The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muffler Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muffler Questions
    Posted: 05-April-2012 at 1:41PM
Putting dual exhaust on the wagon this coming weekend. Plan to run pipes from the manifold back and exit out the rear quarters behind the rear wheels. Engine is a 429, transmission is an automatic. Using 2.5 inch pipe.

Questions:

I have a nice pair of Dynomax mufflers, a nice pair of Flowmasters, a nice set of turbo mufflers and a pair of stock ones. Even have a pair of guts! I want a good deep sound, but not obnoxious. That leaves the stockers out. Don't want a "clapped-out pickup wearing glasspacks" sound, though, LOL. Which of the others do you recommend?

Next, the muffler shops want $350+ to do this with me supplying my own mufflers - seems exhorbitant for just running a set of pipes. Thoughts?

Next, the 2.5 size figures to be the correct size for a big block that is stock. Thoughts?
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 1:49PM
I am using the dynomax muffers on my two roadmaster wagons and the car is pretty quiet at idle (with a nice rumble) and when you stick your foot into the gas it sounds real good. I am still running the stock resonators on these cars too. I know you will not so the sound will be even better without going over the top.   
NwOh_Starsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NwOh_Starsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 3:16PM
I had dynomax mufflers on my last torino and the pipes turned out right in front of the rear tires.  It sounded great, but without going over the rear axle it was pretty loud.  They should be much mellower. 
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 5:21PM
My thoughts... run the pipes back TO the mufflers... STOP THERE.

Then slip on the mufflers and run it up to see what the sound is.
Will not be exact as the tailpipes will change it and so will the cruising speed but at least you will get an idea what the MUFFLER sounds like.

Heck I would even go so far as to adapt the mufflers down to the stock down tubes and slip them on JUST TO GET AN IDEA.
Again it will NOT be the final sound but at least you get the ballpark of what the muffler does.
ie... raspy, rappy, quiet, deep, etc..
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 12:36AM
Super quiet?

3" head pipes.. 3" super turbo mufflers (dynomax) 2.5" tails and 2.5" resonators.

Did this on my F100

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/psquare75/Truck/?action=view&current=100_2185.mp4

fwiw, im into that for about $550
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 12:49AM
flowmaster muffler are expensive. I want the series 5 sound, but not at $105/muffler.
Joe, are all your muffler 2.5"? I just got a welder and will order pipe soon, I need 3" mufflers
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 3:00AM
Joe,
some of the exhaust shops have mandrel benders and you can't do over the rear axle in one piece like they can.If you buy pipe you will have to buy bends of various angles and weld them together
which is fine I guess but the pipe rusts at all the weld seams plus it's not smooth inside.

It also helps to install a H or X crossover to equalize pressure.For me the 2.5 with Dynomax duals and crossover is too quiet for me and that was on a highly modified 440 with high compression big cam,aluminum heads and SixPack carbs.You could here the cam a little if you stood at the rear at idle but she didn't wake up till you really was in it but not too load you couldn't drive it down the highway.
my thinking with a stock motor it might not b much louder then stock.
Which series Flowmasters do you have? as some are more quiet then others.
the 44's are the loud ones and the originals that all the Mustang guys used.

i'm not sure how much of a rumble you want as everyone's taste varies but with stock engine you won't have the cam thump and that can add to some of the rumble at idle so without it at an idle your exhaust sound will be quieter then a modified engine with cam so that is something to consider.

$350 with your muffflers may seem a tad high but what does that include?
is it mandrel bent pipe?is it aluminized pipe that resist rusting?what kind of clamps or is some of it welded together?

With the cost of fuel,everything is going up in price as everything gets shipped by trucks so for someone to make a profit and stay in business,prices are increasing so if the shop does quality mandrel bent exhaust then it might not be that bad if you want a really professional looking clean exhaust system.

I can weld up my own exhaust but when it comes time I plan on finding a good shop that does mandrel bent pipe so I can have one piece tailpipes over the axle and out the rear under the bumper.

so it's really hard for us to tell you what is best for you,we can only give you advice or ideas but it's your decision.

remember this though,fitting your own exhaust is going to be very time consuming with fitting pipe angles then welding it together then you want to get some type of quality hi heat paint that won't actually burn off the first time you fire it up.Something with ceramic in it is the better quality stuff.
add up all the cost of the pipe and preformed angle's,hangers and clamps and see what that will run compared to dropping it off at a shop and not having any frustrations or headaches
mule323 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mule323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2012 at 4:47PM
I have $650 in mine. 2-1/2" front to back all mandrel bent with a custom fabbed x pipe. Borla mufflers. They used clamps for the mufflers so I can take them out and swap in any kind I'd like at a later date if I wanted too. It was pricey but I don't regret it at all.
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6
Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 2:22AM
Steve the that did the work on your system did a great job!! Well worth the $650 spent.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 5:07AM
Like Dan mentiond, the dynomax super turbo's sound nice n mellow at idle and sound bad ass when you really get on it.  I put them on my 72 4speed car that Tom has now.  I bought the longer bodied one (19", same length as the factory mufflers).  Plus, they DID NOT drone at speed either.  Flowmasters are horrible for that annoying interior drone at speed.  I had bought UltraFlows for it but never got them put on as I ended up having to sell the car.  And running pipes to the axle and slipping the mufflers on to check out the sound, it wont even be close.  Year before last, when I had the new dual's w/ x-pipe put on the 74 cougar, he ran out of time that day to do the tails.  so we just left the mufflers with turn downs.  OMG, it was one bad ass sound mother f**ker.  the next week he was able to get it in and do the tails.  it REALLY REALLY toned down the sound. The end plan for the car was to run it in the prue stock drags so i HAD to run tails.  Had this NOT been the plan, I would have had him hack the tails off.  Damn, did it have a killer rumble, sans tails.
Mike
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 2:41AM
You could use the U Fit kit from Flowmaster, as I did. It isn't even necessary to weld if if you don't want, as it's all slip fit pipes.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 3:11AM
Spintech sportsman series... That's what I'm going to be using on my 472 when it goes in within the next few weeks.

The sportsman case is a bit quieter than the pro-street case.

Edited by 72BoB - 09-April-2012 at 3:12AM
1972 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 5:47AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

You could use the U Fit kit from Flowmaster, as I did. It isn't even necessary to weld if if you don't want, as it's all slip fit pipes.

Paul,

Remember the FlowMaster part number for the kit? Was it 2 1/2" all the way?

Thanks!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 6:02AM
Truthfully I used a 3" summit X kit with a flowmaster 2.5" kit for the tails only. 

It appears they make a stainless kit now, however. 
Paul
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 7:45AM
I have almost that exact same setup, but with Flowmasters and 2 little chrome pipes welded right onto the ends of the mufflers. I don't really like it because the fumes go into the car a lot. I'll change it soon I think. But mine only cost 300 and THEY included the mufflers. 2 1/2 inch.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 7:47AM
Don't you love how the stock pipes vary in width?? hehe.

75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 10:29AM
Great info. As soon as I get back in town, I plan on getting the exhaust done, so I will bring 2 sets of the mufflers with me. Their price is just standard machine-bent pipe, steel pipe, no X pipe. I will scout around locally to see if there is someone that can make a quality system. Probably put the Dynomax's on the wagon and save the Flows for the Sportroof. The '68 Cougar will get the guts. I love the bark that guts have, but it gets tiresome on an everyday basis.

Basically, I want the wagon to have a nice mellow rumble until I stand on it, the Sportroof (Tremec 5 speed) will have a healthy cam, so I want to hear it count off every lick (Flowmasters will do that), and the Cougar (T56) will be a 4.6 with serious Motorsport cams and I want it to just shout that it is different. Guts will absolutely do that.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 11:14AM
If I were doing mine again, I'd NOT weld the mufflers. I'd use band clamps, so the mufflers could be changed out easily.
Paul
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 12:47PM

If I were doing mine again, I'd NOT weld the mufflers. I'd use band clamps, so the mufflers could be changed out easily.

that a wise point, I'm gonna make sure to NOT weld the muffler
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 6:43PM

Three-bolt collector flanges work nicely, too. When I welded up the 3" system on my old '72, I used 3" Hooker Aerochambers with flanges on each end. Never had to drop the mufflers, but it would have been a cake job.
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 1:38AM
I did the 3 bolt flanges, and I found it to be difficult to line them up when assembling everything. 
Paul
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 2:29AM
If you have to run cats like my 79 then go with straight pipes the sound is smooth. Only thing my 79 ever won was best sound contest at a cruse in.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 12:42PM
Have to run cats on the Cougar with that drivetrain I'm using in order for it to run correctly. Ha. Cats on the Cat... This hotel room must be getting to me. Will be using aftermarket high flow units and the guts, so it will take a bit of the edge off the sound, but not a lot.

The '76 will require them by law, but it is a project waaaayyy down the road.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
OleDutchD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OleDutchD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 12:55PM

I did the 3 bolt flanges, and I found it to be difficult to line them up when assembling everything. 

In my case, Paul, we mocked everything as we went... bends, flanges, mufflers, hangers and all. Then when we were satisfied with fit and orientation, we tacked it all up, drug it out from underneath and finished MIG'ing it on the bench. Seemed to go back in rather smoothly. In hindsight, though, maybe clamps would've been less hassle.
Also... on a side note... after it was all done, and before we fired it up for the first time, we liberally coated all of the welds with moly never-seize. Right or wrong, the theory was that the exhaust heat would flash off the oil/soap base and bake the moly onto/into the fresh welds and help deter corrosion. I have to say that it seemed to work! We did it slowly in two or three steps and it left the welds with a bronzed/burnished appearance. I'm sure they'd corrode in time, but for the couple of years that I had it after we finished the job they looked as good as when we did it. Just a thought...
Just an analog guy stuck in a digital world!
 Post Reply Post Reply