The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'73 front suspension rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlocke321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '73 front suspension rebuild
    Posted: 18-June-2009 at 12:02PM

Was wondering if someone might help me out here.  I just received a frontend kit from PST for my daughter's '73 Gran Torino Sport. My problem is - I don't really know where to start.  Before I ordered the kit, I found (by accident) a pretty good step by step write-up on "how to". If I remember corectly, it was a rebuild on an LTD ?????     Has anybody seen this web page anywhere?  If not, any advice on how to begin etc..... would be GREAT!  Thanks in advance, you guys have been much help in the past.

Jim

Just purchased for daughter- 1973 Gran Torino, 351m (uggh!- don't even ask how long it took to realize it was NOT the Cleveland!), auto, pretty good condition- as far as I can tell.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 3:07AM
When I did my first suspension rebuild, I did it like this.
1. Take all your parts.... divide by two. You should have parts for the left side and the right side... Get two boxes and divide the parts accordingly.
2. I would dissassemble one side completely. plastic bags are your friend. Group and label things like "upper control arm hardware... Lower control arm hardware.. brakes.." etc.
3. if I remember right the lower ball joint is pressed in, but the uppers are riveted. you need to grind the rivet heads off. I'd do the bushings first. (use either fire or a drill to swiss cheese the old bushings and remove them).
4. use a lot of the grease they give you on the bushings.. if you need more, get some dielectric spark plug boot grease.. same stuff.
5. put the control arms back on the car.. DO NOT tighten them down fully yet. Wait until the car is fully loaded on the ground.. This stops the bushings from being tightened under strain.
6. I highly recommend doing wheel bearings and a brake/hose check at this time.
7. Make sure you torque everything to spec.

I know this is a random list and not a how to, specifically, but its some helpful advice to get you started, I guess. I tried :)

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
castillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 3:25AM
Heres a tip
Most engines shops can hot tank and bead blast your suspension pieces before pressing the bushings.. I spent only 125.00 for all the above services and I was able to bring my pieces home to detail before the bushings were replaced.. The suspension shops around here are much higher and didn't offer the cleaning.. Also I took my steering link and stabilizer bar in to..
My dad told me 2 things.. Always drive FORDS and never marry women with names like CHERRY,PEACHES and LEMON
BBPeik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBPeik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 4:38AM
I recently redid the whole front suspension on my torino.  The bushings were all pretty easy.  I used a ball joint press to remove and install all the bushings and with a bit of ingenuity it worked quite well.  The lower ball joint has to be pressed out,  but a word of caution.  Before you try to press them out be sure to check that someone has not put tack welds on them to hold them in.  If they have you will have a hell of a time getting them out.  The upper ball joint is bolted in and should come out real easy.  Any more questions just let us know.
Thanks Brendan
1973 Gran Torino Sport 357 Cleveland FMX 3.50 auburn pro posi 1969 Black Jade
jlocke321 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlocke321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 11:14AM
Not sure why my last post did not "post".     Thanks each of you for your time. I know everybody has other things to be doing.  Thanks again for the help. I knew this was the place to go for any info regarding the Torino.  Well, I'm going to give it a shot. I cant say I'm the worst mechanic on earth, but it sure is not my best subject!

Thanks all,

Jim
Just purchased for daughter- 1973 Gran Torino, 351m (uggh!- don't even ask how long it took to realize it was NOT the Cleveland!), auto, pretty good condition- as far as I can tell.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2009 at 1:10PM
if I remember right the new bushings dont come with shells.... don't press out the old ones, in that case.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2009 at 7:18AM

I used a torch and a bucket or water.

With the arm disassembled as much as possible, I got a metal grate and suspended the arm above the bucket of water.

The folks told me that you get the bushing burning and it just burns and works itself out. Never happened for me. I got it burning (you almost have to keep it burning) and after a bit you can use a stick of some sort and push it out into the water. Wear eye and hand protection, just in case because the burning rubber hold quite a bit of heat.

It smell terrible, and is messy, but does produce the best end product. It will need a little clean up when complete.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply