The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedINFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: INFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback
    Posted: 09-July-2011 at 4:57AM
I've ordered two fast back rear window seals for my 72 from Dearborn. Neither fit, both seem like formal roof seals despite having the correct part number and all. Seem way too small and we don't think there is anyway they'd stretch over the window. Anyone else experience this?

I've returned the seals for a refund and they're looking into the situation. However, I need to get rolling on the window install so I can finish the car up. What other sources of rear window seals are there?

Ron
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2011 at 5:32AM
have you done the headliner or does your car have a good original headliner?
Just asking cause the headliner has to be done before the rear window instal as it wraps around the window flange to hold it.
I looked on Auto Krafters but they only have the formal roof
pn#D2OZ-6452084D

If Dearborn doesn't have the correct one I have no idea who does

How short is is because a formal roof glass is a big difference then a
fastback.Did you try laying it in the sunn to soften the rubber to see if it would stretch. My guess is they are gonna be a littel tight and need to be stretched but a formal seal would only go around the top part and sides and then the seal would be cutting off about 8 inches of glass.

wish you took photos of it as I could tell wether it just needed stretching or it was actually a formal roof glass seal
kversch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:07AM
I remember someone on here having similar problems with dearborn and rear window seals,  I dont recall who it was or what the outcome was exactly.

-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:37AM
I'll get some pictures. I also didn't know about the rear window having to go in AFTER the headliner. This is 100% correct? 
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2011 at 8:18AM
yes headliner has to be installed before the back glass cas the fabric of the headliner gets glued to the window opening flange and wraps around to the outside of that lip that the gasket sloand the gasket itself helps hold the headliner in place.
there is a new member who had a headliner installed and they didn't remove the glass to install it and simply glued it along that back edge and the heat melts the glue and the headliner starts to sag cause the headliner is not wrapped around that lip and then having the gasket over it to help keep it from coming loose.

Ask Eliteman76 aka Andy he installed his own headliner after hs 72 GTS
was painted and he said he will never do another cause it is such a PIA to stretch it and get it all tight with no loose or sags.

I din't want you to install the back glass if you have no headliner or plan on replacing it with a new one.
They also tuck under the edges of the roof channel that holds the roof channel gasket. I found this out when I was removing the driprail moldings on my 72 GTS and noticed the headliner material under the
roof channel after i took it off to get to the driprail screws
starskytorino View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:03PM
you might try steele rubber company they have seals for the 72 fastback body   web site steelerubber.com
73torinogt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2011 at 1:16PM
I had the same problem. The first one was way too small. They finally got me the correct one. Took about a month of calling and talking to guy named Levi.
73TorinoGT
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 7:31AM
Thanks guys. I'm calling and trying to get the right part but they seem a bit slow. Thanks,
Ron
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 5:21PM
Ron-
I bought my seal kit from Autokrafters.
I prefer to not say negative things, so I will leave it as I prefer to purchase my materials from Autokrafters.
My rear window seal came in around a month after I ordered my window kit.
The seals were made by John Carpenter reproductions, and they do nice work {At least the AutoKrafter's kit}. Only thing I feel is lacking was to a degree the beltline weather strip pieces, but this has been discussed to death.
Yes, the headliner is a complete PITA.

I almost want to redo mine. But I am not tearing my car back apart. I urethane sealed the side rails to the roof {thought I had black caulking/silicone}. SO I am SOL and JWF.

Have the head liner installed or take your time and take plenty or pain killers to remove the migraine you will have doing this job.

I'm whining about this, but really...it took me two days to get this mess installed.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2011 at 5:22PM
OH, another thing. We used water and dove dish soap mixed in a sprayer to allow the seal and window to help seat to the pinch weld.

MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2011 at 1:31AM
As a glass installer let me say that we used to use the soapy water to rope in rubber seal windows but it dries & cakes. Nowadays we use WD-40. Slips in like magic.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2011 at 5:28AM
Mark-
Got a question for you then...I would have probably done that, but paint was 7 days old at that point.
Figured soapy water was safer.

My rear window, I followed the assembly manual directions, but I am still getting minor water leakage in my trunk.
Would you lay a bead of urathane in the channel around the rear weatherstrip? I'm hesitant to do this, but irritated I am getting small amounts of water in the trunk.

MarkGubinski View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2011 at 1:16AM
Don't use urathane with the rubber gasket. It'll work for awhile then separate. Use "liquid butyl". That's what we call it anyway. It's a sealer made for what you are doing that stays soft. Should be able to get it at glass shops or auto body suppliers.
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

VorbottenO View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2011 at 8:13AM
I will chime in as well after having done both a headliner and rear window recently.
Yes, headliner must go in first, asprin is recommended (I used beer) but actually not all that bad of an experience.
Rear window seal, highly recommend WD for positioning and definitely use butyl. I tried urathane and ended up cutting it back out (that was whiskey night).
When I put it back again, I used a very little butyl in the actual gasket at the bottom.
No leaks and looks good.
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2011 at 9:00AM
the best stuff to use is a 3M bedding compound used for rubber gasket window intallation. It is better then the 3M window weld as it does not sag like window weld which is more of a liquid

3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound part #08509

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 18-July-2011 at 9:11AM
Ron Earp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 1:41AM
Guys, Dearnborn has sent me this "real seal" three times. I and my window installer don't see how it is going to fit. The straight part obviously goes at the bottom of the window. But the rest of it isn't nearly long enough to go around the window and doesn't have contoured edges.

Is this seal correct?
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
GT40s.com
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:55AM
Looks to be a formal roof seal as it don't look big enough for the fastback rear glass. I think the part numbers are mixed up and if you were to order a formal roof you might get the sport fastback gasket but I would call and see if they can put a hands on and open the box and check before sending it

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 26-July-2011 at 6:30AM
occupant View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 5:35AM
I'd be pretty po'd if I bought a formal roof seal, thinking it'll fit my sedan, and it be too big like it's for a fastback. It might be a year or two before I get around to recon on my package shelf and rear window trim, and I'll be installing a new seal when I do. I hope we're able to get this resolved with Dearborn/Ecklers by then. We have clout, we just need to USE it.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 5:47AM
Ron, sorry to see you are having crap for luck with Dearborn.
I prefer to not talk negitively about Dearborn, but I called up AutoKrafters as that is who I use for my parts.
The gentleman I spoke with at AutoKrafters said their vendor had been making the mistake, and they are due to get the correct Sport specific fastback glass weatherstripping in around 3-4 weeks.
He had said the Vendor was the one who had the problems with incorrect part number on the piece. Hell, I even remember mine coming in, with the part number crossed off and a different Ford number hand written on the label last April.
When I got my kit, alot of the weatherstripping from the kit, and specifically the rear glass weatherstrip came from a company called John Carpenter reproductions.
I brought up John Carpenter, and the AutoKrafters guy said, yes, that is the Vendor.

While I was discussing, I also brought up the belt line weatherstrips, and the 1/4 glass rollers, of which I got the answer I was expecting...the belt line weatherstrips are what is made by "Repops'"and no one makes the rear window roller guides for the 72-73.

Ron, bascially, you are going to have to sit tight, but in this case, don't get angry with Dearborn, I would just ask to have then send you the correct replacement specific for a '72 Gran Torino Sport, and specifically tell the it is the fastback roof, and not the formal roof model.

unlovedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 8:29AM
Does AutoKrafters make the color-keyed rear window gasket/weatherstrip for the formal top cars? The '72 I parted out had the tan moulding and my '76 has the maroon one. Just wanted to check before we start tearing out a window that I may not be able to get a new piece.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 10:24AM
Well if they won't physically go out in the wharehouse open the box and check before sending it they won't correct the problem if the part numbers are wrong. So call and see if they can check both seals and send you which ever one is bigger

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 26-July-2011 at 6:33AM
whifty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 11:24AM
Dennis Carpenter makes the reproduction rear window rubber for the fastback. The part # is D20Z-6342084-D. It only comes in black and is $70.00. The other original colors are not available.
He also makes it for the formal roof.

Search the part # at http://www.denniscarpenter.com  

Edited by whifty - 25-July-2011 at 11:27AM
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1972 429 Gran Torino Sport
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
ASE Certified Master Technician
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 12:57PM
What other colors? I thought all rear window gaskets are black rubber on every year 72-76

Edited by 73 ProStreetTorino - 26-July-2011 at 6:26AM
whifty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 12:59PM
No they weren't. Depends on what color your interior was. Originally my white interior had white rubber.

The colors were:

Edited by whifty - 25-July-2011 at 1:05PM
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
mule323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:07PM
Whifty's correct. Originally mine had a tan interior and a tan window seal. The new ones are all black though.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:41PM
is it only colored on the inside part? Kinda would look dumb with the outside a color although most of it is covered by the stainless moldings.well both my 73 >ormals hade black interiors and my 72 has blue interior but don't recall the gasket looking blue.I guess they made them in color as there was no trim over the rubber on the inside but thatks a new one for me as never seen a colored gasket before
mule323 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 3:12PM
Mine was tan on both sides. The molding does cover most of it on the outside so it wasn't very noticeable.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
whifty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2011 at 3:26PM
I always thought it was a stupid idea. My white one would get mildew on the outside, and I would have to put a little bleach to kill the mildew.
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
unlovedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2011 at 2:39AM
They are color keyed on both sides. I had to scrub mine thoroughly to get them to show their colors, but they did and looked pretty good. In retrospect, they probably had to do that in order to get the "finished" look on the inside, as the design made it show against the headliner. Guess I will be carefully removing mine from the '76 unless I decide to change colors.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2011 at 5:47AM
In the case of the rear glass weatherstip, the '73 GTS that I had sold to Jeff but ended up parting out due to not being able to ship, had the color keyed blue weatherstrip.

The ginger interior of the '73 sport sitting in Colorado at my buddy's place also was a ginger weatherstrip.
Issue becomes over time, the weatherstrips degrade and you need to replace them.

I'm thankful someone has the tooling to reproduce them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>