The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: 1972-1979 Body Insulator Bushings - UPDATED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 2:35AM
Even with an OEM bushing I managed to run -8 an (well 1/2" aluminum) line in the OEM fuel line location. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 2:51AM
Don't forget the small bushings on the frame side rails!
They are not bolt in, they go right about where your butt sits in the car to avoid any body/frame flex on that long run from front bushing to rear bushing.
It is rectangular shaped
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 3:22AM
Originally posted by cowboyupdjcarl cowboyupdjcarl wrote:

Don't forget the small bushings on the frame side rails!
They are not bolt in, they go right about where your butt sits in the car to avoid any body/frame flex on that long run from front bushing to rear bushing.

It is rectangular shaped

This is the reason for modifying the mounts.
Jim

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 3:32AM
maybe i should stick to the measurements given here
and shim evenly if needed for clearance. i'll also check my 72 factory manual to confirm, if the info is there

i'm not opposed to the Gasser look & have no sympathy for low profile 'rubber band on a rim' tires! not that i'm gonna do a 4" body lift either...
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2010 at 12:01PM
I would ensure you cut the new springs to the stock height as described.
that way EVERYTHING lines up!

If the busings are taller then you have ALOT more adjustments to make...
Rear might not fit correct at rear bumper valance fuel neck area
That bushing I mentioned won't work
The header panel will need shimming but that could cause issues with the fan hitting the shroud.
Then you have the front bumper might not line up! The shims and slots are not designed for much up and down movement.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2011 at 2:03PM
Below is a picture of one of the Crown Vic body insulator bushings mounted on my 72 GT. I think they worked great, but I have no idea if they are "right" or not.  They all installed easily and I used my old bolts. I did cut the units down as described by the original poster.  Seems there is about 1/2 to 5/8" between the body and the frame.  Don't know if that is too much, or too little, but it seems ok.

I appreciate you guys going to the trouble to find the parts and recommend them. Thanks much,

Ron

04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2011 at 5:30PM
Looks great!! glad we found a mount that will work!
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2011 at 5:44AM
looks great!
I wonder if I dipped the washers in a rubber coating if it would help reduce any body noise and also help not rust the spacer/washer or metal rub through the paint?
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2011 at 1:39PM
i will cut an old bicycle air chamber to the shape of the washer just to make sure to don't scratch the paint
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2011 at 1:18PM

looks great!
I wonder if I dipped the washers in a rubber coating if it would help reduce any body noise and also help not rust the spacer/washer or metal rub through the paint?

I honestly don't think rubber coating the washers will make any difference at all because you still have the mount to cushion. 
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2011 at 4:48PM
I am thinking the rubber coating would help keep the washer from rubbing off the paint causing future rust issues. Avoid Metal washer to Painted body surface contact.

97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 4:05AM
How about just coating the washer with some silicone then? That sounds like it may work pretty good.
Jim

Ron Earp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Earp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 4:06AM
Hey Fellows,

Q - I'm getting ready to mount the "front" of my car - the radiator support etc and noticed I'm going to need some bushings there too! And, I don't have any - has anyone come up with a solution for this?

R
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2011 at 5:06AM
Why not use the body bushing and space out the radiator support as needed? 
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
shanefolsom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shanefolsom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 1:53PM
did anyone every find out if these body bushings work for the radiator support too?  I pulled off my radiator support and definately need new bushings.  I am going to pull the body off and replace the body bushings too, so this thread looks very helpful.
1976 Gran Torino Limited #1
1976 Gran Torino Limited #2
1973 Gran Torino Sport
1969 Roadrunner
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2011 at 2:59PM
Since I moved in January I haven't had a chance to even think about working on the core mounts yet. But I will work on it as soon as I can get my new shop together. I do know the body mounts I came up with will not work for the core. I was looking at either using universal mounts or maybe trying mounts from something else.
Jim

Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2011 at 11:52AM
Yes, the rad support bushings are on my mind!!

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2011 at 2:49PM
mine are in!  i will post pics this weekend of the body and the frame married again.

i am about to need the radiator support bushings answer soon too.  here is a picture of mine originally.  it was 1 1/8 tall.  i think the crown vic bushings will work.  might need to add some spacing for when the bushing gets its "squishing"  on...

btw.  p.s. eliteman.  i friggin love your car.

---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 6:13AM
Thanks Malcom. Appreciate it.
 Here is what I came up with originally:

My mentality on this is, the rad support has some movement, as frame body alightment had to have some room to adjust. Don't totally want to lock it to the frame. Needs to float a small amount.

I've debated about taking a large, heavy washer, weld a tube the size of the frame, and have a holt just the bolt size centered.

As shown before, my mounts I got from Ford were the same size as what I pulled off my car oiginally so I figured using same OD I was covered.

When I fist installed them many moons ago...looked great:

You can see what's happened over time...started to mushroom out.

I say, get a universal amount from someone like Energy Suspension.
I am seriously thinking about trying even this for the frame to body:
Energy Suspension 4-7113R: Bushings, Strut Rod, Polyurethane, Red, Front, Ford, Mustang II/Pinto, Set 
Or, maybe a general kit like 3-7105G Energy Suspension Radius/Strut Arm Bushing Set from Summit Racing's ebay auction # 390306704197. This is a radius rod set for a nova2, but I'm going to see if this will work for me.

It's $28.90 with shipping. Screw it, I bought it. Geek

When I get it, I will lift my current bushings out and slide these in. If I need to modify the bushings, I will let you guys know. I have no issues if I need to weld a washer or plate.

I am more concered about a solid mount to the frame. I am tired of watching my front clip shake when I hammer down the road hard.

I have pretty much a 4 day weekend. I am going to work on swapping coil springs out, so same time I will do the bushings while the car is up in the air.

Grande Verde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grande Verde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2011 at 8:25AM
Im thinking about trying energy suspension part # 9-4102 universal body mount kit for my radiator support. Might need some modification but seems close

Edited by Grande Verde - 18-April-2011 at 8:42AM
Harry
72 GTS 351W
02 F-350 7.3 PSD
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2011 at 4:38PM
OK. Got the bushings today from Summit. They are damn near identical in size to the original bushings I have and the replacement Ford Mounts on the car.

OK, Harry, wish I would have seen that one. Bought it.
I am going to figure this out one way or another. Hope I see this show up Friday. I got my other stuff in 2 freaking days.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 5:22PM
OK. Got the universal body mount today. I like it. Would fit perfect, and cover a large area.
I shot a short video clip. Keep in mind, I sort of was only thinking of mounting the big bushing to the rad support, and the area between the rad support and the frame.
The large bushing I think is going to work well for this.

This weekend, weather is looking good, warm and sunny. Bet your ass I'm swapping springs AND the core support bushings.
I also spoke with Carl about this. Rethinking the bolt setup.
Anyways, here are some pictures, and the video clip:

Video: {click on picture}

OK, and here are some reference shots:
Original torino set up:

Comparing the Nova2 track bar bushings. These literally fit into the hole on the support PERFECT.

Comparison of the original mount:

Now, comparison of the universal Body Mount:

Trying to fit the tapered step, I was thinking of installing this INTO the support {Yes, I am occasionally the Gran Torino Sport Village Idiot}

And general shots of the bushings:

As mentioned before, I am going to fit the large mount on the frame, under the support, and inside the frame rail.
I may use a large washer and reuse my grade 8 bolts.

More to follow. 

Edited by Eliteman76 - 26-April-2011 at 5:25PM
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 6:51AM
I bought the uni mounts a few years back for this. I found they fit the frame perfectly but no way to mount to the core support. Also, look at the original setup. There is a solid steel "donut" bolted directly to the core. No rubber bushing at all. The only rubber is on either side of the frame. Maybe we can reuse "some" of the original mount? What is the number on that Nova II mount? I may try that with a combination of anything else I have. (which btw is a lot after trying a lot of different things)
Jim

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 8:47AM
Talked with Andy last night about this front mount set up.

After watching my front end and hearing Andy's horror stories about our noses moving around and denting sheet metal or scratching as it moves so much.

What we discussed is the reason the nose moves so much is that it is not mounted solid on the stock mounts. With rubber on top and bottom of both the core support AND the frame it allows it to move ALOT!
Thoughts are...
1. make the core support hole smaller (weld a THICK washer/steel plate in place)
2. a solid nut on top of the core support (welded or a nut with a tab to hold in place)
3. SOME type of mount on top and bottom of the FRAME (spacers can be used to make up space)
4. Long bolt up through Bushing/frame/bushing/spacers/core support/nut

Essentially making it just like a regular body mount. THAT will keep the bolt straight up and down with less road shock pivoting the mount and saving the front end from bouncing around traveling and damaging paint/sheet metal.
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 2:35PM
Sounds good, but I see a problem with welding a washer and/or nut to the core support. Doing so will take away movement for adjustability like the factory oval holes in the core support do.
Jim

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 3:09PM
OK, some reason I lost my post I just did.

I am going to pull the original mount off the core and look at it.
I am looking at using the large mount on the bottom, and if nothing else, an eliptical washer in that slot.
I had issues getting my front clip aligned, and it's irritating as hell.

Planning on doing this weekend. Had something come up that sort of screwed up my week bad, but will see what I can do.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 3:13PM
Jim-
Energy Suspension part# 3-7105G
Radius/Strut Arm Bushing Set
Summit Racing's ebay auction # 390306704197

energy suspension part # 9-4102 
universal body mount kit 
Summit Racing's ebay auction #370497943085
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 1:22AM

Talked with Andy last night about this front mount set up.

After watching my front end and hearing Andy's horror stories about our noses moving around and denting sheet metal or scratching as it moves so much.

What we discussed is the reason the nose moves so much is that it is not mounted solid on the stock mounts. With rubber on top and bottom of both the core support AND the frame it allows it to move ALOT!
Thoughts are...
1. make the core support hole smaller (weld a THICK washer/steel plate in place)
2. a solid nut on top of the core support (welded or a nut with a tab to hold in place)
3. SOME type of mount on top and bottom of the FRAME (spacers can be used to make up space)
4. Long bolt up through Bushing/frame/bushing/spacers/core support/nut

Essentially making it just like a regular body mount. THAT will keep the bolt straight up and down with less road shock pivoting the mount and saving the front end from bouncing around traveling and damaging paint/sheet metal.

Reading this, I sort of sat blankly and said "This is sort of what my 78 is like".

I'll get some pics. 
Paul
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 2:03PM
As I thought.. 

I present the setup on the 77-79 car... at least, on mine, here is the setup. I'll check the other Cougar in the AM (it's pouring out now).  No disrespect meant, but I thought you were nuts, Andy, going through all this.. It sounds like the 72 cars use something totally different than what I have here.
In Order from top to bottom.

Nut
Solid Spacer
Core Support
Solid Spacer
Bushing
Frame
Bushing
Washer (I think.. couldn't tell by feel)
Bolt head. 

Edited by Psquare75 - 28-April-2011 at 2:04PM
Paul
73GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2011 at 3:05PM
Paul,
Your setup is very similar to the 72-76 mounts. Like I said in a past post........
Originally posted by 73GTS 73GTS wrote:

look at the original setup. There is a solid steel "donut" bolted directly to the core. No rubber bushing at all. The only rubber is on either side of the frame. Maybe we can reuse "some" of the original mount?
Seems to me we could reuse the solid parts, get new bolts and a new rubber/poly mount for the frame. That should be easy.Wacko
Jim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>