The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T-5 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-5 conversion
    Posted: 02-May-2010 at 4:30PM
I'm doing a T-5 conversion in my '73 Montego, and was wondering if anybody else had done this previously?  I've run into an obstacle with the clutch set-up... I can't find a z-bar that will work, and it is starting to look like I won't be able to go hydraulic, either... But I can't find a way to make a cable work either... It looks like I need some sort of pivot for the cable to turn around on under the dash... Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

--Chad
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2010 at 4:52PM
I ended up using a complete booster/pedal cable clutch setup out of a 95 mustang
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 1:19AM
I'm most of the way through mine.......

I used a fox body pedal set up, chopped the clutch pedal off it and moved it about with a couple of heim joints and rod end bearings. It comes out just to the side of the original booster - through the original speedo cable hole.

I probably wouldn't do it this way again - a set of Willwood pedals with hydraulic clutch would make there way in......

If you need anything specific just ask - I'll get some pictures up......
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 2:31AM

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2008/04/T5Conversion/index.php

Read the second thread in particular, the hard part is done for you, someone did a how to for 72-76 midsized :)

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Hey Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 2:46AM
I wonder how well a T-5 would hold up in a heavy torino?  Is it a world class T-5?  If it were me I'd step up to something beefier like a tremec rather than a T-5 for such a heavy car.  I guess it also depends on how you use/abuse the transmission.  I destroyed more than a couple of T-5's in my '87 5.0 Mustang, but I DID abuse that car (and enjoyed every minute of it).  But the T-5's are plentiful and cheap so I guess if you break one its an easy and cheap fix.  
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 4:15AM
neejah-

Could you send me some pictures?  I am trying to figure out how to transition from push type to pull type, and what brackets are needed for the cable set-up?... I have everything else done, it's just the cable set-up that I have left... Pictures would be great!

Thanks,

--Chad
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 4:26AM
Originally posted by krivman65 krivman65 wrote:

neejah-

Could you send me some pictures?  I am trying to figure out how to transition from push type to pull type, and what brackets are needed for the cable set-up?... I have everything else done, it's just the cable set-up that I have left... Pictures would be great!

Thanks,

--Chad

No problems - I'll snap some tonight........

I just used a billet quadrant and clutch cable with firewall adjuster - straight from a Mustang.....no brackets needed really.

Cheers

Neil

PS Regarding the W/C T5.......I know that mine is a W/C and I think you can beef them up pretty well to handle the power & weight. In the UK they used to be used in TVR's which were running north of 400bhp.......although in a lighter car - but they're cheap enough if you do destroy one!
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 1:16PM
Chad,

Hopefully this might show you what I've done......

Cross member - easy modification......

Floor "hump" -

Firewall adjuster -

Linkage -

RHS of pedal box -

LHS of pedal box

If you need further info. let me know.....

Cheers

Neil
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2010 at 2:45PM
Awesome!  Thanks Neil!  I will let you know what happens.

--Chad
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 3:54AM
Hey Neil-
I was just wondering what you did to the crossmember?  I can't see any differences in the picture...

Thanks,

--Chad
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2010 at 5:06AM

Hey Neil-
I was just wondering what you did to the crossmember?  I can't see any differences in the picture...

Thanks,

--Chad

Chad,

The cross member is in the correct position forward to back, but the hole spacing is different to the T5 mount. I milled the slots so they were square - at the T5 spacing and added a plate on the underside (sort of like a large rectangular washer) to hold everything securely. 

Regards

Neil

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2010 at 5:41AM
i love this thread Tongue, i found couple of t5 cheap enough, as soon as i take the block off the car, i'll swap a T5 in the same time Big smile, the C4 drive me crazy ^^
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 10:54AM

Great thread I am late in on again.

For the cluth operation, did you guys consider moving the pivot ball to the oposite side of the T-5 bell housing.

By doing that, you convert it from a cable pull, to a mechanical push operation, and can use all the rest of the stock 4 speed stuff.

I did the same conversion in the reverse order, 429 truck bellhousing with big input toploader (push style) into a 95 Mustang with cable operation, by swaping the pivot ball to the opposite side and modifing a clutch fork.

I was trying not to spend big bucks getting a big block, and 4 speed, into a 95 Mustang GT that I picked up super cheap.

Edited by mtburger - 24-June-2010 at 10:55AM
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 3:20PM
Originally posted by mtburger mtburger wrote:

Great thread I am late in on again.

For the cluth operation, did you guys consider moving the pivot ball to the oposite side of the T-5 bell housing.

By doing that, you convert it from a cable pull, to a mechanical push operation, and can use all the rest of the stock 4 speed stuff.

I did the same conversion in the reverse order, 429 truck bellhousing with big input toploader (push style) into a 95 Mustang with cable operation, by swaping the pivot ball to the opposite side and modifing a clutch fork.

I was trying not to spend big bucks getting a big block, and 4 speed, into a 95 Mustang GT that I picked up super cheap.

I hadn't thought of that, but I didn't have the 4 speed linkage and Z-bar etc.......which is why I went down the fox body pedal arrangement. I'd thought about modifying it to take a slave cylinder and running a hydraulic clutch......which I would probably do if I was doing it again.
Although I've got the whole lot out again as I'd started the thing up and the motor was vibrating a tad - I'd machined the flywheel down incorrectly.......it was a long shot given the equipment I had! So I've pulled it all out to fit an aluminum flywheel & stage 3 clutch.......just turned up today, and looks finger licking good!
Oh, managed to pull the flywheel out in 35 minutes..........not bad considering I had the exhaust bolted back up!
krivman65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krivman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 3:41PM
mtburger- great idea!  Unfortunately, mine is done... however it definitely has room for improvement... 
mtburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2010 at 4:22PM

mtburger- great idea!  Unfortunately, mine is done... however it definitely has room for improvement... 

Thanks.

I must give credit to Kevin Coates of Wolpole, MA for telling me how to do that conversion a long time ago.

On some late model bell housings, the casting boss is located on both sides of the bell housing, liked Ford planned it that way.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2010 at 6:06PM
just a question

If i swap a 302/t5 from a mustang, is there gonna be some mods to do on the driveshaft?? And except cutting my tunnel to pass the stick, will i have to make some clearence for the clutch ??

I'm thinking about swapping a combo engine tranny from a 90s stang, it will save me some money actually, so if i don't have a lot of mods to do, i will have time to take car of the top of the engine Big smile
neejah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neejah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2010 at 3:06AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

just a question

If i swap a 302/t5 from a mustang, is there gonna be some mods to do on the driveshaft?? And except cutting my tunnel to pass the stick, will i have to make some clearence for the clutch ??

I'm thinking about swapping a combo engine tranny from a 90s stang, it will save me some money actually, so if i don't have a lot of mods to do, i will have time to take car of the top of the engine Big smile
Only thing you need to do with the driveshaft is change the yolk (get one from the doner) and also shorten by 3/4"........$60 including balancing for mine.

I didn't need to make any more clearance in the tunnel.......think dimensionally they're similar in size to te top loader.

Make sure it is a 90's stang, you get the world class tranny......what would  be nice is a 5.0 with a blower out of a mustang.......they sound awsome! (and that's a word I never, ever ever use)
 Post Reply Post Reply