to come along.... happy with converting mine from stock to clutch!
Al
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2023 at 1:25PM
I think @JoeLombardo had stock shrouds . Maybe four or five for sale.
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2023 at 12:23PM
Well, I dug out the radiator / shroud that I pulled off the vehicle. This is not the original fan. The part # is: D1AE-8146-BA

Someone took it from a 400ci and modified it to clear the engine. I also need the fan. I thought I saved it, but must have gave it away with the accessories when I sold the engine last year. 

I am thinking this is the proper shroud: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255833385596

I believe this is the correct fan: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275717076450

(UPDATE: I ended up buying the above shroud and fan..Crossing my fingers they work out)

Way more money than I'd like to spend...but I guess a good electric fan setup with controller would have been about that much...

Below is my old, incorrect) fan shroud.

Edited by GregSmith - 23-May-2023 at 5:53AM
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2023 at 1:57AM
That fan shroud is repairable with some patience and the correct bonding material.. I've done many of them at our body shop.
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2023 at 7:11AM
Originally posted by piper62j piper62j wrote:

That fan shroud is repairable with some patience and the correct bonding material.. I've done many of them at our body shop.

Yea, it's the wrong shroud anyways... Hopefully the one coming will be correct and fit/look better. Should be delivered Tuesday. 
 Post Reply Post Reply