The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front End Alignment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front End Alignment
    Posted: 12-January-2023 at 5:09AM
Has anyone done their own front end alignment without using a shop?  The mechanics where I live are only good with the later vehicles and don't know how and don't have the proper tools to align cars from the 60's and 70's.  

Are there any DIY alignment tools you would recommend to do the job.. ?

Thanks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2023 at 7:14AM

Since I've lowered mine quite a bit, I had to elongate the upper A-arm adjustment slots to get proper camber. That said, I used a tape measure, string lines, jack stands(to attach string lines just past rear tires) and a 24" digital degree level. Can't check caster with any type of accuracy, but it was done over 13 years ago and the front set(s) of tires always wear evenly(I do rotate from time to time). Good luck and have some patience, for every adjustment you make changes more than one thing usually. 

www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2023 at 3:27AM
I would be interested in this too !
The prospect of dropping any of my classics off at ANY garage 
keeps me awake at night !  
Imagine doing an alignment on a 4 post lift would make it even an easier process as access to tie rods would be ideal . 
If anyone else has success stories of do it yourself alignments
and the tools they used please add to this link !
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2023 at 10:20AM
I have never been around any alignment work done at home etc, but some companies do make some tools to help with some of it.

Maximum Motorsports makes something to help with caster etc, made for late SN95 Mustangs using their TRE kits that space the TRE lower due to mixing parts(SN95 spindle on a Fox Mustang). So there should be some specialty tools to help with an at home alignment.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2023 at 11:55PM
72 GT Ute

pyntre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyntre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2023 at 11:49AM
I looked those caster tools up , seems they are for 77-79 era car . I wonder about that , how do you loosen the top control arm up and adjust stuff in fractional terms ? Just hit the control arm around till you get it where you want it ?! I like the idea of a threaded tool that would let you pull the arm fore and aft a few 1/6 “ at a time !
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2023 at 1:33PM
I bought these off EBay... It will make adjusting the caster and camber much easier.  All I need now is some sort of gauge that tells me what the angles are.. I'll keep looking.. there must be something out there.  
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2023 at 10:15AM
Originally posted by piper62j piper62j wrote:

I bought these off EBay... It will make adjusting the caster and camber much easier.  All I need now is some sort of gauge that tells me what the angles are.. I'll keep looking.. there must be something out there.  

Which tool did you buy? The OTC tool above is supposed to be for 1979 and newer Panther cars. Not sure the will work on our Torinos.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2023 at 11:10AM
 when i had mine aligned he used a pair of those J hook tools but they didnt fit too good in the holes (could have been frame paint?) so he used a similar set for import cars??? hope these are the right? i grabbed them on ebay last night... snap-on...$40 couldnt go wrong i figured...?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225033517693
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
piper62j View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2023 at 9:43AM
These are the OTC 7091 adapters.. They didn't fit the holes in the frame, so I just opened them up with the next size up drill.  I'm looking into those bubble alignment magnets that are for sale all over the place.. I've got a book with all the alignment specs, just don't have all the tools.   YET!
 Post Reply Post Reply