The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No brake lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeksgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No brake lights
    Posted: 16-October-2010 at 3:56PM
what no brake lights  has running lights, no turn signals, changed flashers still no brake lights brake light switch is good  are there any hidden fuses  also changing turn signal and hazard switch.
clues??? know there is a fuse in headlight switch??integral any help
thanks
zeeks auto restorations
california
zeeks72gt
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2010 at 2:01AM
 How do you know the brake switch is good ?has it been off the brake peddle ? do the lites come on went you depress the plunger by hand, all other lites work , right? hazard and turn go through flashers, no extra fuses.

Edited by albo74 - 17-October-2010 at 2:05AM
albos73gts
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2010 at 2:19PM
If the rear tail lights are not illuminating from any source (hazzard, headlamp switch, turn signal, brake application) then it is not a brake light issue but rather a tail light issue.

Check all of your fuses, or better yet get a multi-meter and check for voltage at both sides of the fuse - sometimes the fuses can be blown but look OK.

Next I'd go back and check the bulb & sockets.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
zeeksgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeksgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2010 at 3:14PM
thanks  guys have checked all the above still no brake lights sockets bulbs all ok, brake light switch ok too.. we are still stumped but need a new turn signal and emergency flasher switch coming
we shall see
thanks again
zeeks72gt
zeeksgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeksgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-October-2010 at 2:56PM
update:switch new turn signal switch and hazard, no brake lights
new wire run to brake light switch now brake lights but no turn signals or flashers
WTF....
any other clues
thanks
zeek
zeeks72gt
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 9:49AM
 well you know the brake switch and bulbs work! I'm not sure but is this car rusty, salty ? got a good GROUND ?

Edited by albo74 - 29-October-2010 at 9:56AM
albos73gts
picon3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote picon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2010 at 1:40PM
Is it possible corrosion inside the bayonet sockets?  I had a similar problem this summer.  Housing and sockets looked good, but once I opened up the rubber surrounding the wiring/actual sockets, serious rust.  Just a thought.  P~
1972 GTS 351CJ-4V black/black
zeeksgt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeeksgt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 4:16PM

brake lights now work but no turn signals or hazards 

with new switch and hazard assembly they dont work , new wire run to brake lights stillhave the gremlin
any more clues?
thanks zeek
zeeks72gt
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2010 at 7:16PM
Um, blinker fluid is low?
WackoLOL

Sorry, stupid post, but I had to.

Head light switch is built with I want to say a circuit breaker. Breaker will trip if issue, but will reset after a while.
Wiggle the turn signal lever. I am having brake light issues on my F series, discovered the contacts are bad in spots on my truck.

In the trunk, disconnect the harness going to each tail light, and run a test light. Have a helper in the car to operate the brake lights, tail lights, etc.

If you are having alot of issue...pull the driver seat out.
Pull the rear seats out.
Pull up carpet.
Inspect wiring the runs in a channel under the carpet, see if you have any shorts, broken wires, etc.
See it before, mice got under the carpet and chewed wiring, on a daily driver car.

There are also testers to check the continuity of the individual circuits...I saw on Spike TV, I forget company, but a NICE powered tester with like a 15 foot cord on it for testing lights, etc.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
 Post Reply Post Reply