The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2022 at 9:18AM
Hi Joe,

Checking in, how are things progressing w/ the new shop?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2022 at 3:28AM
Brief update... the Tomato has been moved into it's work area, a little preliminary sanding done and it is in the on deck circle. A couple collision jobs and I think there was one last build being wrapped up when I stopped in week before last. I need to stop in this coming week to finalize a couple things on how I want the painting done and to see where we are now in the project queue. Fingers crossed.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2022 at 7:56AM
Great news Joe.  Keep us posted.

-Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2022 at 7:08PM
 keep on those guys, buddy!Wink
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 6:24AM
Well popped in at Moore's Body Shop on my way home from work Wednesday and was greeted with a surprise.... work has begun on the Tomato!! Seems the GTO that is in line ahead of her has had some frame damage and is off at the frame shop being repaired and looks like it's gonna take a while it get it straightened out, so they started doing some work on the Torino.

They pulled the doors and front sheetmetal to begin working the body and Bill noticed something didn't look right about the driver's side rear quarter. After comparing it to the passenger side, he found the quarter was bowed in about an inch and a quarter above the rear wheel opening!! Seems the replacement of the quarter panel had been botched at some point in the past, so his first order of business was to split the panel open and work the panel out to where it was supposed to be and closed it back up and finessed it.

So work is underway and it looks like I MOVED IT TO THE RIGHT SHOP and I'm eager to watch her progress back to perfection!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 6:30AM
Looking good and keep the updates coming! Clap
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 6:54AM
Great news Joe!  We'll be looking forward to the progress updates!

-Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 7:28AM
That must have been a happy moment for sure. Looking foreward to the progress.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2022 at 1:14PM
Happy to see that the car is finally getting worked on again.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2022 at 12:37PM
Stopped in the shop this past week to drop off the trim that Bill wanted to have for the roof rail, quarter window and body side molding. Found it all but the quarter window trim, so I still need to dig that out of my new stuff if I can't find the old ones I took off.

On a positive note, they are still working on the Torino body and it's really taking shape. Bill wanted the trim to confirm it is all going to fit up nicely as it should. Here are a few pictures of the work being done....

and he even got the pass thru plate welded in.

She's coming along slowly, but at least it's getting done!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2022 at 12:40PM
damn right...any progress is better than headaches frustration and empty promises...
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2022 at 6:48AM
Looking good Joe! 
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 1:15AM
Stopped in the bodyshop early last week to drop of a few additional pieces of trim they wanted and found they were working the trunk gutter and back window frame into shape as well as a bit more finessing of the driver side quarter. 

Looks like it won't be too much longer that they'll be shooting a bit of primer onto the body and then start massaging the doors and getting them rehung and aligned and setting the gaps.... Getting a little more excited!

This week I also got a few interior clips and the hood patch panel from CJ to replace a section of the underside hood frame that had been "clearanced" for something once upon a time?? I soaked it all overnight in EvapoRust, then sandblasted (I love sandblasting when it goes smoothly... very therapeutic!) and treated them all with Ospho. A few little rust holes to address, but the majority of them look like they are outside the area we will need to use so they shouldn't be too big an issue.

I'll post a couple more pics next weekend of what the Ospho looks like once it has dried.

Baby steps, but she's slowly progressing!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 1:38AM
Excellent, it's good to see you have a body shop that is delivering on the promise.

BTW, has the subject of body seams been discussed yet, with that shop, or Johnny here? I've always wondered which seams can be filled completely, and which have to have body filler in them.

I hate filler, as it hardens and cracks over time. The seam of the panel below the back window is one of the worst. When that filler lets go, the rust begins there, after a water leak makes an issue in the trunk.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 1:57AM
Don, I originally wanted the shop to smooth over the seams to make the trunk gutter surround "seamless" but they advised me that was NOT a good idea for the very reasons you mentioned... it cracks and allows moisture to collect, so once the panels were leveled and spot welded into position, the seams were treated with seam sealer and then the sealer was smoothed back away from the actual seam to appear factory correct. I really wanted that smooth seamless appearance.... but I didn't want the future worries!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 3:14AM
Thanks, I've kind of heard the same thing once before. The body sheet metal shouldn't be flexing enough to break any metal filled seam, but most types of bondo could crack there in some conditions.

The one that made me think of it was the rear door jamb of my 93 Explorer, when we replaced the quarter panel. The slight overlap of the metal panels left a line where they filled it with bondo. The guy cut the seam, the groove there, to make it look factory. I saw it after it was primered, and it made me mad to think they didn't smooth it. That seam may not have had seam sealer in it, so the line was a natural difference of the panels, just painted over. That's the kind of line I'd like smooth if possible, that one is a known rust spot to begin on many vehicles.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 4:39AM
Don, I'm going to see if I can get the shop to seam seal over the seam between the rear quarter and the jamb latch post for a nice smooth transition between quarter and the post.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 4:45AM
Great progress Joe! 
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2022 at 10:42PM
 if you want the seams filled... weld the joint solid with weld, grind smooth, then skim some duraglas filler to level it out! it is water proof unlike regular bondoWink thats what i do for custom jobs!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 12:17PM
Forgot to update back on May 28th....

Got a text message and pics from the bodyshop that they have applied the first coat of primer to the body! Still a couple areas to finesse before they move onto the doors.

Bill also asked that I bring him all the door innards so they can put everything in so the doors are weighted properly so they can get hung and the bodyline and gaps set correctly. Now the fun begins diving into a 15+ year old parts cache to try and find everything and then get them cleaned, repaired, replaced and ready for install.

Wish me luck!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 12:21PM
Fantastic updates Joe, keep them coming Wink

Also happy birthdayHugClapStar
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 1:35PM
So cool to see how much is getting done on our cars lately. 
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 2:34PM
Excellent, that looks like it's close enough to plan for installing all the trim and the rest of the car.

You might just weigh the door inner parts, and tell the body shop that number. They could just place something inside each door that weighs 5lbs or whatever that figure is, like balancing an engine they don't need the actual parts in place.
Don
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2022 at 12:38AM
Great job, it looks great!

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2022 at 5:04AM
Looking good!!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2022 at 3:57AM
Spoke with the body shop last week and they were starting on the doors this weekend which means I need to get my ass in gear and get the all door innards cleaned, lubed and any bad bits replaced. My last NOS door latch arrived on Friday, so I set about working the latch assemblies.

I pulled out the original passenger side latch assembly and set it up on the bench so I could figure out how the power lock sensor and actuator fit into the scheme of things and then started removing the rods one by one and cleaning them on the wire wheel and then installing them on the new door latch.

Need to run out today and pick up a few cans of brake clean so I can finish degreasing the power window mechanisms as well as getting the driver side latch assembly cleaned and rebuilt so I can drop off all the door innards to the bodyshop next week so they can reassemble the doors so they are weighted correctly when they rehang them onto the body to align the body lines and set the gaps correctly. I'll post a few pics of all the finished pieces once they've been completed.

I have a few questions about the window stops and related pieces that I will post under the '72-'76 Ford and Mercury banner so as not to sidetrack this post and have it available should someone else find themselves in the same boat.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 1:02AM
Been a couple weeks since my last update, so I thought I'd post a few new developments....

First, I now have all the door latch assemblies, window lift guides and lift arms cleaned, refreshed and ready to install. Need to repair the rubber tips of the window stops and then they will be ready for install as well. Talked with the shop and they asked me to NOT grease up everything so it would be cleaner for them installing all of it in the doors. Bill said he would grease up everything after final assembly.

While I was there last week, they had the passenger side door primed and ready to rehang and had started on the driver side door...

On Thursday, I got a message asking me to drop off the 2B Red so they could shoot the hinges and hinge post prior to rehanging the doors, so the driver door must be done as well. I got to their shop before they did on Saturday morning, so I left the paint under their vehicle shed and asked them to send me a couple pics of the driver's door for my progress blog.

Also while I was out on Saturday, I stopped in our local bike shop to see if they had a bike inner tube the correct size to use to make the sleeve to cover the power door lock actuator motors. Luckily they had just replaced a tube for a customer so there was one in their trash can that they gave to me... GOTTA LOVE FREE!! So my task for Sunday afternoon is to finish creating the sleeves to waterproof the actuator motors.

While I was at the dealership, I also located my Torino keys so I can get the new door lock cylinders rekeyed to work with the original Torino door key....

So while there wasn't a LOT done, there was still some progress!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 3:38AM
Great updates Joe! It's coming along slowly but surely
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 4:19AM
Well done Joe, that's great progress.

Question, the window bump stops, is that black coating firm, could it be similar to Plasti Dip? If it's the same, that could be an easy and great repair for those.
Don
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 11:43AM
 i thought you lost those levers on the door locks???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>