The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1972 LTD: Which wheel / tire combo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 LTD: Which wheel / tire combo?
    Posted: 29-May-2023 at 4:34PM
Putting my LTD back together and trying to figure out what wheels/tires can fit. I would like to go a little beefier on the rear and skinnier on the front for a bit of the "drag car" look - but I don't want anything to rub. 

I'm thinking of going with 61 Outlaw wheels. The come in various sizes and offsets. 15X7 for front and 15X8 for rear?  Picture is below. 

Honestly, I do not totally understand backspacing and tire sizes. It's a little complicated to try to visualize without the wheels and tires in hand. I read through a lot of the wheel/tire size sticky thread and will examine it more closely. Obviously, this is not a Torino, but I assume size options are similar.

Last are a couple pictures of the car when I first got it with Crown Vic wheels and 235/70/R15 tires. They clear OK, but the wheels won't fit the new Dutchman axle center bores. It looks like factory options are 215/70/15, 225/65/15, or 225/60/16.

I appreciate any suggestions and thank you for reading! Thumbs Up

72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 2:03AM
I kind of like the turbine type wheels that you have on the car now. Anderslober's Cyclone has a sportier version of wheels, see below:

Magnum 500s might also look good.

I am not sure on LTD wheel well sizes, but I'd assume that it would be close to a Torino.  If that's the case, you could run 15x8s all around.  On a Torino 15x8 with 4.5" back spacing fits with plenty of room.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
GregSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2023 at 6:09AM
Yes, those are nice wheels. I agree the turbine wheels looked pretty good.. But they won't clear the axles and barely cleared the front calipers.. I believe there is some wear on the inside of the wheels because of this. 

I don't know...maybe I'll just keep it simple and run the same sizes for the front and rear. Magnum 500 Vintiques would look nice. Someone had those in the wheel thread and they looked good. 
 Post Reply Post Reply