The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedINFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2011 at 5:59AM
Wishing i had seen this thread earlier :( ordered real window seal from dearborn for my 73 formal roof........and im sure everyone can guess.......i received one for fastback!!!!! Doh one look at it in package and i knew it was not right! called dearborn and they admitted they had a problem but it was the people they were getting it from part # correct for formal roof  but packaged wrong...they told me to send it back for refund but they could not get me the correct seal i need quite the piss off considering i ordered the whole weatherstrip kit and live in Canada! anyways if anyone has a formal roof seal and would want to trade? or if anyone needs a fastback window seal and does not want to go through the hassles let me know i have 25 days left to return!
CheersBeer
Git-R-Done
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2011 at 8:30AM
Chris thanks for the photos and the detailed intructions on the instalation. I am gonna copy and post it in the How to section for future refence for others who need to install thier back glass

I already have done this instalation process in many classic cars over the years as I work in the auto body industry and do classic car restorations but this will help the DIY( Do It Yourself)
guys that want to save money and tackle the job themselves.

I also combined all your instructions & photos under one post so when I had it all combined it made it easier to copy the complete instructions with your detailed photos

Thanks again Chris

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 12-November-2011 at 8:56AM
crispy23c View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2011 at 1:41PM
On a final note, I water tested it the first time an had minor leaks.  I ended up putting sealer in the channel and using the handle of a hobby paint brush to smooth it out.  This worked GREAT.
Did the hose test this weekend and it is totally waterproof!!!
Hooked up the defrost cable and light and *BAM* it works PERFECTLY!  This thing gets HOT!!!
So I am VERY pleased with the results, it went about as good as it could have.
Big THANK YOU to all that helped me figure it all out!!!
On to the next thing...

~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2011 at 8:16AM
yes I would suggest putting the sealer on the outside lip or see if you can work some in with the caulk tube and some nylon tools to lift the gasket slightly and get the sealer between the gasket and metal lip that is what keeps the water seeping between the gasket and seals the water from getting inside
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 10:58AM
WTF! So  I order a rear window gasket for my 75 formal roof,from auto Krafters.Part #D2OZ-6542084-D. Way to big for formal roof,must be a fastback gasket,packaged 10/18/11 manufactured by Dennis Carpenter.I guess they still have a problem.WTF,I need a formal roof gasket,Does anybody have a contact name at carpenter that they have dicussed this problem with?krafters suggested I contact Carpenters to find an answer.Will post pic later of window gaskets, Later.Thanks John
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 1:17PM
just order the fastback seal and you will get the formal roof gasket.
They got them backwards and guess they still haven't corrected the situation
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2012 at 3:04PM
Auto krafters says that don't have a listing for the fastback gasket any longer and(because it was the wrong gasket)they stopped selling it. Cammi ,the girl  at Auto Krafters,that originally took my order said that they have sold close to 150 formal D2OZ-6542084-D gaskets and only 3 were returned. I emailed auto krafters these pix.
I'll return the auto krafter gasket.contact Dennis carpenter directly and try to get the story.Talk about beating a dead horse!!!anybody have a new formal roof gasket to sell or trade for a fastback gasket?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2012 at 2:25PM

I called Dennis carpeter and they admitted that there was a problem before with gaskets being packaged incorrectly,(they supply krafters their gaskets).krafters probably had one of the problem gaskets still on their shelf.Carpenter said that they would ship out the correct gasket to me NO CHARGE,I didn't even purchase from them and their gonna make good for it,Thats great customer service.I recieved their gasket and it looks good.Clap

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 12:39AM
did yoy return the sportroof gasket?
I need to buy one
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 1:56PM

Jeff.yes i returned the gasket.If I would have know,I would have brought it down to you when I pick-up the project hood.Sorry.when you do get one order it from Carpenter,their suppling krafters with their gasket and probably dearborn but I'm not positive on that.

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2012 at 2:49PM
yah no big deal just figured if you still had it i would take it off your hands
i'm no rush to order one,just figured if you had it I could buy it  and save you the hassle of returning it
carguy47 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 3:46AM
I am in the same boat as Jeff. I need to purchase one as well. It scars me to think that I will probably be commenting in the future about the same issue. Angry  There was a guy I met at Goodguys Scottsdale that had his glass guy use two seals to make one that fit. It did look good. Just don't know that I want to go that route.
You have to build em to drive em!
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 2:30PM
At my job with the CT State Police,we use Payless auto glass for our glass work,One of there installers said that Payless can supply the correct gasket for our applications.Since I had gotten my own gasket,he said he would assist me with the install.with My friend/bodyguy still not feeling well,I'll probably take hime up on the offer as its a 2 person job,Iwonder if anyone as tried using a glass company for the install of rear glass using their gasket.It would be worth a call ,thats for sure.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2012 at 11:58PM
I install the back glass myself and it don't take 2 people,just myself and some 1/4 inch rope and
it goes right in.Never used another person even when it was a windshield with rubber gasket
John they are easy just make sure you use sealer or bedding compound under the gasket to seal from leaking
75GranMan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 12:33PM
Jeff,yes I know that the glass can be installed by one person,I've installed alot, from heavy equipment glass,butyl in glass,with so much time invested on this car it would be just plain stupid not to have an extra set of experienced hands.don't you think?
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
carguy47 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2012 at 3:53PM
DeadDead Guess what guys? The FUBAR continues with bot Dearborn, Carpenter and Autokrafters. I ordered a fastback seal from all three and each time I was sent a formal top or they called me a week later and said they could find it in their stock and had to credit my card. I even told each one of them and mentioned this forum and they said they "never heard of such a thing" and "we corrected the problem" and "of course it will fit a fastback, that 's what the number says".
Now I have a formal top rear window seal to send back. Anyone need one before I do this??

By the way, I even measured the stupid thing and called each tech department stating I needed them to measure the seal and it should be near 12.5 feet long.  "Well, we don't have one that long!"  NO KIDDING Shocked. "But the fastback one is here in the bag, according to the number". Boy, I guess they just don't get it.

OK..enough of the ranting. Anyone find a reputable supplier with a fastback seal?? The search continues.Ouch
robot9000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 8:00AM
Odd, I ordered the fastback seal from DBC and it looks right (seems to fit the outline of the window, but I have not pulled it yet.  I even mentioned the problems others have had when I ordered on line.

1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
unlovedford View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 8:27AM
I have read this with interest, as I have a Sportroof that I will be replacing the roof on. Obviously, the glass will have to be removed (F & R), so I'll make sure to confirm the new gasket application. Many thanks, and I will be rounding up an extra set of hands for the job.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
carguy47 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2012 at 12:08PM
DBC says they do not have any of the fastback seals. I just sent the one back they sent me. Way too short. It was marked fastback seal and what came was a formal top. Like I mentioned, it should be around 12.5 feet long. You might want to measure it.
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-August-2014 at 4:05PM
bringing this back to the top.

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
73torino gt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2014 at 3:07AM
Same problem here for a 73 formal,3 inches to big at the top bottom fits good though.wrong part from 2 different companies.macs and dennis carpenter my inside measurements is 127,they say 130.
Ranchero Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2014 at 3:36AM
There was recent discussion on Ranchero.us with rear window rubber from Dearborn classics, being too long also. The person rec'd the correct one from Steel Rubber Prod., maybe give them a look or call. I never used them myself, so can't say they're your answer.
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''
jharley79 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2014 at 7:57AM
I recently ordered the following rear window seal from Dennis Carpenter for my 1972 sport fastback.
ItemQtyPriceTotal
Rear Window Seal
Item # D20Z-6342084-D
1$70.00$70.00

It is the correct seal for the fastback.
Quick shipping, good price, no problems.

BackInBlack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2016 at 9:44AM
FYI...
For 72/73 fastback rear window seal; body code 63R

No luck with Dennis Carpenter for a 72/73 Rear window seal;  704-786-8139

No luck from Metro Rubber; 800-878-2237

Only place I found is from Steele Rubber

-John

-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 9:48AM
John, have you installed this to confirm it actually fits?  I assume it only comes in black, not colour matched to the interior like OEM?
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 10:08AM
I have not...   I'm getting ready to start paint prep and strip it down.   I'm going to buy all the weather stripping first before starting to make sure it all fits and is correct.

I replaced my rear seal years ago because it leaked and search the USA for the part.   This took me months...none to be found for a fastback.  I eventually found one at Dennis Carpenter where it had dropped behind a shelf.   I bought it on the spot.   I swear it was the last one in the nation.   

I called Steele Rubber and had the support guy walk through the body and spec codes to make sure it was good for the fastback.   I plan to buy it soon and yes to my knowledge only black. 

PS in the past everytime I ordered a fastback rear window seal the supplier would send me the sedan rear seal.  Wow was that a pain.  They would often refuse to pay for shipping as well.   What an awful experience.

Edited by BackInBlack - 11-May-2016 at 10:10AM
-John
1973 GTS
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2016 at 3:53PM
Does it only come in black?

Please post an update when you do get it installed.  I may have to replace mine when I get the funds to do a decent paint job on my car. 

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
GoldFinger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2016 at 4:01PM
This is quite an interesting thread!
I have a brand new headliner still rolled up because I read that the glass needs to be taken out...Did I read correctly?
I was waiting so I can buy the weather-stripping I need because all of mine need replacing including the back glass weather-stripping of course...
DARE to be DIFFERENT!!
       73 GTS
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2016 at 5:18PM
yes the headliner is glued over the lip for the seal
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Torino_Chris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2021 at 12:40AM
I have a question for you guys. My rear window leaks and it seems kind of risky for me to pull the glass out and reinstall it with a new gasket. Reason being that if anything breaks, like the trim around the glass or worst case the glass itself it will be almost impossible to find a replacement over here.
So I wonder if it might be possible to use this Butyl that was mentioned in the thread from the outside to seal the gasket back up? I'm thinking similar to the way you would seal a window in your house with acrylic/silicone if you know what I mean.

Seems a bit out there, what do you think? Geek
1988 Porsche 944
1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
My website: www.chrisherbphoto.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>