The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

68 Camaro w/351W

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Camaro w/351W
    Posted: 16-July-2010 at 7:09AM
I went to a rod run this past weekend and saw this car. I am not really into crossbreeding cars but the way this car pissed off the offbrand guys was awesome. The sign on his dash said "When I grow up I want to be a Mustang". The 351 was a direct bolt in, he used chevelle motor mounts, and a 9inch out of a 68 Cougar which bolted right up also. This was also the first rod run that I saw another Gran Torino at. It was a 73 Formal roof, and I didnt take my 72 GTS, I had my 68 fastback Mustang out for the first time this year. We are supposed to meet up at a rodrun next Friday. I have pictures on my phone that I have downloaded to my memory card , but for some reason the computer cant see them. I will post them later after I talk to the at&t guy.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2010 at 1:07PM
That...is...AWESOME!!!  Some years ago I saw a Ranger with a decal in the rear window that read, "Built Ford Tough with Chevy Stuff."  That was the last straw, and at that point I swore I'd transplant a 460 into a mid-'80s Monte Carlo SS.  That hasn't happened yet, but since I now have an Olds 98 in my stable (wedding present...not a Ford, but a dang good car!), I'll settle for a mid-'80s Cutlass for a 460 transplant!  Wink

Pat

Edited by PatsPOS - 16-July-2010 at 3:40PM
'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 1:02PM
I finally got the pics of the 68 camaro downloaded. Thanks to my 14 yr. old daughter
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
torkair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torkair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2010 at 6:07PM
Too bad it wasn't a 351 Cleveland, but then again I couldn't see disgracing a mighty Cleveland like that, it just feels too wrong!
72 Gran Torino "sport"- in progress

73 Ranchero GT- Q code-460/C6/3.25 open rear
conard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2010 at 6:16PM
  It is hard to turn one from the dark side of the force but this is a good start (remember it took Luke three movies to do it)  All the best to everyone  Conard LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2010 at 3:34AM
I have been hanging around Troy at rod runs and shows and the way this car is recieved by the shoveme guys is awesome. They absolutely hate him for doing this. We all want to do a corvette next.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2010 at 9:30AM
I figured out how to make the pics smaller so here they are again.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2010 at 1:57PM
About three weeks ago I went to a special race and car show at Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown, MD.  It was their annual all-Ford show, meaning you either had to bring a Ford (or L-M product, of course) or a Ford-powered vehicle.  I'm sure that Camaro would have been VERY well-received!

Pat

P. S....unrelated, but interesting...took a Lincoln Mark VIII to race...whoda thunk a stock (except for a Traction-Lok diff) 17-year-old car with 100K on the clock would be able to turn a 15.10 @ 94.5?

Edited by PatsPOS - 10-September-2010 at 1:59PM
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-September-2010 at 6:00AM
Originally posted by PatsPOS PatsPOS wrote:

About three weeks ago I went to a special race and car show at Mason-Dixon Dragway in Hagerstown, MD.  It was their annual all-Ford show, meaning you either had to bring a Ford (or L-M product, of course) or a Ford-powered vehicle.  I'm sure that Camaro would have been VERY well-received!

Pat

P. S....unrelated, but interesting...took a Lincoln Mark VIII to race...whoda thunk a stock (except for a Traction-Lok diff) 17-year-old car with 100K on the clock would be able to turn a 15.10 @ 94.5?
I WOULD!
That is the MN12 chassis same as under my Thunderbird SC.
LOTS of parts on the MarkVIII are UPGRADES we look for to put on our hopped up SC.
ESPECIALLY the lower rear control arms and the differential, BOTH are Aluminum compared to the SC's cast iron/steel
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2010 at 12:44PM
What do the Super Coupes run in stock trim?  Always wondered...and did the SCs come with that pathetic 3.07 rear gear?  Wink

Pat
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2010 at 1:36PM
The SC comes with a 3.27 in the Automatics
The diff is the same 8.8" used in the solid axle.
So gears are readily available.

Here are the classes for the SC Shootout this year
Super Stock 13.90-14.999
 Mod 1 13.30-13.899
Mod 2 12.70-13.299
Mod 3 12.10-12.699
Pro Street 11.50-12.099
Outlaw Real fast

Not bad for a near 4000lb, rear wheel drive, 3.8L V-6.
Oh yeah and a Supercharger! lol
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
HbMarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HbMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 7:31PM
that is priceless, that car just brightend my whole evening.
72 gt 400m auto 10.2 @ 70mph in 1/8th

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. - George Orwell"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 12:55AM
hmm,I always wanted a 67 Camaro RS/SS cause my older brother that died had one for his first car.It had M50's on slots with skinny front runners and side pipes.built 350 4spd with line lock.had a rollbar as previous owner drag raced it with a bigblock.I fell in love with muscle cars because of that car.always get pissed when I see an old Ford hotrod and under the hood is a chevy motor.I should find a 67 Camaro and stuff my 351C in it.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 1:02AM
get a front tag saying"Dressed for success this car don't wear bowties"Ford Blue Oval under the words.Now that would get their goat around here,LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2010 at 7:35AM
I may try to get Troy to bring that car to Pigeon Forge with us. When I went to the Street Rod Show this year they gave away a 32 Ford with a 302 in it. I talked to the guy at the booth where it was and told him I liked seeing a Ford in a Ford. He told me the only reason people use Shovemes instead of Fords was because of the front sump on a Ford took too much work to make it fit in the old hot rods.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2010 at 2:05AM
that and cheby motors are cheap to build
 Post Reply Post Reply