The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator Hose leakage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator Hose leakage
    Posted: 19-May-2010 at 5:42PM
This relates to my 71 F-250.

Two years ago after I purchased the truck (with a new motor/trans), I went in to do "all the rest of the stuff" folks don't do after putting a new motor in (was put in 12 years prior, I did it). You know - replace the broken distributor, change belts & hoses, put a new carb on, etc.

The radiator had been cleaned, checked and some minor repair at a reputable local shop (I took it in when I was doing the above noted work a couple of summers ago). I put NAPA molded hoses on with new "standard" clamps.

It leaks! From the upper hose connection at the radiator. I swear it is coming from the hose/radiator interface, it's like the hose is not sealing. I had tightened it up a bit about 6 months ago (didn't dare tighten any more after that), and it helped, but it is still leaking. Drips, but overnight it will be a small wet area under the truck. Radiator hose connection was not deformed at all from what I remember.

I have purchased a new hose. Before I put it in, does anyone have any suggestions - tips/tricks to ensure a good seal this time?

Never had a hose leak like this before. It's not like putting a radiator hose on is a tough job that a person can make errors on.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
stuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2010 at 8:51AM
 your rad neck may have a flat spot[not good] or  try to rotate your clamp and retighten snug again 1 hour later . i found napa to be junk. at work we use napa it's a miserable failure. no, auto parts, available, LOL if i can i will try to use goodyear milemaker hoses. and real clamps are getting tough even made in u.s.a. means little as we now compete with people who work for rice.
michigan
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2010 at 11:04AM
Two Clamps? :)
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2010 at 11:37AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Two Clamps? :)

That would have thought. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2010 at 2:33AM
Check the seam/solder joint where the neck goes into the rad tank. Sometimes they have been known to split the soldered seam there and will leak, making you think it's the hose when actually it's the soldered joint. Easy fix. Just clean it really well, flux and resolder. Just .02 cents worth.   
Ron 
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
 Post Reply Post Reply