The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2021 at 5:36PM
John, for the gas tank on the bike, a rotary tumbler type setup with polishing stones would work well. Or maybe a jig similar to a paint mixer but a lot slower and put a bunch of medua in there. Then just empty it out, vacuum, and seal. Done.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2021 at 5:06AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

geez that tank isn't as bad as the one on my bike... damn alcohol rusted  the crap out of mine, so bad that flakes get into the carb and clog it Angry i figured the only way is to use a small mower filter to trap itConfused with 8 coats of candy and 8 coats for clear on it ... boiling it out isn't an optionOuch 

fill it with your liquid of choice and some aggregate like Black Beauty and shake shake shake
72 GT Ute

jversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2021 at 2:26AM
Jerry VerSchneider
1972 Gran torino formal roof H Code
1973 Gran torino fast back H code.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2021 at 2:38PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

geez that tank isn't as bad as the one on my bike... damn alcohol rusted  the crap out of mine, so bad that flakes get into the carb and clog it Angry i figured the only way is to use a small mower filter to trap itConfused with 8 coats of candy and 8 coats for clear on it ... boiling it out isn't an optionOuch 

fill it with your liquid of choice and some aggregate like Black Beauty and shake shake shake
no im afraid that could put little starburst dings in the candy paintShocked
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 5:33AM
A brief update on my current situation. Went out to the shop to have a look at where we stood on the Torino. Nick has about 80-90% of the major panels worked and ready for 1st coat of high build primer. He was working the doors and still had to finish blocking the front fenders so things could all get rehung and shot so final blocking of the assembled body could begin.

He hates that things got drug out for so long and are now dead in the water but he still has a long road to go, so we agreed it's best to find another shop to take over the project. He said once I have a shop locked in to give him about a week and he would get the car reassembled and delivered to the facility taking over.

I have a meeting this afternoon with a gentlemen I had spoken to previously that was in the process of building a new shop when I gave the project to Nick. His shop is now up and running so hopefully he can get me in and get the Tomato across the finish line.... hopefully by Spring '22??

Wish me luck!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 8:27AM
   You are a better man than I. Patience is not a virtue with me unfortunately. Best of luck going forward.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 11:56AM
wow! glad you found someoneClap
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 12:21PM
Good news.  Here's hoping things come together for Spring 2022!
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 12:29PM
FWIW another guy i know near me just posted pics of his today it's finally red just needs to paint the stripe and reclear, but i think he said the shop had his for 5 yearsConfused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2021 at 10:37PM
Meeting went well.... he had some vehicles in his shop undergoing repair/restoration and was pleased with the quality of his work. We had spoken a couple years go about him doing my car when he was planning on doing his new shop, so he was aware of what I was wanting and had been following along on my Facebook page and had a pretty good idea of the progress Nick had made before things kinda fell apart.

He will have an opening in a couple weeks, so the plan is to get the Tomato stuck back together and moved to his shop right after Thanksgiving. Once the car is there, we can then better assess the time line. Looking forward to getting the project back on track! Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2021 at 2:03PM
For my Torino's gas tank, I took it to a shop that offered the Gas Tank RENU product/process:

I also had rust in the inside from the fuel sitting.

Good news you found a new place!

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2021 at 10:47PM
Spriegel, I have a new Spectra gas tank going in, but they didn't include the burp tube, so I'll be adding one to my new tank.

Thanks for the RENU info though...... Thumbs Up

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:05AM
Well after months of trying to get the car back together enough to get it moved to a new body shop, the impossible HAS BEEN COMPLETED!

First I want to thank my brutha Jim Conley for lending a hand getting the Torino ready to move. We got the hood strapped down and the car off the skates just as the rollback arrived for the move. Winching her up on the deck, transmission fluid started leaking out of the transmission. At first we thought the rear yoke seal was the culprit but once the car was up on the truck, we discovered the speedometer cable plug was gone and the B&M transmission fluid was coming from there (looks like I may have lost a couple quarts??).

Once she was choked down on the rollback...

off she went on her journey to the new shop. Luckily it was a beautiful day so we didn't have to worry about rain/snow/salt/etc and the trip was uneventful.

Once at the new shop, she was offloaded and we pushed her into her temporary position awaiting her turn for resurrection.

After seeing the car close up after over a year, I was appalled by her appearance! When the car was originally delivered to the first shop, you could have eaten off of it, but now it looks like a 20 year old abandoned barn find project! She's covered in sanding dust (expected), cob webs and surface rust has started on the raw metal surfaces where the phosphorus protectant coating was scuffed (?) away. Also the interior is covered in sanding dust as well and appears to have gotten wet as the dust is spotted as if misted with water, so the climate in the garages wasn't maintained very well!

With the car now at Moore's Body Shop, I will stop in one evening next week and we'll discuss what the plan of attack will be. I'm sure ALL the previous work will need to be stripped back down to bare metal to insure all the new work will be in flawless. Bill Moore, the shop owner, said it would be OK for me to go in whenever they are there and initially do an inventory of what is present to insure everything is there and then begin cleaning up the ole girl so she's not quite as nasty looking!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD THE NEXT PHASE IS UNDERWAY!!

Keep watching!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 27-February-2022 at 2:24AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:30AM
Well done with the move, I'm glad you are pleased to have it going in a better direction.

Did it bleed Ford blue?
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 4:26AM
Yes actually.... the B&M Trick Shift is BLUE!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 4:39AM
Very good, it was a loaded question. I loved the Trick Shift in my first 91 Lincoln, AOD.

I have several quarts left I believe, from using it in my last 91 due to a shifting issue. I think it's the rear modulator, the small weigh sticking or something. I don't think I can use the fluid for anything newer, the C6 is my only other trans I might use it for. That used to be $3.25 from Summit, it was very high the last time I hunted it.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 10:48AM
Joe,

You definitely have perseverance to overcome obstacles and challenges on your restoration.

Thanks for the update, it sounds like you are making progress.

Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 2:34PM
wow doesn't look like they did sh*t on that car Shocked if they weren't going to finish any bodywork on a section they should have at least sprayed it with a quality epoxy primer to protect it from moisture!!! that 2k surfacer and regular body filler isn't moistureproof! and why all the filler on that door? was it that bad???Shocked

Edited by californiajohnny - 27-February-2022 at 2:39PM
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 10:23PM
CJ, I believe he mudded the door (as well as other areas) and then quit working it without blocking it off. The more I've stewed on the car's condition since retaking her, the angrier I get Angry.... not only at him, but also at myself for not being more on top of it's progress. I guess I was banking on his past work, which was amazing, and not his current situation. Let's just say he seemed competent when I took the car to him and he started like gangbusters knocking the issues off the to do list, but I should have become concerned when the progress photos stopped and getting in touch with him became difficult. I guess sometimes "friends" don't make good employees!Ouch

The new shop is so MUCH CLOSER and easier to pop in on, so I'm afraid they'll start locking their door when they see my car pull into their lot! Big smile LOL, I know I'll be there every Saturday for a while as I am going to strip off the old filler and get her back down to bare metal so I'll know Bill's work won't be compromised!

Really pisses me off that I've lost two years time and $$$$$ and the car is worse than it was in 2010 when it left the dealership!! Censored

LESSON LEARNED

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 10:31PM
Originally posted by spriegel spriegel wrote:

Joe,
You definitely have perseverance to overcome obstacles and challenges on your restoration.
Thanks for the update, it sounds like you are making progress.
Looking forward to your updates.
Thanks,
Chris

Chris, it's really more sheer determinationOuch.... over the course of my life I've started several cars and get fairly deep into them and then life rears it's ugly head and I've had to let them go. When I started this build I promised myself come hell or high water and whether I am able to enjoy the fruits of my labor or not, I WILL complete this car or die trying!!

Fingers crossed and wish me luck!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2022 at 10:45PM

who wasted 2 rolls of tape on this wheel? i'd have just bagged it with a garbage bag and taped the end closed to the column... Confused

CJ, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I mummy-ized my steering wheel and column after seeing the condition of the interior when I picked her up!!! Cry

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 10:14AM
Joe,

Keep at it, we're all cheering for you.

I was actually trying to find your project thread recently to check-in to see how the restoration was going.

Keep us posted,

Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 12:38PM
Originally posted by spriegel spriegel wrote:

Joe,

Keep at it, we're all cheering for you.

I was actually trying to find your project thread recently to check-in to see how the restoration was going.

Keep us posted,

Chris

Chris said it best Joe.  We all want to see you succeed.  Good to hear that you got the car moved, but too bad about the deterioration.  Finding an good honest body shop these days is like finding hens teeth it seems.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 6:30PM
Glad I have a throw away steering wheel on my car until the paint and interior are done. Spent $900 to restore the one I'm planning to use.

Glad to see you were able to rescue your Torino and find a decent shop to get the work done Joe. You and I will have a race to the finish line to see whose S&H clone gets finished first Big smileLOL
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2022 at 11:48PM
Originally posted by torinomike650 torinomike650 wrote:

You and I will have a race to the finish line to see whose S&H clone gets finished first Big smileLOL

LOL LOL, mine has been a never ending project so I'd rather not jinx it by committing to a race to the finish.... as anal as I am, mine might not EVER be finished! Ouch  Big smile

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2022 at 8:59AM
LOL if you want to know who's anal just ask John how anal I've been about getting every detail right on my build LOL And I am hopeful that you will complete this soon, you've been working on this build far too long for it to never be done! Hopefully this change in shops helps the project get back on track and closer to accomplish your dream of getting this tomato on the road Clap
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2022 at 9:27PM
i think joe said somewhere it's been like 15 years on his??? so don't sweat it mike LOL
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2022 at 9:36PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

CJ, I believe he mudded the door (as well as other areas) and then quit working it without blocking it off. The more I've stewed on the car's condition since retaking her, the angrier I get Angry.... not only at him, but also at myself for not being more on top of it's progress. I guess I was banking on his past work, which was amazing, and not his current situation. Let's just say he seemed competent when I took the car to him and he started like gangbusters knocking the issues off the to do list, but I should have become concerned when the progress photos stopped and getting in touch with him became difficult. I guess sometimes "friends" don't make good employees!Ouch

The new shop is so MUCH CLOSER and easier to pop in on, so I'm afraid they'll start locking their door when they see my car pull into their lot! Big smile LOL, I know I'll be there every Saturday for a while as I am going to strip off the old filler and get her back down to bare metal so I'll know Bill's work won't be compromised!

Really pisses me off that I've lost two years time and $$$$$ and the car is worse than it was in 2010 when it left the dealership!! Censored

unfortunately it's more common than notCry sounds like the shop i worked for last year he'd do a little and post pics like he's doing something when a sharp eye can see they are old pics!!!Shocked looks like he's still doing that tooOuch he took big down payments from people, do hardly any work then use sh*t materialsShocked and with all that $$$ he couldn't pay us 3 that worked there ???Angry WTF!

LESSON LEARNED
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2022 at 2:15AM
I'd suggest I'm the slowest, but taking a picture of my original tag when I bought my truck would be embarrassing. I saved it because I paid for the personalized tag, which is my user name. I guess I'm waiting for the state to change back to white with Ford blue letters. We just went to dark blue and white letters, police cameras can't pick them up LOL.
Don
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2022 at 7:52AM
Well I popped in the body shop Saturday morning to do a complete inventory of everything we pulled out of the old shop last weekend and it appears we got everything except the front wheelhouses which are now at the old garage for pick up.

Pulled everything out of the car to get a look at where things stood and it looks like I gotta LOT of rework/clean up to do to get her back to where she was two years ago, but Bill assures me once he gets rolling on her, she'll come together pretty quickly.

What really broke my heart was how nasty the engine looks now!! Cry

Since my trunk was full of other stuff, I left all the loose bits to pick up and bring home later this week to start the redetailing everything. Ouch

FUN FUN FUN ALL OVER AGAIN

Edited by TV 2M8O - 06-March-2022 at 10:39PM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 41>