The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lincoln Stick welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lincoln Stick welder
    Posted: 05-August-2010 at 10:47AM
Hello, we would now like to buy a welder (Thanks ConardLOL). My son found a Lincoln 225a stick welder on craigslist for $125 that is literally right down the street. Does anyone have experiance with these welders and would this be a good buy? If I do buy it, where do I buy the sticks, Ive never seen those before.
Thanks
-Lou and Brad

Edited by moose0211 - 05-August-2010 at 2:55PM
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 2:40PM
I've had one for years. They're a great hobby welder, especially for that price. You can buy rods most anywhere, probably cheapest at Harbour Freight(?). I've welded all different thicknesses of metal, but it's no good for body metal, of course.

Stan
moose0211 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose0211 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2010 at 3:00PM
Most people I talk to say it is a great welder and that they use it for like everything. I think I will jump on it, and I am going to leave the body to the bodyshop! lol. I will finally be able to fix the old cast iron seesaw!
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 4:38AM
I'm a certified welder and I can tell you that the Lincoln buzz boxes are pretty decent. The only problems with them is the lack of fine tuning of the amp output, but that can be rectified by using differing thickness of welding rod. Thinner rod burns hotter as it concentrates the power into a smaller arc.
Arc welders are great because of their reliablity and versitility. You can use different rods to pre-heat (which  you should do with that cast iron), you can even cut with a rod like 6011 or so. You WILL need to practice for a while before you get good results. They are not as easy to use as a wire feed mig as you must control the distance between the rod and the work fairly precisely. (just know that a wider gap = hotter arc.)

Good luck
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 11:05AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but could you explain how to cut with a 6011 rod?

Stan
TopGear (TG) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TopGear (TG) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 11:16AM
Well it's no plasma cutter, but depending on the thickness you're trying to cut it does the job. I've cut notches and holes in frames with good results. A 1/16" 6011 rod will burn through 16 gauge (.065) easily. Amp output at about 75amh. You won't want to cut a long cut as the heat will distort the material after a time.  Use 1/8" rod and power in the 80-90 range for thicker stuff. I don't recommend using a welder to cut anthing thicker than 1/4". Keep your arc gap as far as it will hold and work up hill on thin stuff, down hill on thick. Prepare to use a grinder to clean it up.
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2010 at 11:51AM
Thanks for the welding lesson. I'll give it a try sometime.

Stan
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2010 at 1:01PM
So it is my understanding that TIG and MIG welders are coming down in price also.

Although more $$$ than an inexpensive welder like the Lincoln, I have heard they are a good welder for the untrained person that won't use it but once in a while?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply