The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake Line Tubing Bender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Line Tubing Bender
    Posted: 23-December-2010 at 5:26AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

FWIW, are the lines that different on a bump side truck (f100 to F250?) I'd imagine the frame lines are exactly the same... Unless you're talking the axle/end of output lines.

I have not had the truck in the garage to do a full comparison yet, but the two front lines to the wheels have extra length and bends on the distribution block side (comes to the wheel just fine). Either InlineTube's master is wrong and the F-100 and F-250 are the same or the 100's are different. I had assumed (didn't bother to look it up) that the 250 has bigger brakes because of larger GVW.

My brake system is as follows:

two lines from master cylinder to proportioning valve

one line (front brake) from proportioning valve to another small distribution block that is a foot away or so

One line from proportioning valve to rear flex hose

two lines (one to front LH, the other to front RH) from distribution block to wheels

And of course two lines from rear flex hose to rear wheels

Total of 8 lines. This kit also had 8 lines.

I know the rear brake lines will be a little different because the 250 has the heavy duty Dana 60 axle and the big brakes (and the drums you need to remove the axle shaft to get off)

My thought was "this is as close as I can get", so while I am wary of modifying stainless lines that are pre-bent, it is probably a better path than making my own. Maybe after this I can make my own... We'll see how it goes.

I was going to take some photos to post them up to Fordification.com forums. I'll post them up here as well. Might get to this during Christmas break... We'll see.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2010 at 3:06AM
Agreed. I had a friend (who is fairly mechanically inclined) help me, and he just couldn't grasp it. As long as you can visualize what you're working with, and in the case of the protractor on the side, know some geometry, it's not that bad... but it can be monotonous tedious work, under a car.

FWIW, are the lines that different on a bump side truck (f100 to F250?) I'd imagine the frame lines are exactly the same... Unless you're talking the axle/end of output lines.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 4:06PM
Same as mine. I think the finished product is direct result of the person bending the piece. Not so much the brand name of the bender.
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 3:55PM
That looks just like the AutoZone piece.. Works great, the angle measurement does help.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 2:12PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
302ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 302ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 1:03PM
I just have the summit one. I usually just get the brake line with the coil protection over it and make most bends with my hands. Only for the tighter bends where i risk crimping it I use it.
79 LTD II 408/TKO/3.7's

11.78 117.3mph. drag radials
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 9:38AM
Sadly, I use the rentable bender from Auto Zone. I liked it so much, I just kept it. 
Paul
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2010 at 9:26AM
I was hunting around the forum, looking for mention of a recommended tubing bender for brake lines. I have a double flare kit, but never bought a good bender.

I know (from what I have heard) that the tubing bender can make or break a brake line job.

I have recently purchased some brake lines (stainless) for my 71 F-250. The problem is that InLineTube has them for a 71 F-100 2WD Power Disc setup, but not my F-250. The lines I got are close (as close as I'm going to get). I will need to shorten one end on some (most) where they go to the proportioning valve and the other distribution block.

I thought for sure someone had recommended a good tubing bender for brake lines, but searching I could not find it.

Does anyone have some suggestions for me?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply